60 gallon "In the Making"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (23/100%)

60 gallon "In the Making"

So for those of you who I haven't had the pleasure of chatting with yet, my name is Joshua and I am an undergrad here in Louisiana studying Electrical Engineering. I've kept planted tanks for about 3 years now, although I had a 1 year break in between. Before that I had a 75 gallon african cichlid tank.

I've been on both sides of the spectrum starting with a low light, low tech, 75 gallon where my plants did not thrive. No co2, and no fertilization, and low light led to very leggy plants that lacked luster, color, and sheen.

Now having been back in the hobby for almost a year now, I took the plunge into high tech, co2 enriched, highly fertilized, high light waters, and I love it. Its great being able to throw just about anything into a tank and get it to grow. And so this high tech 20 gallon has been running about 6 months and is doing great.

Now wouldn't you know it, my wonderful girlfriend who at first was a little taken back with my hobby, ended up wanting to upgrade my tank for me for Christmas. So I've searched around and found a 60 gallon breeder for $60 from a local (36"L x 20"H x 19"W). They looked so nice and such a great size for where I'm at in life that.... I bought 2 of them. 1 for the display and 1 for the sump/refugium.

Main idea of this tank comes from my engineering mindset, efficiency is key. If I can build something to do a particular task for me, then why not?

Second idea of this tank is that it will probably be in my living room when I get married, so display worthy is a must.

Things I plan on automating:

-Fertilization

-Lighting

-Water changes

-Auto top off

-LCD display showing temp, time, and ph levels.

Lighting

-DIY Dimmable t5ho based off of Dark Cobra's Build. 6 bulb fixture 36" with ice cap reflectors.

Filtration/Plumbing

With this build, I plan on using my first sump filtration system. After reading hours and hours worth of articles online, I figure that this will give me the best options for automation.

Filtration order will be TANK--> INTERNAL/EXTERNAL OVERFLOW --> SUMP --> CO2 REACTOR--> SUMP RETURN PUMP--> BACK TO DISPLAY TANK.

I'll post links with the parts at the bottom of this post.

Decided against the CPR overflow, I want a bullet proof system, and after talking with another guy over at TPT, I've decided that I will be drilling the tank. However, it will not be drilled in the standard way.

I want a system that will be very quiet, co2 efficient, and bullet proof in regards to structure and flooding. Because of this, Bean animal really caught my eye, its a great system, that is very safe and reliable and introduces very little to no air via the overflows. Overall, it sounds like the way to go.

However, my next dilemna was how can I make this look good and take as little space as possible? This is going to be a display tank, so I really don't want a big ole overflow box taking up a bunch of space on my back wall. A buddy, by the name of crazymittens here on TPT, had the solution. Use an internal/external overflow setup.

Basically you drill the tank like normal with holes, However, You also build an external box that will also have holes drilled into the bottom which is where the actual bulkheads will be located. From there you can do everything else like a normal Bean animal build. On the inside instead of a big overflow box, he just made maybe a 1.5" at most glass box overflow. Slapped a little prefilter guard for fish, and bam, high quality, safe, asthetically pleasing overflow system.

Once I get more details, I'll make sure to post them here.

Internal/External Overflow

Here are some pics describing the setup. Credit to crazymittens here on TPT. Let me know if you'd like me to take down the pics.

Mine will have 3 holes drilled like at 2 3/8" equally spaced on my 19" side. Here is my autocad drawing demonstrating the dimensions.

Sump design

Just about have everything I need to make this setup, including the marinepure filter media. Lol, I bought 2x (8"x8"x4") blocks. Each one is rated to filter 500 gallons of water alone. So basically this plus my poret filter foam walls and the added BB from the refugium will give me water clarity very close to that of a wet/dry setup.

Also incorporated will either be a needle wheel pump taking water from the sump, introducing co2 and returning back into the return pump on the sump, or I will use my current cerges reactor with a similar loop system returning to the return pump of the sump.

I will be using an Eheim 1260 as the return pump and hard plumb it with flexible pvc.

In addition, I'm thinking also about leaving room for a housefilter purigen reactor setup. Although this would be a luxury item that I'll leave room for but work on later.

Lastly I still have to leave room for whatever types of auto top off and auto water change system I will use. This is very much still in the design stages. I will update this post as things progress. Please look at the new sump designs below

Good sump links:

40 breeder wet dry setup: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...CO2-effeciency

​wet dry discussion: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...tarphire/page2

My sump design discussion: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=539209

internal/external overflow system:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=395426&page=8

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...395426&page=12

http://www.glassreef.com/basics_over...p?p=3#comments

Fertilization

Fertilization will be controlled with a pic18 microcontroller and use 3 peristallic pumps to dose fertilizers each day. More on this to come.

