How many people don't have a facebook page?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

View Poll Results: Facebook page?
Love it! Necessary part of my online life. 18 21.95%
Finally gave in and got one 20 24.39%
Still on the fence 4 4.88%
Never! Would not have one no matter what. 40 48.78%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #1
houstonhobby
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

How many people don't have a facebook page?

I don't have one and would never consider having one. I just don't like the company and it's attitudes about user data.
houstonhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

No way.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Not I.. People keep telling me to but if you can't email me or call me, don't bother

Maybe for business but definitely not for personal use.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #4
Vancat2
Planted Tank Obsessed

I fought it for a long time. Then finally signed on to see some old pics a friend had put on. Since then I have reconnected with a dozen old friends that I never would have otherwise. It's an addicting time waster, but it does have a a good side.
Vancat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Powchekny
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have one that I never update. Just the thought of Zuckerberg constantly jiggering with your privacy settings so he can sell your information skeeves me out.
Powchekny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
ferretowner96
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

I have one, but it is just because I am homeschooled, and so I can stay in contact with my friends. I am not one of those people who puts on their facebook everytime they make a bowel movement, I just play the games on their and chat with friends. To tell you the truth, I didn't even know I had a facebook for awhile, I just signed up for Farmville, and about three weeks later I figured it out. (duh! lol)
Rick
Old 02-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Facebook gives me the creeps, but I did finally start a page because it seemed like a business necessity.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
Jason Baliban
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban

I have one for Project Aquarium, does that count?

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pro...04933252873753

jB
Jason Baliban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Loop
Planted Tank Obsessed

Never want one. Everyone I know has one though. All my friends, my parents, even grandparents have been sucked in to that evil website. But I continue to fight it. As for "reconnecting" with lost friends, if I'm disconnected from someone I most likely did it on purpose. I hate the idea of people being able to find me after I went through the trouble to lose them. I think that Facebook causes more harm in the world than good. If you can't see it, it's too late. You've been brainwashed
Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
ferretowner96
Planted Member

Yeah, Facebook kinda ruined my first year in high school.I have been homeschooled most of my life. I loved it, but wanted to get out, experience the real world. Well, I started at a public school, and quickly made some friends. They were popular skaters, and I was a farm kid in my flannel shirts. Well, I thought we were good friends. One day, I was going to sit with them at lunch, like always. There was a kid in my seat though. I didn't really get it. I am like ok, and walk away and have to find another seat, and when I did, this kid moved. It was awkward. Kinda ruined my day. Well, I went home, and got on my facebook. I looked up the leader of this little group I was hanging with (not a gang, but a group of kids, and the kid who thought he was the best was what I called the leader.) Well, I look up his facebook and find something like this.

D-Would someone sit at our table tomorrow? Ricky is weird, and a freak.

A- Yeah, but who is Ricky?

J-The fat one?

D-Yeah

A-Yeah he is weird

And it went on and on. Over 70 comments trashing me, and over 30 likes. It was great. I don't really cry , but I did when I read that. I thought they were my friends, and they ruined me. I quit school that Monday. This happened on Friday.

That along with my depression + anxiety kinda put me over the edge, and I was in a rut for weeks. I don't really know if facebook was good or bad for me in this situation lol
Rick
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #11
Darkblade48

Used to use it, then started realizing there were more than 200 "friends" that I never talk to anyway, so I eventually got rid of it.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Loop
Planted Tank Obsessed

At least you found out about it I guess, but they shouldn't have been putting that on there anyway. It's impossible for everyone in the world to like everyone everyone else, so we can't all be best friends, but there's no need or benefit to trashing someone online where anyone can read it after acting like their friend. Sadly this is what most of the world has become. The entire world is about how cool you can be to others, and it's rediculous. Sometimes I wish I were born back in the 40s so I could live in a time where people had some respect for others. But it might be more depressing to have to watch the world go to hell overtime intead of just growing up in it.
Loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #13
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru

Sometimes you lose track of people just cause stuff happens. I've reconnected with old friends as well and enjoy catching up with them. I've also had people I want to avoid try to contact me and I just block them. You can put whatever info on there you want so no one is gonna come knocking on your door unless you're dimwitted enough to post your address on there.

ETA: Kids will always find a way to be mean. They did it before the internet existed and if there are any left they'll do it after the world blows up as well.
wendyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Great way to catch up with old friends, keep family and friends up to date on pics of kids, and just find out what everyone is up to.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #15
boringname
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretowner96 View Post
Yeah, Facebook kinda ruined my first year in high school.I have been homeschooled most of my life. I loved it, but wanted to get out, experience the real world. Well, I started at a public school, and quickly made some friends. They were popular skaters, and I was a farm kid in my flannel shirts. Well, I thought we were good friends. One day, I was going to sit with them at lunch, like always. There was a kid in my seat though. I didn't really get it. I am like ok, and walk away and have to find another seat, and when I did, this kid moved. It was awkward. Kinda ruined my day. Well, I went home, and got on my facebook. I looked up the leader of this little group I was hanging with (not a gang, but a group of kids, and the kid who thought he was the best was what I called the leader.) Well, I look up his facebook and find something like this.

D-Would someone sit at our table tomorrow? Ricky is weird, and a freak.

A- Yeah, but who is Ricky?

J-The fat one?

D-Yeah

A-Yeah he is weird

And it went on and on. Over 70 comments trashing me, and over 30 likes. It was great. I don't really cry , but I did when I read that. I thought they were my friends, and they ruined me. I quit school that Monday. This happened on Friday.

That along with my depression + anxiety kinda put me over the edge, and I was in a rut for weeks. I don't really know if facebook was good or bad for me in this situation lol
Rick
Not having to deal with stuff like this anymore is the only reason I can stand getting old.
boringname is offline   Reply With Quote