DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 97
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #1441
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Amberoze, wha-chu growin' in that there blue pot... 'cause, it looks like a fun project.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #1442
amberoze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Default Re: DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........

That five gallon bucket contains the fruit of my loins.lol.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
amberoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #1443
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberoze View Post
That five gallon bucket contains the fruit of my loins.lol.
That's five gallons of very cute fruit.

ASAslider project 07

Next, we look at a problem, and solve it.

Our mini-rail-car slides all along the outer rail. But the outer rail can also slide along the outer casing, and if it does, the mini-rail-car could get derailed and lose its bearings (literally!!).

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 11-05-2013 at 11:32 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #1444
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So... after two years of development work on hardware and recipes, DK has over the winter been pulling all her tanks back into production mode. She's had them there before, so she can look at a tank and tell "when it's not right." The tank whispers to her...

And lately, one tank has not been "right." And she's been banging her head against the wall, testing, testing, pondering, etc.

She does a lot of benchmark testing on her system, to make sure it's running smoothly and putting out consistency. Good thing, because she's running nitrate injections and noticed her injection was not "putting out" the level of nitrates her calculations told her should be a-happenin'.

So, she backed up and tested her nitrate concentrate vat... nada. Now, red flags are a-flyin', 'cause she KNOWS what she put into that vat, and she tested the injector yesterday and it's injecting as specified, she knows this. What the heck is going on? She just replaced and tested a brand new nitrate test only a month or so, ago.

She climbs her squirrely brain into the internets, into cyberspace, and stalks around. And she learns about honey. Well, sort of.

She posts this to warn all y'all, what she learned, about honey. Well, sort of.

Most commercial nitrate tests involve a later step (step two or three, depending on the brand) that uses a super-concentrated solution of reagent. The reagent is supposed to be in saturated concentration in the solution, but in reality what happens is if a single crystal forms within the bottle, then rapidly a crystallization takes place of the active reagent, taking most of the reagent out of solution and into the crystal. This can happen relatively rapidly once any crystal structure happens within the bottle.

Naturally, the manufacturers, in their great wisdom, don't see fit to provide this solution in see-thru bottles, so one could see this phenomenon!

So, in a nitrate test kit, there is usually one bottle that the instructions say "shake before use" and what they really mean is "bang that sucker on the table enough to break up the larger crystal, then shake that dude about five minutes to put that crystal back into solution until the solution is saturated again or your results will be false and useless." And dangerously under reported, in the case of nitrate ppms.

A mere 30 seconds of kinda-paying-attention-shaking DOESN'T do it iffen y'all got a crystal in that non-see-thru bottle. (Hmmmmmmm... at this point, DK's mind thinks to her ultrasonic cleaner... hmmmmmm.... hmmmmmm.)

So, recently, when DK gotter new nitrate test (see above), she discovered nitrates in her tap, then they seemed to wane over the next weeks.

But yesterday, she found out that the nitrates have been there all along, and the crystal has been growing in her "Nitrate Solution Two" bottle.

So beware, folks. That Nitrate Solution Two is like a bottle of honey, inside. Once you start to get the crystals, you gotta stop and reverse the process, or the test is useless. Just like one little crystal in your honey jar turns your honey to a solid mass.

Time to deploy the floater farm. And switch out the nitrate/phosphate injection vat for high phosphate...

An interesting aside, here. DK meets a lotta peeps, from various places. In one place, she met a guy who farms honeybees, and produces honey. Of course, she hadda pick his brain, about this process. What she learned is that honey is a super concentrated sugar solution, and commerical honey has to have a specific range of moisture to be approved for sale. Too little moisture, and the shelf life is shot, as the honey rapidly crystallizes and is not appealing to buyers. Too high a moisture content, and you run the risk of mold in the honey, plus it's runny. She then had to collect extensive free samples from said peep, and concluded that honey is sweet and delicious. As a matter of fact, said peep surprised her with a few jars of "unacceptably wet" honey that was just over the moisture content allowable. "Take the lid off and let it dry out a few days in the winter when the air is dry," says HoneyFarmer, "and there's no problem with it." So, she did.

IN OTHER NEWS:

ASAslider project 08

We want to prevent, for this project, the outer rail from sliding along inside the mounting casing.

So, we see there is a plastic part on the end of the outer rail, and a hole on the end of the mounting casing.