Substrate/Hardscape

As of right now, I'm leaning towards some sort of water buffering aquasoil. I'd like to have a slightly more acidic substrate than what I've been having. While my current substrate grows everything I put in it, it struggles with softer water crypts and stems. We will see, I've got more than half a year yet, until I'm ready to actually put in a substrate.

Thinking very heavily about a dutch hybrid themed tank, however, I will be incorporating my signature aroids and buces to give it a unique feel. Just wait its a comin...

Inspirational links:

http://peha68.pl/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/004.jpg

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=201532&page=8

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...e=3&highlight=

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...ll-article.htm

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...485889&page=11

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=498401&page=5

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=522545&page=6

Price List

Costs left for tank
-Ada aquasoil amazonia - $220 for 5x9 liter bags shipped
-eheim 1260 return pump- $170
-Ice cap reflectors x6 - $180
-hardscape materials - $120
-Glass pieces as quote by local glass shop - $85

total left: $775

Stand

Will have to be a custom build in order to incorporate the odd sizing of the 60 gallon tank and also be able to fit the 60 gallon sump.

Fauna

As of right now, for at least a few months of the tanks life, it will be shrimp only until everything stables out/ I make all the final arrangements.

My goal is to make a "community tank" of shrimp that won't interbreed, and that "could" potentially survive with small fish.

Shrimp species to note:

Caridina sp "Dark Green"

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=292066

http://www.planetinverts.com/Green%20Shrimp.html

Malawa Shrimp

http://www.theshrimptank.com/malawa/

Tangerine Tiger Shrimp

http://www.planetinverts.com/TangerineTiger.html

Amano shrimp

http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano%20Shrimp.html

Blue Diamond/Dark Blue Cherry Shrimp

After a while if I get bored with shrimp, my next choice of fauna would be 3 or 4 peter's elephantnose fish. I believe that my water quality will be more than adequate for these guys. They fascinate me.

pics from seriouslyfishy database

More than likely this will be a yearlong plus project. But I look forward to the challenge. I'll try and keep this initial post updated as time goes on in order to better keep track of all the parts of this complex system to be. Also posted will be links to helpful topics or discussions that brought me to my decisions on the tank.

Last updated: 3/27/2014

Last edited by pianofish; 03-27-2014 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: Fixed price list
pianofish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Already talking with my local glass shop and got a quote for a starphire front panel replacement. Got my Scs1200 construction adhesive silicone ready as well. Also going to eurobrace the top and bottom.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Space reserved for pictures
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Space reserved for updates
Old 03-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Awesommmmee. I was wondering when i'd see a journal pop up for this tank! Seems like you have a pretty solid plan. All of my sumps are designed like this, with the exception of the internal/external overflow, which is a great idea. Can't wait to see this come together!
Duck5003 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Ebi
Aquatic RASTA Farmer

PTrader: (120/100%)

Joshua

Awesome build! Those dimensions are great! Nice room to work with.
Keep us updated!

Subscribed.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #7
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck5003 View Post
Awesommmmee. I was wondering when i'd see a journal pop up for this tank! Seems like you have a pretty solid plan. All of my sumps are designed like this, with the exception of the internal/external overflow, which is a great idea. Can't wait to see this come together!
Thanks Duck, yeah I figured it would be good to have a place where all of my thoughts are stored together... I have so many DIY projects going on I'd get overwhelmed if I didnt haha. Do you find that forcing the water to go up through the filter media is effective? I'm worried that it will clog up and end up by passing my media? does that happen often? Yeah I'm pretty psyched about the internal external shindig, I think in the long run it'll be pretty sweet. Especially to have something skimming the film that collects on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
Joshua

Awesome build! Those dimensions are great! Nice room to work with.
Keep us updated!

Subscribed.
Thanks Mike, Yeah I think its gonna be great. Just a smidgen bigger than a 40 breeder and a good bit taller. So hopefully lots of room for my stems to get big and lush. Will do sir!

Joshua
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One suggestion i would make is having your initial entry into your media chamber from the top. Let gravity work for you, helps keep the flow moving to the pump area.

