Driftwood in So Cal!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 02-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
astrosag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Driftwood in So Cal!

Now that I have my source of java, xmas and flame moss and some helpful members offering dwarf riccia (thanks to all of you), I wanted to see where everyone gets their driftwood.

I had checked out A+ in Temple City and they didn't have any at the time. Other LFS that aren't heavy on the planted side sell this stuff at high prices (and also the few plants they have).

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
astrosag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
Aubzilla
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Aubzilla

There is a post in S&S by PC1- (s)he lives in So Cal. Not sure how close to you, but (s)he lives in Beaumont.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...g-buy-2-a.html
Aubzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #3
astrosag
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aubzilla, thanks for the heads up. Riverside County, not close but not incredibly far either (I'm near the 210-605 juncture). I pm'd PC1, thanks.

Has anyone in So Cal had any luck finding any driftwood naturally (awkward phrasing - by that I mean in nature!).
astrosag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #4
sbhead
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I live in Santa Barbara about a month ago I went up in the mountains and walked along the edge of one of areas that burned two years ago. Within ten minutes I'd found more that enough manzanita to bring home and pick through. I soaked what I picked to use for two weeks then used an orange brush on a power drill to take off the bark and char. The stuff looks great in the tank, if you like manza anyway. I had also looked in creek beds and found some nice stuff that had been smoothed out by the water and looked more like "driftwood." Not sure about who to prep anything you might find on the beach for the tank, but I've seen some really night pieces on the beach recently too.
sbhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Allan's Tropical Fish in Venice has driftwood. I'm not a DW expert so all I can say is its the heavier, chunkier kind not the kind with a lot of branches.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.