if pics are a thousand words....(2.5 pico) *PIC INTENSIVE* - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #46
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Thanks, that's great info and very encouraging. An excellent point is what you said about the balance of plants, and even plant placement, so that none are forced to compete. I never thought of that.

I forgot to say, I have mini pellia too.. it's a beautiful little plant.

Also (pls excuse the off topic question), but I have something that I believe may be related to the Downoi. It's called Eriocaulon Sp. Australia Blood Red.
I got this plant only a few weeks ago, and it seems to be deteriorating. It still looks alive and none of the leaves (more like tiny grass than leaves) have actually rotted or fallen away, but it just looks sick, and has lost some of it's red and green coloring. It's quite a rare plant as far as I know, but I think it has similar requirements to the Downoi. So, when you say your Downoi requires high Fe, do you mean regular, or actually a high dose? I wonder if I should increase my Yamato Green-N dose, and maybe do it 3 times a week instead of 2.. I also was thinking of using some Osmocote Plus, (just use tweezers and insert some of the tiny balls into the substrate near the roots)

What do you think?

Thanks again!
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #47
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

hey ADA, i cant really say much about Downoi. If you read the bottom of my first post, you might have noticed that i said my Downoi looked very different than the usual, and Joraan pointed out that it was due to low iron levels. I have since started a high dosing, regular regiment of Fe every other day. The Downoi has been in the tank for a while without the iron for a while--so i suspect it was able to manage because of the CO2 and light. Hopefully it will grow the way how it's supposed to in the near future.
amphirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #48
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
hey ADA, i cant really say much about Downoi. If you read the bottom of my first post, you might have noticed that i said my Downoi looked very different than the usual, and Joraan pointed out that it was due to low iron levels. I have since started a high dosing, regular regiment of Fe every other day. The Downoi has been in the tank for a while without the iron for a while--so i suspect it was able to manage because of the CO2 and light. Hopefully it will grow the way how it's supposed to in the near future.
Thanks again for your quick replies and advice.
Good luck with the Downoi.. that's a really beautiful plant. I will post later in a new thread about my sick plant.. hopefully someone out there has some experience with these.

I'll be following this thread.. looking forward to updates from you here, again, well done with this tank. Everything about it is fantastic! Hardscape included.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:50 PM   #49
sejoy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

First of all, your tank is stunning. I'm envious of pretty much everything about it, especially the CPDs. I agree with karackle, it looks way bigger than 2.5g.
I know it's been a while, but if you update this in the future would you mind elaborating on your lighting and DIY CO2 setup?
sejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #50
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow...it's been a while...decided to do something different, but yet familiar...i like the concept of overhangs, so i wanted to try something along that line...

@sejoy: sorry, i havent looked at this thread in a while, lighting is very high... i use a 32 watt lamp so thats roughly 16-17 watts/gallon? DIY CO2 set up consists of 2 yeast reactors (gatorade bottles) that are alternately switched to ensure a steady supply of CO2. as one reactor peters out, the other one revs up.

here's an update if anyone is interested:
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #51
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

damn i just had to double check your title. that does NOT look like a 2.5G tank. very nicely done!
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #52
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

@gnod: thanks. the main trick is in the details....if you have small detailed twigs, branches, and rocks---they will help make the tank look much larger. personally, i would avoid rocks that do not have any cracks, chips, strata, as they give more of a sense of newness and no age.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #53
inka4041
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Gorgeous! It's got an awesome windswept look to it.
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #54
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

@inka: thanks very much! i was trying to go for that effect. also, your gobies are gorgeous!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:26 AM   #55
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

where'd you get those little detailed branches?
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #56
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

@gnod: i found them through a vendor, http://www.thedriftwoodstore.com/
you might have to personally contact them and custom request your order---but they're really good with communication so you'd be able to find what you're looking for.

i ordered about 3 of these branches and broke them into smaller pieces.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:00 AM   #57
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Man, I used to have a metric ton of spindly manzanita branches like those that I couldn't even give away. They're really handy for <5 gallon tanks though.

I'm sad to see the UG go, but this looks like it'll be just as spectacular.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #58
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

@dollface: sad isnt it? people just dont know what they're missing out on.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #59
inka4041
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
@inka: thanks very much! i was trying to go for that effect. also, your gobies are gorgeous!
Thank you! I really love the shoreline look too. Seems almost a shame that it'll eventually be flooded. This would be an awesome scape for skips or some amphibious creatures, if it were on a way larger scale. Any ideas on stocking?
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:20 PM   #60
ItsDubC
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Great scapes!

Just curious about the previous iteration of this tank. 10x C. pygmaeus, 10x B. brigittae, and 3x CPDs seems like a HUGE stocking level for a 2.5g. Assuming you didn't add all of these guys at once, at what rate did you introduce them to your tank?
ItsDubC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.5 gallons, amphirion, nano, pico