Hot tap water quality
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-24-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hot tap water quality

Cooking instructions always specify using cold tap water. The explanation for this is that the hot water pipes are more corroded and the water from them tastes worse. I once filled glasses from both taps, let them arrive at room temperature and the hot tap water did taste worse to me.

So anyway I'm wondering if there is any thing objective out there about using hot tap water for aquariums. As mild as the Los Angeles climate is our winter cold tap water is cold enough to numb your hands when washing something in the sink. I keep a 3 gallon bucket under the sink with water aging for the next water change but sometimes I need more than 3 gallons of new water and I'm starting to wonder I should use the hot tap water for that extra during the winter.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #2
tamsin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

We can only use the cold kitchen tap because everything else goes via a water softener - that doesn't apply to everyone though.

We make RO via an outside tap so chilly in winter. For topping up I use room temp stuff that's just been sat inside but for a water change dropping a spare heater in the bucket is the easiest way to get a large quantity of water the right temp.
tamsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #3
Notydino
Algae Grower

If it taste worst. We are talking dissolved metal, present in large enough quantities that you can taste it. Eg copper will kill shrimp but great for whisky.

Use at your own discretion.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Notydino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Water heaters are lined with glass, so water that is stored there is not dissolving copper. The water in the copper pipes leading to the faucets can be removed by running the water for a minute or two before using any. So, copper isn't a problem. Hot water doesn't hold much air in solution, which makes it taste bad compared to cold water.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:18 AM   #5
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

If I remember correctly, theres bacteria present in your hot water heater that arent present in cold water lines. They supposedly deplete water quality although im not sure how. I know brewing beer with hot vs. cold the cold was always better.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
Notydino
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
If I remember correctly, theres bacteria present in your hot water heater that arent present in cold water lines. They supposedly deplete water quality although im not sure how. I know brewing beer with hot vs. cold the cold was always better.
I wonder if its the same bacteria we use for the aquarium lol

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
Notydino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Given that all municipal water suppliers keep a pretty high level of chlorine or chloramine in the water, how do the bacteria survive in the hot water heater? Maybe it is their dead bodies rotting in the water that give the bad taste
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Given that all municipal water suppliers keep a pretty high level of chlorine or chloramine in the water, how do the bacteria survive in the hot water heater? Maybe it is their dead bodies rotting in the water that give the bad taste
Interesting topic, and I would have thought like hoppy....

http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pag...r-heaters.html
http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/25/1/72.pdf
http://www.hhs.state.ne.us/enh/IronSulfurBacteria.pdf
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote