Riverbrewer's 40B Crypt Tank 10/5/12 update
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-06-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
riverbrewer
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)

Riverbrewer's 40B Crypt Tank 10/5/12 update

A few weeks back I decided to make the trek to Petco during their $1/gallon sale and grab a 40 gallon breeder tank to set up. I have been out of the aquarium hobby for about 15 years and just recently decided to again take the plunge. I thought it would be fun experience to share w/ my 3 1/2 yr old son and am looking forward to documenting the process of getting this tank up and running, so here goes nothing......

The only definite that I have on this tank so far is that it will be heavily planted, dosed w/ EI, injected w/ CO2 (still looking for leads on a full CO2 setup including tank), and filtered w/ an Eheim 2217.

Fauna list so far includes:
Zebra Nerite Snails
Colony of RCS
Denison Barb
Siamese Algae Eater
Otocinclus
Small schooling fish (possibly White Cloud Minnow or Tetra)

I'm still in the process of researching for inspration on decisions surrounding lighting, flora, and substrate.

Any input (including photos) of your past/present setups that include Denison Barbs are welcome as I would love some input from other members on their Denison Barb experiences. I love the look of these fish and am excited to get this process underway!

So I started framing out the stand earlier today. Stand will be 30"H x 38"W x 20"D... more updates to come in the near future!

Last edited by riverbrewer; 10-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: change title
riverbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

Nice stand!

Btw, who did you get your rcs from?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
riverbrewer
Planted Member

Hopefully I can spend a bit more time today completing the stand framing and slapping on some of the shell. James7139, the shrimp are doing great by the way. Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
JamesHockey
Wannabe Guru

No problem

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
SunSun Pimp #44- HW-302,
Eheim Pimp #457-2232,2213

My Nanos'
My Tanks Greater Than 10 Gallon

currently looking for a co2 system,i have plants,shrimp and live food cultures to trade
JamesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Don't know anything about barbs of any kind, but wanted to say welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
mrchach
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

they get to be 6 inches and prefer groups... possibly not the best choice for a 40 breeder but it could work... though im sure they would like a longer tank
SunSun Pimp #39
mrchach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
riverbrewer
Planted Member

My plan is to purchase just 3 or 4 juveniles and start them out in this 40B setup with the understanding that they will outgrow it and I will make an upgrade to a 75 after the 40 has been setup for about a year. Always thinking ahead!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 AM   #8
riverbrewer
Planted Member

Had a chance to work a bit more on the stand. Here's a couple progression shots from last week up until tonight.

I built an old hood/light fixture (see pic #2) from a 5.5 gallon into the stand top for lighting up the interior of the stand for filter and CO2 maintenance as well as locating food and other tools.

I also built in a small pull-out shelf (see pic #3) that pulls out of the underside of the stand from the right door and can be used to sit food, tools, new plants, etc. on as I'm doing my weekly maintenance and water changes.

I'm also debating on whether to give the stand a nice dark jacobean stain or paint it black. Leaning towards staining it, but not thrilled about the work involved with doing multiple coats of staining + polyurethane.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 AM   #9
riverbrewer
Planted Member

Finally finished the stand!
Old 03-15-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
riverbrewer
Planted Member

Now that I've wrapped up the stand, I'm trying to decide on a driftwood layout. I mulled over a few different designs and still can't make up my mind. Finally decided to just add a couple pix to the thread and get some feedback from forum members. Which driftwood layout below do you think looks best?

Old 03-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #11
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

#2, but move them forward ~4" so that you can get plants both behind and in front of the DW.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
riverbrewer
Planted Member

macclellan, thanks for the input on the driftwood layout. My favorites are 2 and 5, but the spacing in #2 seems to make it the best choice.

I have a CO2 tank and regulator on the way, and am currently doing research about the tank lighting. I'd like to set this up as a medium/high light tank. I'm thinking about purchasing the 36 in. AquaticLife Dual Lamp T5 HO Freshwater Light Fixture (2 x 39W) but am unsure if this would put me into medium/high light category.

I also like the idea of maybe purchasing a light that it has daytime lights and 1 moonlight. Does anyone have a good recommendation on or know of a lighting system similar to the AquaticLife Dual Lamp mentioned above, but with a single moonlight (controlled separately) built into it as well?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #13
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

I like #2 the best as well

As for lighting, I would recommend the Odyssea fixtures, two 2xt5ho would provide ample spread at medium-high light sitting on the tank.. They have Blue LED moonlights that look good with their own power so you have the daylight lights, and nighttime moonlights. They should run ya about ~$40-50 a piece. They come with 6400k bulbs but I'd swap the bulbs for some zoomeds from bigals for 7.99 a piece or some giesemmans if you want real quality bulbs.

I know aquatraders has the fixtures, as well as topdogsellers on ebay, I bought my 4x24w t5ho for my 29gal from topdog about 8 months ago and couldn't be happier with it. ^^
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #14
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Beautiful work on the stand!

I'm personally not sold on any of those DW arrangements just yet- but I think it's got potential.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
riverbrewer
Planted Member

Quick update. I have purchased my Eheim 2217, CO2 regulator, and tank. Where do most have their CO2 tanks refilled?