Plans for Building a tank stand - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-06-2005, 02:24 AM   #16
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
<snip> Next to staring at my tanks, making sawdust is the best form of time wasting there is !
I'll second that!

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 05:40 AM   #17
lumpyfunk
Green Water Master

PTrader: (32/100%)

I am a huge fan of over engeneering something, espically a stand. My 90gal is on a 2x4 frame with notched 4x4 legs and a 2x4 base, you could park a truck on it. Plus I know I am not the best carpenter I know that even with slight imperfections in the stand, My tank aint going anywhere!
lumpyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2005, 07:57 AM   #18
grungefreek
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

John. P
See how your stand has the tank protruding out over the legs of the stand, supported only by the board top of the stand, do u think u will run into troubles with board warping and hence tank cracking???? I generally like to make my stands so each corner of the tank sits on a leg and the cross beams run under the edges of the tank. My thinking always was if the board warps due to the tank weight, the tank will crack. Especially if u happen to spill water on the board, it will generally warp for sure unless u used Marine ply. What do others think?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:22 PM   #19
jonah
Algae Grower

I found this the other day on one of the reef forums.
www.fishandtips.com
Check out the DIY Stand feature under "tools".
jonah 2:10

Oklahoma City Aquarium Association
www.okcaa.org
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #20
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Very interesting, but it's not exactly correct. For one thing a 2x4 isn't 2x4 but rather 1.5x3.5. So the numbers don't add up.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 12:14 AM   #21
brookline45
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to brookline45

I currently have a heavy 2x4 framed stand under construction. It will hold a 75g acrylic tank. The stand will receive a plywood top (needed for the acrylic ) and shelf. I will then wrap it with 1/2 birch ply. It took 6 2x4s to build the frame at 4'x18" x 29" high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010047.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	829  

brookline45 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2005, 04:02 AM   #22
Opiesilver
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you haven't chatted with FeatherFinFan yet you should. He's one of the old school DIY'ers and has built practically every part of a tank and stand that you can think of. Go check out some of his work on http://cichlid-forum.com.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:21 AM   #23
kunerd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
heh heh.. I agree... When I move (soon) I will be building a new stand for the 135 using all hardwoods with glassed in areas for equipment (Dark tinted glass, the equipment will be backlit with Red LED's for effect).
Did you ever build this stand. Would be neat to see wiht the LED's
Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
kunerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2005, 07:02 PM   #24
Mori
Wannabe Guru

You could even take a nice sturdy framework like brookline's and drywall it (yeah, I know you'll still need to add doors). Drywall may not sound water-friendly, and it isn't, but neither is the wall against which you're going to put the stand. Painted drywall is just as durable a veneer as thin hardwood skin if you aren't planning on moving it much. You can wipe water off anything and painted drywall cleans up nicely. It's not like it's structural and will cause problems if you somehow manage to soak it.

I really like some of the stands y'all have made. I do feel strongly about stands that are not furniture grade. Very bad! These stands are much nicer than the easily-found prefab ones. Much.
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #25
Troy McClure
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure

Here's a picture of my DIY tank and stand. I'm currently working on the canopy and, as you can see, I still need to make the stand door.

I drew up the plans myself based on the standard 2x4 frame.

A new stand I'm drawing up right now will be made out of a 3/4" MDF frame and wrapped with 1/4" cherry plywood and solid cherry trim. I have no idea how much it would cost to buy something like it, but if I make everything myself including the fluted/bead molding and the flat panel door, it'll price out to roughly $275 (with matching canopy.) Not bad considering some of the aweful crap I've seen for twice that much.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.