Chad's community PAR meter - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #31
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
i'm not sure how much or how it works but you might want to make the shipping include insurance. i've received quite a few post office damaged boxes lately. just a thought.
I would have a stomp proof gun style box that fits in the square priority 6" box. I'd like to keep shipping to a minimum. I do want delivery confirmation so it will already be about $10 to ship one way. Thank you for your input tho. These are the suggestions that can make this thing work.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:58 AM   #32
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (247/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Hence the shipping BOTH WAYS. That way it will get returned to me each time for review. Im sure nobody wants the fame and fortune as being the guy who broke the meter. I also expect a descent iTrader rating so I know you have some knowledge of proper shipping procedures. I feel most everyone who is intelligent enough to use/need one will be smart enough to respect that its not theirs, but borrowed. As for wear and tear, eh, things dont last forever. Its bound to happen. Planted tank clubs do this all the time and I thought it would be nice for some folks to try it out if youre not near a club, group, or just plain dont have access to one. Plus the information in one collective thread about fixtures and bulbs and their readings as well as the plants being grown could prove priceless.
To be rather frank, I think you are giving people to much credit! Have you ever worked with the public! LOL! While its a great idea Chad, Im worried you will get burned.
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #33
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick120 View Post
To be rather frank, I think you are giving people to much credit! Have you ever worked with the public! LOL! While its a great idea Chad, Im worried you will get burned.
Im getting one. If we pass this around, and get a useful thread, where its also posted who has it, what SUPPORTING member of this forum, with a good iTrader rating, is going to want their reputation slandered over a silly par meter thats of no use to them after they get their readings? I would like to hope that the imformation gathered off of this is enough to make it worth it for as long as it lasts. If things go South after awhile, so be it, maybe it will be worth getting another one. $300 isnt a ton of cash for some good feedback. Hell, I can drink that up at Mardi Gras
Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #34
Dempsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)

Hey! Even if you go with Tom's idea, I would toss up $20! Then of course shipping both ways also. It's well worth it. Worth it for each of us on our own and all of us as a community!

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

75G High Tech
Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #35
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
Hey! Even if you go with Tom's idea, I would toss up $20! Then of course shipping both ways also. It's well worth it. Worth it for each of us on our own and all of us as a community!
Tom idea is a good one. I just want to make it clear that this is for imformation purposes and not for profit. There really isnt a good collective database of sorts on this type of thing. I personally would find a long thread about this interesting. Few people have access to one because they are cost prohibitive. This is a chance for everyone to share, share information, and allow novices to problem solve easier. The only feasable way I would collect extra funds from it would be to replace the meter once we got enough donations to pay for another. I dont know the longevity of one so I wouldnt even begin to be able to quote a price. Maybe someone else has some input on personal longevity.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:30 AM   #36
Armonious
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

I really like the idea, and would love to get my hands on the meter once I get around to getting a membership.

Personally, I see no harm in there being a $5 charge above the price of shipping. One, it allows the risk to be minimized, as well as generating a bit of income for you/ other group buys for the benefit of TPT community. I would gladly pay up $5 extra myself.

What I would really like to see if this comes to fruition is a collection of data about the various common light fixtures that we see in the hobby today. We would need to come up with a few standard measurements locations that should be taken for every light. However, I believe this type of information would easily become indispensible in making good purchases of lighting fixtures in the future.

Think about it. You want to figure out if you can grow plant X with light Y. This is an exceedingly common question on the lighting sub-section of the forums.

If we get this data together, it will be easy enough to know the answer for your question without a large search or posting a new topic. Simply look up how much PAR your proposed light fixture outputs at your predetermined height of the light above the substrate. Factor in a couple other variables such as substrate, CO2 and fertilizer dosing regimen (or lack thereof) and your question is answered.

In my eyes at least, this has the potential to be something much greater than simply sharing an item normally not available to your typical hobbyist, a chance to really get some significant research done for the benefit of the community that we can all use.

