Landscaping program?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-28-2004, 01:17 AM   #1
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Landscaping program?

Has anyone tried using a landscaping program (like one for laying out the shrubs and trees in your yard) to design a layout for a planted tank? No sense in reinventing the wheel, if anyone knows what works...
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #2
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Well the closest thing is Dutch aquariums which are designed much the same way as an English garden.
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

Guess I didn't expess myself clearly, that's what I get for staying up past my bedtime. I was thinking of using something like http://www.broderbund.com/jump.jsp?i...iProductID=438 to get an idea of what a layout would look like in 3D.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:13 PM   #4
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Ya, know, that's an idea . I've got "Complete Landdesigner" (Sierra, no longer available) and if you're into graphics you can make masks and stuff and custom make plants for those that don't come with the program. Hmmmm....

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

I looked into this at one time. Didn't really have much luck. I think you would have to model stem plants, etc, since none of that is available.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 03:20 AM   #6
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool, I just found a free program called PlantStudio http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/PlantS...quirements.htm for making 3D models of plants. Looks promising... Seems to work on Windows XP as well. The .3DS files should import into at least some of the landscape design software packages out there. There are also links to some free plant models (some of which are actually aquatic). Rosehawke, which version of Complete Landdesigner do you have? There are still some copies of their software floating around for sale on the net, even though Sierra is long gone. I've been monkeying around with a trial version of Broderbund's 3D Home Architect, but haven't really spent enough time with it yet to see if it will work. They also make a landscape version, but I couldn't find a trial copy.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30 AM   #7
greenfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

Punch Software makes a landscape program among their many design tools. I'm not sure if they would work for the aquarium.
greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #8
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

program as in software? Cant help you there, sounds interesting though, but way too time consuming for me
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:29 AM   #9
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Zapus, it's version 5.5, Complete Landdesigner. It was "free" for me as I was a beta tester for the thing. Free was relative as the thing was so glitchy when I was testing it I kept having to write little reports. Even after the release it still had some glitches. I wasn't really surprised when I heard that Sierra was going belly up; every piece of software I had from the company always had something going on with it. The "Complete Home" for instance, really had/has some problems.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

If some one on here that was a computer programer or someting could make a program that would let you pick the size of tank, dimenions, and the lights and substrate and such, then let you place plants anywhere, you could try out new aquascapes without messing up your aquascape in your tank, although that is half the fun! lol
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:24 PM   #11
Ahkuma
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
Zapus, it's version 5.5, Complete Landdesigner. It was "free" for me as I was a beta tester for the thing. Free was relative as the thing was so glitchy when I was testing it I kept having to write little reports. Even after the release it still had some glitches. I wasn't really surprised when I heard that Sierra was going belly up; every piece of software I had from the company always had something going on with it. The "Complete Home" for instance, really had/has some problems.
I have always disliked Sierra. They were one of the first software companies to adopt the strategy of buying out as many smaller independent companies they could. Somehow they would take the great smaller companies that were producing great products and ruin them. That juggernaut is finally about dead and EA has pretty much taken their place.
Ahkuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #12
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Seems to me aquascaping is an art, and maybe a program automating it would ruin the creativity aspects of the whole endeavor.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:03 PM   #13
FISA
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (92/100%)

John ...those are exactly my thoughts....that would take the whole fun out of it...plus landscaping would be completely different in terms of aquascaping....you would have to pick just the right plant...

good constructive thought though...

29 Gallon PC 4WPG,Ehiem 2224 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Power Reactor, Eco Complete
75 Gallon PC 3.5WPG,Ehiem 2226 Pro, Pressurized CO2, Ext Reactor 1000, Eco Complete
FISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 PM   #14
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

Hey!!! I posted some pictures of my 40 gal once and then someone took PhotoStudio or something like that and rearrainged and added plants to make my tank look like it was a new aquascape. It was kind of neat. I guess.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Seems to me aquascaping is an art, and maybe a program automating it would ruin the creativity aspects of the whole endeavor.
The idea is simply to use the program as a tool to get an idea of what various plant combinations and arrangements might look like, to get a better idea for spacing, etc. Seems to me that this would stimulate creativity and allow "what-iffing" without waiting months for plants to grow in to see results. The PlantStudio program is relatively simple to use, but it may take some work to produce a plant that resembles a known species. It was intended to model dicots only, though I have seen some grass-like plant models generated with it. One really neat feature is an aging animation that allows you to virtually "grow" your plants. I tried importing a crypt-like plant into the Broderbund program, but it wound up resembling a piece of furniture more than a plant. Not sure exactly what went awry.