Chad's community PAR meter - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 02-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #16
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm in.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 AM   #17
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

SOme sort of contract would be needed as well. $300 is nothing to laugh at, Buyers Beware. I don't think TPT can be a part of this but you guys can go ahead to do what you want.

Think of the all the things that can go wrong first, even the incidentals like damage during shipping or someone didn't pack it right. Who's at fault?
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 01:38 AM   #18
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Im a pretty easy going guy. If USPS stomps on it, then its my loss. I will ensure it is properly packed in a hard case. TPT doesnt have to be involved at all other than referencing via support. It basically comes down to this. I want one. Once I spend the $$ and use it for my tanks, what good is it? It would be useful to other people. Im agreeing to send it to them to use in exchange for their information. I want their specs/parameters to share in one thread so others will be able to use it to grow better plants. It sounds like a win/win situation. Eventually someone will get lax and it will get broke. Hopefully the information on various fixtures, bulbs, and plants is good enough to make it worth the $$. The highs and lows of micromols for certain plants could also prove useful to the plant database. It would also be useful in problem solving. You would know its not lighting, so it must be ferts, co2, etc..
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

This is a great idea. PAR data, to be useful has to include the light manufacturer and model number, preferably, the bulbs data - manufacturer, color temp., age, etc., and the distance of the light from the sensor when the data was obtained. Plus, we need to be alert enough to know that measuring light in a clump of plants doesn't tell you a whole lot, except that some plant will grow in that light intensity. We also need to know if there was a glass top on the tank and, if so, how clean it was. Ideally we would need PAR numbers for at least 2 distances from the light to the sensor.

For plant related data, we would want the PAR at the top of the plant, at the bottom, and maybe at the distance where the leaves are no longer growing well. Characterizing how well a plant is doing with that light will be difficult.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Thanks for your input Hoppy. I hoped you'd chime in here. This is the kind of feedback that could make this a success. We need to compile a list of "have to knows". You obviously have more experience with lighting than most of us and your continued help would be much apreciated.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:03 AM   #21
NJAquaBarren
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Need a list of the data points and standards to develop a fixture, bulb database. For instance, folks will want to know THEIR readings, but it would be good to also record data at some common heights for instance, say 20, 24 inches, so fixtures can be compared against similar parameters.

Hoppy, maybe you can develop the matrix of data points and basic technique.
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
NJAquaBarren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #22
Dave-H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I couldn't find the GS200 but I found this one. To me, it seems that a $340 item isn't worth the trouble of dealing with contracts, rental agreements, etc. I had no idea they were so inexpensive - by the tone of the discussion about them I assumed they were thousands of dollars. I think I could just buy one, be careful with it, and get most of my money back by selling it to someone around here.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Dave-H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #23
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Im a pretty easy going guy. If USPS stomps on it, then its my loss. I will ensure it is properly packed in a hard case. TPT doesnt have to be involved at all other than referencing via support. It basically comes down to this. I want one. Once I spend the $$ and use it for my tanks, what good is it? It would be useful to other people. Im agreeing to send it to them to use in exchange for their information. I want their specs/parameters to share in one thread so others will be able to use it to grow better plants. It sounds like a win/win situation. Eventually someone will get lax and it will get broke. Hopefully the information on various fixtures, bulbs, and plants is good enough to make it worth the $$. The highs and lows of micromols for certain plants could also prove useful to the plant database. It would also be useful in problem solving. You would know its not lighting, so it must be ferts, co2, etc..
Oh! you mean there won't be exchange in money? Just shipping the meter around?

When a person is done with their measurement, do they ship it back to you or to another person?

I was thinking of buying one too. But don't know what to do with it afterwards except sell it on the S&S at a cheaper price.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #24
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-H View Post
I couldn't find the GS200 but I found this one. To me, it seems that a $340 item isn't worth the trouble of dealing with contracts, rental agreements, etc. I had no idea they were so inexpensive - by the tone of the discussion about them I assumed they were thousands of dollars. I think I could just buy one, be careful with it, and get most of my money back by selling it to someone around here.
Yes Dave, thats it. I typod the name the first time, sorry. Thank you for the correction. And yes, it was cheap enough to buy, so I figured the information might be more useful to me than making my $$ back on it. For you though, I dont see why your idea wouldnt work.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #25
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Oh! you mean there won't be exchange in money? Just shipping the meter around?

When a person is done with their measurement, do they ship it back to you or to another person?

I was thinking of buying one too. But don't know what to do with it afterwards except sell it on the S&S at a cheaper price.
Yes, there will be no exchange of $$ except for shipping. I'll ship it to you, you use it, post your data, and ship it back to me. I'll ship it out to the next one on the list.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 AM   #26
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
Yes, there will be no exchange of $$ except for shipping. I'll ship it to you, you use it, post your data, and ship it back to me. I'll ship it out to the next one on the list.
OH! Ok. that's a different story. I think Kyle wouldn't have any issues with that. Good luck with the project!

I might have to borrow your meter then.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:24 AM   #27
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (117/100%)

This is a great idea. Count me in! (after i get my silver membership back...)

Flowmsp has a good point-- shipping it in a wooden box (with pads) that can easily fit inside of a priority box would greatly reduce the chances of it being damaged during shipping.

Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 AM   #28
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

i'm not sure how much or how it works but you might want to make the shipping include insurance. i've received quite a few post office damaged boxes lately. just a thought.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #29
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Count me in please. Btw, great idea chad. Thanks.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:46 AM   #30
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (260/100%)

Folks put in their share of the 20$ each and get to use i for say 2 weeks, few would need it longer.

Shipping it in the USPS boxes with a good bubble wrap should take care of most any issues.

After the total 340$ is reached, the unit would be "rented" to those not making the buyer cut off, so the 20$ would go to the next in line on the intial buyer.

This way after 340$/20$ = after 17 nuses, the unit starts paying the cost back to each buyer who put in.

After 34 uses, the unit would be free for those who initially bought the unit.
And so on..........each new rental would pay for the next in line.

So simply sell 20$ worth of weeds, and then you have the $ to start.
Average time/wait is 1-2 weeks of use till the next, say 15-35 weeks till everyone is happy.

Another 15-35 weeks till every one is paid and scott free.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.