This is also where I like the idea of including a $5 usage charge atop the price of the shipping cost. If we wanted to, another meter could be bought, effectivly doubling the rate at which data could be gained. I agree that it also makes sense to only allow people who are supporting the website to allow the meter. Not to say that it is true in all cases, but you can generalize that those people who support the site are more serious about the hobby as a whole, and therefore more likely to respect this service as well as more likely to provide good data readings on their lights.
Armonious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM   #37
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Although the idea of collecting a fund to replace the meter would be the best option, im not sure what would even be a good starting point. If I charged $5 each time id have to ship it 70 times to replace it. It wont last that long IMO. Lets just give it a couple test runs and if results are satisfactory, great, if not, ill just keep it. Im not about exchanging of money other than shipping. I can however see where it will become a PITA to keep sending it out and at some point just having one member send it to another until its rendered useless. The information gathered is the gamble IMO, and hopefully it proves useful.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #38
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

It is a nice idea. Perhaps it puts a bit too much trust in complete strangers. I follow the thought process of bigstick120 on this.

Quote:
I don't think TPT can be a part of this but you guys can go ahead to do what you want.
TPT will not be part of it. Site will not assume any responsibility or liability. We will not be part of the loan/return process nor mediate if the loan/return process fails.

FAIR WARNING! While we might not choose to prevent you folks from using the forum to facilitate your trade off should your PAR meter come to fruition, we will not allow the forum to become a means to complain about the loan/return process or participants.

Proceed at your own risk and.....good luck! I really hope this works the way you folks want it to! Again, it is a nice idea.

The thread wil be renamed and edited to reflect our stance on the plan.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #39
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (259/100%)

IME, most folks that want to borrow/use a PAR meter will be honest about it.

A certain min feedback no#, or post, or personal vouching etc, I know Bob from Texas etc, he lives and comes to our club).

I think overall, folks are pretty honest and upfront here.

I would not expect TPT for support, but more as a communication board.
Part of the deal in buying/opting in, would be exchange of email/phone and mail addresses.

Not perfect and some fool could ruin it, but I think it would be worth a try.
I think forgetfulness and procrastination would be more an issue to ship and exchange to the next down the line.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #40
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

You could also do a 200$ deposit via paypal and then simply do a refund after the next guy gets it, some book keeping is all that is needed/required.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM   #41
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

They are welcome to use the forum.

They are encouraged to install as many fail safes as they see fit. Deposits are always a good idea. A srtict, clear line of protocol is also encouraged should this plan come to be.

The forum will not be in any postion to mediate any issues that may asrise from people who fail to follow protocol. I am sure it is understood by all, the forum cannot/will not be held responsible for the PAR meter and related transactions.

We want to be both fair and clear to everyone before they get started!
Old 02-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #42
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

Chad doesn't care about the money so he can do whatever he likes but Ideally a better solution is for one person to buy it and hands it off in the S&S at a some price (preferably cheaper) and then that person hands it off to another etc....

This saves transit time too, not always going back to one person, therefore the probability of lost or damage packages will go down as well.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #43
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Chad doesn't care about the money so he can do whatever he likes but Ideally a better solution is for one person to buy it and hands it off in the S&S at a some price (preferably cheaper) and then that person hands it off to another etc....

This saves transit time too, not always going back to one person, therefore the probability of lost or damage packages will go down as well.
So a staggered pay scale to the next downstream user??

So 1st guy buys for 340$, send to next guy, 320$, then he sends/sells it to the next guy for 300$, and so on? This way you spend the $$$ but get it back when you pass it on down.

That seems fairly easy, but if the person does not have the $$$, then it's tough, but most can swing that before the bill comes due.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #44
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I suggested exactly that earlier in the thread.

I am going to buy a PAR meter this weekend, for sure, now that I know the approximate cost. I plan to keep it for about a month or two, since I'm going to finally get my new canopy made and will be able to install new lights.

When I'm done with it, I'll sell it on this forum for less than I paid and hopefully it will get passed around.

Now for the hard part. Which one to get? any advice, hoppy??

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." — Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #45
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Cascading purchase may not work. Folks willing to spend $20 or so for a rental may not be comfortable tying up $300+ and worry about being the one stuck with it.

How about the first 17, pay in, Chad is covered. After, he can make a buck for his inconvenience until the thing breaks.

We all benefit by creating a database.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.