San Gabriel Valley LFS's
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > California

Old 12-26-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
bscruz

PTrader: (0/0%)

San Gabriel Valley LFS's

I'm searching in the San Gabriel Valley (El Monte/Temple City/Arcadia/Pasadena region) - I live close to a shop that opened recently - Just Fish on Valley&Arden in El Monte. Anybody been there or have any information on it?

Pet & Jungle is a store that has been around since I was a kid - my science teacher used to buy reptile stuff there to show us....are they any good for aquariums too?

Pasadena Tropical Fish looks like one that has been around for a while, does anyone have any experience there?

I've been at this for a few months now and have a pretty healthy 20Gal aquarium...but I made mistakes along the way and relied on Petsmart as my guide - not a good idea. Via various itnernet sites/forums, I got my tank running well now. But I want to find a local shop that has more variety in HEALTHY livestock and more experienced staff.
bscruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 01:44 AM   #2
pphx459
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hey Bscruz,

Just Fish is a pretty cool store. I know the owner, his name is Joey. He has a planted display tank as soon as you walk in. They have a lot of healthy fish at reasonable prices while equipment pricing is a little high. Plant selection is minimal. They have 6 rows of fish, one row of tetras, one row of bottom feeders (alot of plecos), 2 rows for cichlids and 1 row for them larger fish (arowanas, flowerhorns, etc.) Once in awhile you will see some cool fishes such as the kerri blue tetras and a few apistos.

Pasadena Tropical Fish has a lot of cichlids and salt water fishes. Fish selection is general but if I remember correctly, they have many plants!

There is also another store that might interest you. It's called "Hacienda Aquatics" on Amar and Hacienda. They have fish that are well taken care of and you will for sure see fish that are nowhere else in the SGV. They also carry algae eating shrimp and fish. Speak to a guy name Chai, he knows what he's talking about and will special order fish for you. Plant selection is minimal as well but you will find alot of anubias here and sometimes riccia.

Hope this information helps and btw.. Welcome to the Forum!
Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
pphx459 is offline   Reply With Quote