Bloodworms
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-02-2005, 12:52 AM   #1
Cdn_Chica
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb

Bloodworms

I am probably going to come out sounding really really blonde after I post this.
I was just wondering if anyone knows if "Blood"Worms actually have blood in them? I realise they are worms, thats a given but are they just called blood because they are red? or do they actually have blood in them?
I am asking this because if they actually have blood in them how healthy can that be for us humans to handle it? Obviously you dont eat it yourself, or go out for finger food after feeding your fish and not washing your hands.
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2005, 01:06 AM   #2
WolverineFan
Planted Member

It is because they appear to have blood in them.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
TheSmJ
Algae Grower

They do have blood in them, but It's processed lamb or pig blood.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Bloodworms are larvae of mosquito related insects (Chironomidae), also known as Midgets. They contain haemoglobin which causes their color. I don't think the larvae can carry any disease that can infect humans, so go ahead, feed your fish, have a bite yourself, and finally, lick your fingers really clean.

Of course, there are different bloodworms
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:26 AM   #5
TheSmJ
Algae Grower

The blood (hemogloben) is given to the "children" from the parents, who need to drink blood to lay their eggs.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:46 AM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Not really. Midgets/Chironomidae do not suck any blood. The real blood-thirsty/requiring mosquitos have larvae that are black/brownish/grey and hang out on the surface of water bodies and twirl down when disturbed. So do not eat these... bloodworms, however, are safe for human consumption.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 03:26 AM   #7
Bonsai_Swamp
Algae Grower

The biologists I know who handle chironomids are no sicker or crazier than the ones who just play on computers all day, so I think the risk of handling insect blood is slight. There have been reports of skin irritations after handling bloodworms, but the problem has never been severe enough for anyone to bother figuring out what the agent is - a protein, a toxin, sharp bits on the exoskeleton, ??

Just do like your basic paranoid biologist and wash your hands and arms before working on the aquarium, and handle things like bloodworms with a spatula or other tool. And if you do get addicted to bloodworm popsicles be sure to donate your body to science so we'll know for sure whether bloodworms are as healthy as, say, blood sausages.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 AM   #8
Cdn_Chica
Algae Grower

lol you all are thinking that I want to eat these things! GOD NO! I was just thinking that it was possible that it was human blood inside the bloodworms, and if it was I was thinking that is sick! But im glad that it isnt human blood. Thanx for all your answers!