65 gallon tank upgrade - 5/20 Wild Angelfish!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

65 gallon tank upgrade - 5/20 Wild Angelfish!

Tank size: 36"WX18"DX24" 65 gallons
Substrate: Eco-Complete
CO2: Pressurized with Up-Aqua inline diffuser/atomizer
Heater: Hydor ETH inline 300W
Filter: Oldschool Catalina Eheim knockoff and/or Eheim 2026
Ferts: EI with K and Fe
Lighting: Coralife Aqualight 2X96w PC with very old 10000K/6700K bulbs

Flora: Major collectoritis going on here. These are the names I remember, subject to change, and probably all misspelled
Glosso
Crypt Parva
Blyxa
Rotala sp butterfly
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala sp. 'wallichii'
Rotala macrandra sp. green
Hygrophila sp.'Araguaia'
Clinopodium cf. brownei
Eichhornia diversifolia (maybe)
Anubias nana
Limnophila aromatica or Pogostemon stellatu (they look the same in the plant profiles)
Corkscrew Val
Some straight leaved Val that was an offspring of the corkscrew

Fauna:
Angelfish - 3, then adding 2
Cardinal tetra - 8
Rummynose Tetra - 6
Panda cory's - 6 + 2 fry
Bristlenose pleco
Clown pleco
Oto's ~5

Latest FTS 5/19/11

3/10/11

3/2/11

So here's the back story: my neighbor moved last December and didn't want to move all her tanks. I have been wanting to upgrade my 38 gallon, and had a 55 gallon waiting in the garage for some more parts. I decided to sell the 55 gallon and instead picked up this 65 gallon, a 20 long and half working Current Orbit light for $100 from her. I will be moving everything from the 38 gallon into the 65 gallon.

The nice part is that I can use the same light from the 38 since both tanks are 36" wide. The extra 6 inches (thats what she said ) of depth will be nice and i think the extra 2" of height will be nice for a leterally compressed fish like angels. The filter situation is somewhat still up in the air. The knockoff Eheim is currently on the 38 gallon and provides ok flow. However, its not as much as I would like. But, i'm running a PVC DIY reactor on it and no less than 6 90 degree bends, both of which are probably hurting flow. I also have an Eheim 2026 that i bought knowingly leaking from some one on here (CL?) with hope of repairing. I've replaced the primer seal and it still leaks, so its been sitting with little more investigation. An Up Aqua inline diffuser should be arriving this week. Once i get it installed and see how much flow improves I will determine if i need to keep working on the 2026 and get it operating to add more flow to the 65.

ok, enough rambling. Since everybody likes pics, here are pics of the 38 gallon that will be moved into the 65 gallon.

And now doing work building the stand for the 65 gallon. I'm going for a very simple, clean looking stand. Similar to an ADA stand.

Old and New

Tank with an extra bag of eco-complete waiting

Driftwood soaking

And that brings us up to date. All that is left of the stand is a little more sanding, then prime, paint and plumb. I HOPE to get everything moved over this weekend!
Any questions or comments are welcome!

Last edited by prjct92eh2; 05-20-2011 at 06:44 PM..
prjct92eh2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
XMX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (51/100%)

Nice job on the stand!
XMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

very nice! i like your moss mountain! im thinking of adding a few of those to my tank to give it some depth
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMX View Post
Nice job on the stand!
Thanks! It's not perfect, but it it could hold up a truck and was much cheaper than buying retiail. Hopefully I'll get to work on it a little more tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
very nice! i like your moss mountain! im thinking of adding a few of those to my tank to give it some depth
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't plan on moving the moss mountain/tree to the new tank. The java moss is a big pita. It gets in the Glosso and grows and makes it look nasty. I'm going to try and put a little more "scaping" into the 65 since it has more depth to work with. The plan is to have the new driftwood on the left side of the tank branching out, covered in either anubias or java fern, and maybe some taiwan or Christmas moss. Then along the back on the tank will be the straight vals. The right side will be mostly open with some stems in front of the vals. At least that's the plan anyway
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, a little bit to update. First some goodies came in the mail

Return will be in the back corners of the tank. Going to aim one at the front glass and the other along the back glass to try and create a circular water movement. Hopefully this will disperse CO2 well and keep detritus suspended decently. Didn't get a chance to install the CO2 diffuser because I was working on this....

Had to apply another coat of filler to the top seams due to small cracks. The wood filler was too course, so i ran out and got some Bondo to fill the small cracks. Also applied the first coat of Killz to the bottom shelf and one side of the door. Hopefully tonight I can do the last of the sanding and Killz the whole thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Finally got the joints satisfactory. Primer applied

Plan to get the first coat of paint on tonight. I also tested out the 2026 again. Still leaking from somewhere. I think it's from the output connection. Time to break out the superglue...
Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great pics, great looking tank! Thanks!
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #8
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! Hopefully the new one will improve on the old one.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I didn't get the tank setup this weekend, but I did get the stand 100% done, plumbing installed and leak tested, and all electrical accessories installed. Also got the Eheim 2026 leak fixed, so I will be running both canister filters. I would post pictures of all this, but i left the memory card at home
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

ok, big updates! First the stand got painted and I gathered supplies for plumbing

And here we are hard at work. Nothing like a good brew to go along with aquarium work

The stand finished and leak testing the plumbing

And I picked up this gadget after learning about it on a couple reefing websites

It basically a power strip that allows you to shut off individual devices without unplugging them. Perfect for turning off pumps during water changes, etc. Here it where I chose to Install it

Backside of the stand with plumbing and heater.

For those of you wanting the hingeless look, this is what I used. Got them from Lowe's

So that was Sunday. Then last night the big move was completed. First sourced a loyal helper.

Last shot of the 38 gallon before it was dismembered

Slid the old tank out and put the new one in its place. The width difference is very noticeable here. This is about 7 pm

Then I got to work. Sorry for the lack of pictures during this part, but i was somewhat busy. All the plants went in the blue rubbermaid bin in the above pic, along with tank water and some excel and Hydrogen Peroxide to hopefully kill off any remnants of BBA. Then the substrate was moved over and I added another 20 lb bag. Filters were hooked up in the new tank and then the fun of catching the fish began. And this is what I ended up with at 1 am.

Excuse the crappy angles ,the old tank was in the way when I took these. And here is the equipments.

The canister on the right isn't quite in its final place, i ran out of tubing and the old stuff is a little short. I'm going to pick up more today and get it slid back to the side. You will also notice the CO2 bottle is gone. Well between the floor of the stand being a couple inches higher, and the overall stand height an inch or so lower, I ran out of height inside the stand to keep it. For now its next to the tank. I will play with arranging to see if I can squeeze it in.

The good news is that it's finally setup and the floor was still dry when i left for work this morning Some items i'm still going to tweak:

1. Get CO2 tuned in. I left it pretty low so I didn't gas out the fish while at work. I'll slowly bump it up until the drop checker is slightly yellow and fish don't complain.

2. Play with flow. I didn't play with the filter outputs much. Right now they are both aimed at the center of the front glass. I need to play with them to get good flow around the tank. Good news is that those outputs are VERY easy to adjust. The filter that was on the old tank is gunked up from junk being stirred up during tear down and fish netting, so i'm sure it isn't flowing 100%. I'm going to leave it this way for a couple weeks until my biofilter has leveled out.

3. Tweak the scape. I'm pretty satisfied with the left side, but I think the right side needs some work. Might just need some edward scissorhands type trimming on the stems. We will see when things grow in.

Enough babbling. Any questions/comments/concerns?
Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 AM   #11
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love the sweet shut off strip....ingenious! What are you doing with the old tank...wish you would have left it up and just started a brand new tank in this one...
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #12
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! It's empty in the garage. Probably going to sell it. I don't like the dimensions on it too much, plus i cut the center support brace off of it in my earlier aquarium keeping days and now i'm paranoid about it haha. I have a 10 gallon and 5 gallon in addition to this tank, so I have plenty more to take care of.

Everything looked happy and healthy today. Turned the CO2 up some. Replanted some anubias that broke loose.

Here are the cory fry in the 5 gallon. They are about 5/8" of an inch now.

Going to give them another week or so and then put them in the 65 gallon. I also found 3 more fry while emptying out the 38 gallon. Put them in the 5 gallon, too.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #13
prjct92eh2
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well this is quite the monologue. I forgot to mention I ordered a new light fixture a couple days ago. The bulbs in the current fixture are who knows how old, and this new tank has glass tops which are cutting light intensity A LOT, mostly from condensation I believe. I figured for near the same price as new bulbs for my current fixture, I could try one of the Odyssea T5 fixtures that seem to be a VERY good bang for the buck and have decent reviews. I got the 4X39W model, which should give me plenty of light, even with the glass tops. I was in the LFS picking up tubing to move that second canister filter, and low and behold they carry Gieseman bulbs, which I've always heard good things about their Midday and Aquaflora on planted tanks. I picked up the Midday and since they didn't have the aquaflora I got the Current version of it. I'll be sure to post comparison pictures.

Last night I put in the longer tubing to get that second filter back into it's hole. I went ahead and cleaned the pads while I had it out. Flow seems improved from the cleaning. With the extra room freed up I was able to fit the CO2 bottle back under the stand, which is always a plus. Updated pics of the equipment to come.

All livestock seem to be doing well. In fact the tetra seem to be out in the open more than they used to be, which is really fun to watch them swim together schooling. I have a theory now why they used to hide out in the back of the old tank: mirrored background. The 38 had a mirrored background and possibly they thought their reflections were a bigger school of fish to swim with. Who knows.

New FTS soon!
Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
TankZen
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks nice!! I like that power strip with easy shut offs...cute pup! Dog's are always the best company for these kind of projects!

TankZen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I put that same light fixture on my 40b iwagumi ( http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...y-ada-ish.html )...and I have the smaller quad bulb on my 29, and i love them...they are really simple, cheap and even fixable for the dumbest of fishkeepers. They put out a lot...did you get the one with 4 cords? or just one....if you have the 4 cords you can put them on separate timers and have a really nice sunrise/sunset for the tank. but i have the one with only one cord and it stinks.
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.