Buying a house - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 12-30-2004, 08:56 PM   #16
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Well that was quick, no need to move the tanks even
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2004, 09:04 PM   #17
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)

lol.. I have to move the tanks upstairs... Not as big of a deal as trucking them across town though!
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 09:05 PM   #18
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

This is sobering. We bought here two years ago, which is good b/c we couldn't do it now.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM   #19
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Sounds familiar... Here is a blurb I grabbed off the Victoria Real Estate Board:

Quote:
Waterfront Sales Boost Average Home Prices Again December 1, 2004

The average price of single family homes sold in the Victoria area hit a record high in November for the second month in a row. Eleven sales of waterfront property with an overall average of over $875,000 helped push the average price of single-family homes to a new record of $415,323.

Victoria Real Estate Board President Carol Geurts says it’s important to keep prices in perspective. "High-priced sales will always tend to skew the overall average higher. The median or mid-point price range for single family homes last month was $368,000. Forty-two per cent of single family home sales last month were for below $340,000 and just under a quarter of the sales were for less than $300,000 meaning that there are many homes available in more affordable price ranges." The six-month average up to an including November was $394,556.

The average price of all condominiums sold last month was $221,229; the average for the last six-months was $206,260. The average price of all townhomes sold last month was $306,213; the average for the last six-months was $301,462.

There were 583 sales of homes and other properties through the Victoria Real Estate Board’s Multiple Listing Service® (MLS®) in November, down from 614 in October but up slightly from the 574 sales in November of last year.

MLS® sales in Greater Victoria last month included 326 single family homes, 154 condominiums, 44 townhomes and 19 manufactured homes.

There were 2,285 homes and other properties available for sale last month which is 24% higher than a year ago.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 PM   #20
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth
You can see the running trend... 25+ year old houses.... I don't have a lot of money so its pretty frustrating.. I would prefer something newer.
Dang bro, 25 years old is new... mine was 153 years old when I bought it. Good thing I got a lil "Bob V" blood in me !
I paid 184k for this farmhouse with 4 cleared acres and barns. Most of the houses being built around here are 330k and up, and the average house is going for 180-200k...it disgusts me. I was in the right place at the right time.

My 2 cents worth of advice... dont strap yourself for a house payment to the point where you live in fear of missing a weeks paycheck due to an illness ! Remember, a house is still just a place to keep our stuff...
Old 12-30-2004, 09:59 PM   #21
turbomkt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt

My wife and I bought our house in 1997. In fact, we are days away from the 8 year anniversary of the purchase. Paid $170k. Now it's worth nearly $700k.

This is info on the housing market in San Diego:
http://www.sdhc.net/giaboutus2.shtml

At the same time, my mother lives in Henderson, Nv (A suburb of Las Vegas). Because there is so much land to develop her house has only gone up $60k in the same amount of time mine has gone up $500k. It all depends on the area.

Bottom line...buy when you can. Like was already said, prices will only continue to go up. I am NOT making the $135k a year it would take to get a lesser house than what I'm in now. Luckily the 25 min commute to work includes a killer burrito shop on the way. If you can rent out to mitigate the costs, do it. But...do you pay for water, electricity, trash, sewage, etc as a renter now? Those are some of the hidden costs. Maybe you can sit down with the landlord and ask him to break down the numbers for you.
Eheim Pimp #41
turbomkt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 PM   #22
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I could never be a landlord...I would most likely end up in jail with some of the crap that "one bad tenant" can deal you.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:21 PM   #23
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

My options suck.... My bank won't raise the mortgage more then a fraction even with the rental income so I need a co-applicant. If I don't have a co-applicant.. or someone willing to hand me $50,000 then I have to move.. by the end of January... So I'll be tearing down all my tanks in two weeks.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:02 PM   #24
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I will never be able to afford a house, besides the high prices add on high taxes. My uncle is having an 1800sq foot house built, and his taxes may be as high as $5000 a year. Doesn't this seem excessive? Sure the property values will go up, but he never plans on moving, and couldn't afford anything else if he could.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 PM   #25
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urkevitz
I will never be able to afford a house, besides the high prices add on high taxes. My uncle is having an 1800sq foot house built, and his taxes may be as high as $5000 a year. Doesn't this seem excessive? Sure the property values will go up, but he never plans on moving, and couldn't afford anything else if he could.
Urkevitz, yeah, unless you move to a more reasonable region of the country, lots of luck finding a house you can afford around NY/NJ. I'm visiting my parents in NJ this week and it's unbelievable how expensive and crowded it has gotten since I moved away five years ago.
A quarter million dollars is pretty much a starter home in these parts, and for that you need to save up fifty grand just for a min down payment. I would never have gotten into a home at my age if I stayed around here. Moral of the story - there are other regions that are rapidly devloping, with good jobs and far more affordable homes. Look around, broaden you horizons!\

Gareth - sweet deal on the duplex! There's nothing like supplemental income to help with the mortgage/taxes/etc.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #26
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

what are ou going to do wiht the fish for the 2 weeks in between jan 14th and jan 30th
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2004, 01:01 AM   #27
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Woot... got the mortgage up to $250,000... now I just need $20,000 cash for a down payment....
Old 12-31-2004, 01:17 AM   #28
Kris
Planted Tank Enthusiast

congrats!!! although the down payment is nothing to sneeze at...
keep us posted!

30 gallon tall, pressurized CO2...killer lights
50 gallon long, killer filtration, low tech otherwise
Kris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2004, 02:57 AM   #29
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Dang bro, 25 years old is new... mine was 153 years old when I bought it. Good thing I got a lil "Bob V" blood in me !
I paid 184k for this farmhouse with 4 cleared acres and barns. Most of the houses being built around here are 330k and up, and the average house is going for 180-200k...it disgusts me. I was in the right place at the right time.

My 2 cents worth of advice... dont strap yourself for a house payment to the point where you live in fear of missing a weeks paycheck due to an illness ! Remember, a house is still just a place to keep our stuff...

It looks like my mortgage will be around $1300 a month, which is about 1/3rd of my pay after taxes... so it certainly wont break me at all. I've also got an extra $800 a month coming in on rent from my tenants who are already waiting for me to grab the house.
Old 12-31-2004, 03:05 AM   #30
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Urkevitz, yeah, unless you move to a more reasonable region of the country, lots of luck finding a house you can afford around NY/NJ. I'm visiting my parents in NJ this week and it's unbelievable how expensive and crowded it has gotten since I moved away five years ago.
A quarter million dollars is pretty much a starter home in these parts, and for that you need to save up fifty grand just for a min down payment. I would never have gotten into a home at my age if I stayed around here. Moral of the story - there are other regions that are rapidly devloping, with good jobs and far more affordable homes. Look around, broaden you horizons!
Amen to that, Sam. My ex girlfriend was selling her barely three bedroom home in a posh town in NJ and asking $900K. A house just down the block, designed and built by a well know architect just sold for $1.25 million and it is going to be torn down (that is the big trend in NJ- spend huge bucks for a house and then tear it down and put up one of those fake stucco jobs)! Condos up the street from me start at $600K.

The prices, the taxes, the people. Too much of all the aforementioned here in NJ. I may need to head west...

Mike

The prices, the taxes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.