Snowtorious B.I.G. (aka Snowpocalypse) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #16
dwc13
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

neumahrs -

Definitely the right decision by Northwestern to cancel classes. Our street has been somewhat plowed, but the alleys where many people have garages, they're still impassable, even for a 4WD Jeep. The snow is just too high and it only compacts so much.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #17
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

We got about 5in in Green Bay. Everything was just a little south of us... As always.
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #18
neumahrs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yeah some of the major streets haven't even been plowed yet in Chicago. The nice thing is though, my street which is a side street, is completely plowed here in Skokie..the other roads though....are just not driveable unless you have a tank/snowmobile/anything with treads.
neumahrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

I love the snow. No one I know has to work (granted, my mom already had this day off). I'm tough enough to deal with it. And now my apartment is literally staying warmer without as much gas because 7/8th of my apartment has either drifts half way up the walls or is inside the building. Free insulation!

This is what I told my friend that moved to Florida when he tried to rub it in my face: "I'm not a limp noodle like some people I know. Call me stupid, I call you weak!"

I would love to do farm chores in this weather (which I would be doing if I wasn't pregnant). I love seeing the ground all perfect and untouched, and then using my own strength to plow through it on foot. For some reason, my horses love snow too. I bet they are crashing through it right now, having all sorts of fun. Now that makes me grateful for my eyesight; nothing in this world is much more beautiful than horses running through snow.

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
dwc13
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipariumGuy View Post
We got about 5in in Green Bay. Everything was just a little south of us... As always.

LOL, people in Green Bay and other parts of Wisconsin are probably a bit more concerned about something else (other than the weather) this week.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
dwc13
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivate05 View Post
I love the snow. No one I know has to work (granted, my mom already had this day off). I'm tough enough to deal with it. And now my apartment is literally staying warmer without as much gas because 7/8th of my apartment has either drifts half way up the walls or is inside the building. Free insulation!

This is what I told my friend that moved to Florida when he tried to rub it in my face: "I'm not a limp noodle like some people I know. Call me stupid, I call you weak!"

I would love to do farm chores in this weather (which I would be doing if I wasn't pregnant). I love seeing the ground all perfect and untouched, and then using my own strength to plow through it on foot. For some reason, my horses love snow too. I bet they are crashing through it right now, having all sorts of fun. Now that makes me grateful for my eyesight; nothing in this world is much more beautiful than horses running through snow.

Plenty of snow here in our alley if you'd like to bring your shovel and help out!

I love snow, too, but the 5' drifts that are piled up against my wife's car aren't going to clear up by themselves. And she has to go to work tomorrow. The dog is also getting a bit ornery, as she hasn't been able to go to the park to run around and play with her buddies.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #22
dwc13
Planted Member

Just heard WGN's meterologist talk about the '67 storm and how the snow-water ratio was 10:1, making it a much heavier snow. I am thankful the snow was rather light this time around (15:1 snow-water ratio), but 2'+ of snow is still a PITA to clear regardless.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #23
zyn1
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

spent all day shoveling at my parents house.....just finished my driveway, in time for Bulls game....thank you snowblower inventor guy!
zyn1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
neumahrs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

At least some of us enjoy the snow...

Snow Angel
neumahrs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:55 AM   #25
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Ive lived in Arcata CA and Palm Coast FL. I will take snow over the rash of old geezers you folks have hangin around anyday. Work was fun today because of it. Out of 300 people only 20 made it in. It made for a relaxing workday and the company bought us all breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Snow on!!!
Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #26
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
What's snow?
Had to look that up.
Good luck to all affected... Spring is coming.
What's a mud slide?
In Michigan a mud slide is what happens when you slide in the mud. ;-)
How could something like that possibly affect roads or houses? ;-) :-)
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #27
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

i would love it when we get that kind of snow!!! best time was blizzard 03 driving pushing snow over my hood and having my wipers move it off to see, but i also drive a big o truck, seeing cars parked on the highway like those pics then u get a "train" of trucks driving on the shoulder makin our own path is worth the crappy gpm. would rather have the snow than a high of -1 yesterday starting a deisel is a pain at that temp plus wind chill!!! anyways hope everyones doing good and love to see more pics!!
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #28
Captivate05
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc13 View Post
Plenty of snow here in our alley if you'd like to bring your shovel and help out!

I love snow, too, but the 5' drifts that are piled up against my wife's car aren't going to clear up by themselves. And she has to go to work tomorrow. The dog is also getting a bit ornery, as she hasn't been able to go to the park to run around and play with her buddies.
Shovels are for pansies! LOL, j/k. Clearing off my fiance's car took a large shovel and a push broom. All that lovely snow that's insulating our apartment was also trying to insulate his Focus. Only the front bumper and headlights were clean.

Captivate05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 01:43 AM   #29
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Our version of the storm was particularly lame. Just a bunch of ice really, and I haven't found anyone thatis particularly fond of large amounts of ice.

On a somehat related note, I did get a kick out of watching someone take a blowtorch to their car to melt the ice near the doors so that the car could be opened. Quite humorous.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #30
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

We just got A LOT of freezing rain/ice that was so heavy it took down all the trees/power lines. A tree across the street got so top heavy it pulled all the roots up and tipped over. I've been without power for 36+hrs so far, which sucks with the temperatures.
UDGags is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.