Another suggestion would be to add at least one additional filter media chamber. Benefits to this

-more room for filter media (never a bad thing)
-allows two areas for bacteria so you can clean and/or change the media in one and not skip a beat
-plenty of space to cycle media for other tanks

As far as the refugium, in my most recent one i decided to put it in the front of the sump. Reasons for doing this

-Reduces physical material getting into filter media which helps prevent clogging (although ive never once had a clog issue, it would take forever)
-Allows all the water the same filtration
-Plants THRIVE off the excess that settles in this tank as opposed to getting stuck in filter material and just being there

I also have fish in there, cull shrimp to clean, and a TON of snails.

Whats interesting about your sump though is the height (more reason to start the flow top to bottom) Below is a pic of my most recent sump. Its a 20 L and i actually gave it 4 chambers after the refugium in the front. Two for media, one to add my ferts and eventually diffuse my CO2 into once i get a non DIY setup, and then lastly my return pump which currently has my DIY CO2 line running directly into the impeller. With your sumps height i would probly just add one additional media chamber, and then your return pump chamber. Just some thoughts, honestly either way will work i've just begun to prefer this most recent one.

**I should also note this is by far my most quiet tank setup i have. It's actually shocking how quite it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140112_230715.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	296529  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140328_101104.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	296537  

Last edited by Duck5003; 03-28-2014 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: add
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey Duck, thanks so much for the input on the sump layout. Do you think that my current design would not work well? Do you think I could just reverse the current filter media layout and still have the media chamber first, but having it use gravity to its advantage? I would optimally like to keep my refugium in the middle for display purposes.
Thanks again,
Joshua
Old 04-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Hey Duck, thanks so much for the input on the sump layout. Do you think that my current design would not work well? Do you think I could just reverse the current filter media layout and still have the media chamber first, but having it use gravity to its advantage? I would optimally like to keep my refugium in the middle for display purposes.
Thanks again,
Joshua

I know it would work well for you. My most recent one is just a different way that i have found benefit in but it's one of those things in this hobby. Some like HOB, some like sponges, some like UGF, some use all 3. They all work! Your design would definitely work. Honestly, the thing about your sump....It's HUGE lol That sump could handle so much more than its supporting and honestly, i've never had a sump clog on me. A friend of mine has a 40B sump for his 75g lake tang tank with a center would be refugium (i'm gettin him into planted tanks ) and i'm pretty sure he's never even so much as rinsed that thing in over a year and it runs like a champ. Only difference on his is glass baffles and more of them on both ends of the refugium.

So really, up or down the water will flow just fine and your turnover rate will be more than enough. I love big projects like these, you'll have a ton of fun setting this up i'm sure. And i for one am excited to watch
Old 04-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
pianofish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well thanks Duck,
I really appreciate the feedback. I'm honestly really excited to see this come together. I've already purchased the poret foam blocks and pads, and I just got in my two 8x8x4" marine pure filter media sump blocks. Each block has enough surface area to support 500 gallons a PIECE. So my fishes will have pristine water conditions. Especially once I get my drip water change system implemented. Thats the goal anyway haha.

So I think over spring break I'm going to setup my sump tank and try to get that squared away with all the baffles and drilling for the drip drain.

I've also made an executive decision to sell one of my 60 gallons that would have been used for the display and get a custom 75 gallon with starphire glass front and sides. So the new dimensions will be (36"Lx24"Wx20"H) So I'm thinking with that added depth, I will put the internal overflow along the back. With it only being 1" Thick, the box won't stick out very much and with 24" in front to back depth, who cares about 1" at the very top of the tank.

Reasoning for doing this:
1. I'm going to be spending alot of time building this custom stand and custom light fixture so I want to make sure that I won't have the desire to upgrade for some several years to come.
2. I've already spent $60 on the tank and would be looking at $100+ for the glass to replace the front panel with starphire and to eurobrace everything.
3. It would take alot of time and effort to replace the front panel and all that jazz and well I'm in college for electrical engineering and a full time girlfriend (and job) and don't have a whole lot of extra time to do too many big projects.
4. If I'm gonna spend $200+ on a tank, I'd rather spend it on a professionally done new tank not fixing up a used one.

So all in all I will sell 1 60 gallon and then use that money plus what I would save by not getting the extra glass and put it towards a professionally built custom tank. Rimless of course Its also my birthday on May 5th, so hopefully I can make that swing.

What say you?
Joshua
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
Duck5003
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sounds like a very good decision to me. I don't think you'll ever find yourself saying, "damn, wish i had not swapped out that old used tank and upgraded to this custom built, new, bigger, beauty of a tank" lol however you may be saying the reverse of that, wanting to upgrade down the line and wishing you had.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.