We drill a hole in the plastic part, corresponding to the hole location in the casing when lined up.

Select a suitable pop rivet.

Pop away.

Voila.

No more sliding.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 11-05-2013 at 11:32 AM..
Old 02-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1445
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

thanks for that wonderful nitrate info ..... note to self shake bottles daily....
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #1446
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
thanks for that wonderful nitrate info ..... note to self shake bottles daily....
I WAS shaking them daily. But I wasn't banging them on the table, to do so.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Things that make DK smile. She didn't even see the second one until she previewed it, blown up. Taken yesterday.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-12-2014 at 12:54 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #1447
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

woohoo mermaids lol. i want to see more shrimps hehe maybe tiger types lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #1448
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

I need to clean some glass slime in most tanks to take pics. Here are some shots from packin' Mermaid mamas, today.

The CJDS project really helped the Mermaids. Now, I'm training them to come to the buffet, and eat.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #1449
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Isn't it amazing how many eggs they hold on to? I've noticed they're really good at holding onto them. With neos they get bulging like that, but by the time they hatch there's just a normal size clutch, but my cardinals stay bulging like that until they hatch, it's great! So easy to tell when they're berried, haha
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #1450
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
I need to clean some glass slime in most tanks to take pics. Here are some shots from packin' Mermaid mamas, today.

The CJDS project really helped the Mermaids. Now, I'm training them to come to the buffet, and eat.

Is that cement in their tanks? haha clearly not but I'm curious as to what it is.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #1451
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Isn't it amazing how many eggs they hold on to? I've noticed they're really good at holding onto them. With neos they get bulging like that, but by the time they hatch there's just a normal size clutch, but my cardinals stay bulging like that until they hatch, it's great! So easy to tell when they're berried, haha
I think it's like a petite pregnant woman - her baby weighs the same as a tall woman's but she looks so much larger at 9 months because she's small so the baby bump looks bigger. They are definitely more notable when berried for me, visually.

BTW Liam, I need a consult. What is a good bulk choice for sushi nori full size wrappers? There are so many sources and apparently quite a range of quality. I'm a thinkin' mebbe yer other half would have some scoop, here...

And, I went to replenish my Sriracha and my store quit carrying my sauce!!! So thank goodness for mail order groceries, nowadays. They had kikkoman sriracha on the shelf which makes me nervous; it's like when Sears bought out Lands' End, iffen y'know what I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananariot View Post
Is that cement in their tanks? haha clearly not but I'm curious as to what it is.
They do look like cement, I admit. They are fired clay feeding dishes I had made by a pottery person.

IN OTHER NEWS:

ASAslider project, conclusion

Next, we flip the unit over and bend up a couple of the tabs on the mounting casing, for hanging.

Hang them up, and attach our light fixtures to them.

Now, DK feels Omniscient - she can adjust the "solar" axis at will, and, more importantly, move those fixtures out of the way to get to stuff, or move them closer up front when she has a decent photo opportunity. She needs all the help she can get, with a camera...

Old 02-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #1452
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

I'll ask my better half, to be honest we usually bring back artisan nori whenever we go to Japan (whic. Happens to be 113 days from now!)

Oh, and I am happy to announce, my newest bottle of huy fong sriracha is back to being spicy! Seems it was just a wimpy batch for my last few bottles. I sent them an email to let them know, haha.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #1453
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Thanks for the consult-in-waiting, Liam. What I'm mostly concerned about is not filling myself with product that was grown in toxic effluent. I just bought a batch that
purports to be grown in a "biological preserve" purports to be grown in a "biological preserve"
in hopes that I'm not eating factory runoff taken up by seaweed!

"Made in Shinan-gun, Korea which has been designated by UNESCO as a biological preserve."

I know, at that price it's probably crap. Mostly, I need not to poison myself, but if I can eat better quality I would, too. Yeah, that's my priority list. First, poison-less. Yeah. Preferably, no poisons. None.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #1454
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/100%)

So what is it that you do to put them into "production" mode? What are you changing?
oblongshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #1455
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

AHh, ok DK, for KOREAN seaweed, we usually get this stuff made by choripdong in the bulk full sized sheets

EDIT: annnnnd, you'll be able to see them when TPT stop being broken.

Last edited by mordalphus; 02-27-2013 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Update pics

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.