Think before you grab!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
fjord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Think before you grab!

Interesting article about 'Iconic' Franciscan Manzanita to be read here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/world...dge_03-14.html

If the link gets deleted, search the following: At the PBS Newshour site, search "In California, a Rescue Mission for 'Iconic' Franciscan Manzanita Plant"

I thinks it's interesting, and as a member from SE USA, I confess I don't know much about Manzanita, except that it's old, beautiful, rare, expensive, and sought out by many of "Us Folks". I just wonder how it's being collected and if any environmental damage is occurring as a result? Is it endangered? Plentiful? Just wondering, and comments are welcome.
fjord is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjord View Post
I thinks it's interesting, and as a member from SE USA, I confess I don't know much about Manzanita, except that it's old, beautiful, rare, expensive, and sought out by many of "Us Folks".

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa.

No.

There are only two sp. of manzanita that are endangered, both of which are located in SF exclusively.

This is what pretty much what 1/2 the property at my other house in the cascade foothills outside of redding looks like. I can literally go out, poke around for 5 minutes, and come back with an entire aquascape.

You know why it's so "rare" and "expensive"? Because shipping it is just ridiculous.

It's a weed, plain and simple.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
J-P
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

actually I saw the title and had a vision of me being ousted from a bar a long time ago...
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #4
fjord
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default Enlightened

Thanks for the enlightenment Dollface. I confess, I've not been able to spend much time on the west coast. Wish I could.
fjord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
GitMoe
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

Besides manzanita definitely think about what you take from nature to put in your aquarium. Be sure to research local laws and know exactly what you're grabbing. Wild foraging can be harmful to the environment and to your tank if you're not careful...
GitMoe is online now   Reply With Quote