Echinodorus 'Red Flame'
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 12-29-2004, 05:45 PM   #1
Troy McClure
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure

Echinodorus 'Red Flame'

I'm having a difficult time deciding which sword plant to use as the centerpiece in my DIY 85gal, so maybe you folks can help me decide. I'm looking for a red sword plant with elongated strap-like leaves, which would lead me to E. 'Red Rubin.' Unfortunately, it sounds like the Red Rubin will grow far too tall. Max height would have to be under 18'. Would E. 'Red Flame' be a better choice? If not, how difficult would it be to keep the 'Red Rubin' under 18"? Thanks
Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2004, 08:40 PM   #2
lowcoaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Red Flames get just as big. Echinodorus Ozelot is a bit smaller as is Echinodorus "Apart". E. schlueteri Leopard" and E. sp. Gabrieli are 2 more choices.

Lots of Luck.
lowcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:23 AM   #3
Troy McClure
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey locoaster, nice of your to join. I was looking at your C. helferi auction the other night. How much of that stuff do you have available? You can PM me if you don't want to say out here...

The ozelot, apart, etc are more rounded leaves, correct? The tank will be dominated by grasslike plants (C. helferi across the back and micro tenellus across the front) so rounded leaves might be a better contrast unless I add dwarf lobelia near the base of the sword.

Red Rubin might be my only choice since color and shape are more important than size. Is it possible to keep it's size in check by removing the larger leaves?
Old 12-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #4
lowcoaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Hey locoaster, nice of your to join. I was looking at your C. helferi auction the other night. How much of that stuff do you have available? You can PM me if you don't want to say out here...

The ozelot, apart, etc are more rounded leaves, correct? The tank will be dominated by grasslike plants (C. helferi across the back and micro tenellus across the front) so rounded leaves might be a better contrast unless I add dwarf lobelia near the base of the sword.

Red Rubin might be my only choice since color and shape are more important than size. Is it possible to keep it's size in check by removing the larger leaves?
Hey Troy, thanks for the kind words. I have 12 groups in stock---how many did you want? I have Apart in stock as well and can usually get nice rubins (really large and full).

email me beadgc@nyc.rr.com. I am shipping Monday and making another order to Oriental next week.

lowcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #5
travis
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Love your movies Troy I've got an E. 'Red Flame' and can say with confidence that these things get very large. They've got massive root systems that will require a lot of substrate space too.

125G Planted Mbuna Tank
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:34 AM   #6
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Be forewarned that if you decide on going w/an ozelot sword, that it gets as large as E. bleheri. I have an ozelot in front of the E. bleheri and it covers up the height of the E. bleheri easily, as it's the same height and the leaves are about twice as wide as the E. bleheri.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Do I know this Ozelot, Eric?

Mike
Old 01-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #8
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah, Mike...you should know the beast of a plant.

It's amazing how large it has gotten. Also sprouted two adventitious shoots from it (at least ones that I can see) and there's a mass of plantlets on their way. Truly an amazing plant, down to its size.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #9
Troy McClure
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I'll try the E. apart to start then go from there if it doesn't fit my needs...