DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 92
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #1366
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

or a corner guard for walls.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1367
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Plastic /PVC corner bead for drywall...Great for bending arcs or curved corners...Staple or nail in place and mud it in..
jone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #1368
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Looks like a corner for walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
or a corner guard for walls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jone View Post
Plastic /PVC corner bead for drywall...Great for bending arcs or curved corners...Staple or nail in place and mud it in..
Yep.

What DK likes most about it is its workability for projects. It is made from PVC so can be PVC cemented. It sports 90 degrees, which is often useful. It has holes, which is also often useful. It is easy to cut, bend, melt into a shape, etc. Just all around good stuff. And super cheap, too.

Now Dobie man, I need a consult:
Such a product was used on INSIDE corners of a gambrel ceiling in the DK domicile, but apparently only mudded into place. The piece has a material memory of 90 degrees but the gambrel angles are greater than 90. Over the years, this corner stuff has begun to pull loose, out of the drywall mudded joint, to try to return to its 90 degrees. So now DK has a gambrel ceiling with inside corner seams pulling loose all along the joint. WHAT DO I DO? Can I get up there and staple the heck out of it, re-mud, then paint again? I don't want to be fixing this every few years, always fighting that 90 degrees that was stretched to greater than 90 degrees.

Or, am I better off ripping out the seams - although NOT in January, mind you - on those inside gambrel corners and totally using a different product?

Inquiring minds need to know.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #1369
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

The concept for the PVC corner bead (as your picture shown)....is to be used on an outside corner..Who would of thought to try and use it on an inside corner..Not good to use it for inside corners and especially your situation being the worst to even try this PVC bead there....Also being made out of pVC material,,it is subject to exspansion/contraction with temperature changes..Making your problem just a little more complicated..There are many other products for inside corners ,not this corner bead though..The memory/or design of it is to be used only use on outside corner...The corner bead you show is actually less than 90 degrees ,,it is designed to be installed with a little bit of pressure/force a little bit onto the OUTSIDE unfinished drywall corner and be stapled or nail and then it will simply be under pressure to eliminate any rippling on the edges... Unfortunately you are going to have this reocurring problem..As the seasons change with temperature and humidity levels...."Vaulted" ceilings are very nice,,,never fails to crack right where the top of the wall meets the ceiling on the sloped sides of the room..The best thing to do when framing a ceiling like this is to consider deflection (live /dead load anticipated)pre engineered scissor trusses would have been made to have zero deflection or conventional framing to have an overbuilt calculated load bearing ridge beam framed in the roof... but we are far beyond that option now..Unfortunately the best advise would be to remove these wrongful placed corner beads and use a paper/fiber mesh tape made for drywall applications..If your walls/ceilings are real plaster or hardcoat,,then you would a different product for the inside corner.. A picture would speak a thousand words about this problem..

Last edited by jone; 01-25-2013 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: added info
jone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #1370
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by jone View Post
The concept for the PVC corner bead (as your picture shown)....is to be used on an outside corner..Who would of thought to try and use it on an inside corner..Not good to use it for inside corners and especially your situation being the worst to even try this PVC bead there....Also being made out of pVC material,,it is subject to exspansion/contraction with temperature changes..Making your problem just a little more complicated..There are many other products for inside corners ,not this corner bead though..The memory/or design of it is to be used only use on outside corner...The corner bead you show is actually less than 90 degrees ,,it is designed to be installed with a little bit of pressure/force a little bit onto the OUTSIDE unfinished drywall corner and be stapled or nail and then it will simply be under pressure to eliminate any rippling on the edges... Unfortunately you are going to have this reocurring problem..As the seasons change with temperature and humidity levels...."Vaulted" ceilings are very nice,,,never fails to crack right where the top of the wall meets the ceiling on the sloped sides of the room..The best thing to do when framing a ceiling like this is to consider deflection (live /dead load anticipated)pre engineered scissor trusses would have been made to have zero deflection or conventional framing to have an overbuilt calculated load bearing ridge beam framed in the roof... but we are far beyond that option now..Unfortunately the best advise would be to remove these wrongful placed corner beads and use a paper/fiber mesh tape made for drywall applications..If your walls/ceilings are real plaster or hardcoat,,then you would a different product for the inside corner.. A picture would speak a thousand words about this problem..
PM me an email addy and I'll send you some full rez pics. It's getting much worse, now that I look at the pics and it's time to make a plan.

Time to sick the Dobermans on it. Figuratively speaking, that is.

In between hoarding parts, DK loves to pick the brains of peeps who know things. 'Cause she hardly knows anything.

An aside here, while the rest of all y'all voyeurs take an intermission break. Did you know that Antique White paint is perfect camouflage for cobwebs? 'Cause DK did not know she had corners full of cobwebs until just now when she shot those pics, and she's TOO EMBARRASSED to post 'em showing COBWEBS. Sheesh!!!

Below is a very cropped, sanitized view of the basic problem. You can see it's not exactly that product, but appears to be some sort of product with an angle memory that is trying to revert back and pull off the wider angle.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-15-2013 at 12:49 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #1371
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Man, that looks like a bummer.

Sorry to see that!

How ya doing, dk?
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #1372
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

looks like the vinyl type that goes on the outer corners. its alot softer and easier to bend but dont think it would have even the same amount of suport the one in your tank has
Old 01-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #1373
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Man, that looks like a bummer.

Sorry to see that!

How ya doing, dk?
Well, hello, Liam!

I can't say the past year has been challenge free, but nonetheless I've tried to make lemons from lemonade a number of times, and drink it down! I know there are lots o' folks with even more challenges, so for me it's one day at a time and find something to enjoy and be grateful for, right?

I noticed today that Costco now has their OWN line of roasted seaweed! But I mostly gave that up months ago primarily because I was having guilty pangs over the amount of non-biodegradable packaging for mere grams of snack, and I was filling the landfills with the stuff to get my seaweed fix. (Well, OK, so mebbe a NORMAL person can eat one pack of that stuff in a day, but I had to have at least 3 packs a day, and that's a LOT of plastic trash over a week.) Doing much better on that addiction than on the diet coke one. I've stopped buying diet cokes, but smartie Jr. Geek has learned that there's an entrepreneurial opportunity to buy cases of diet coke at Costco on his dime and then he extorts me with them, one at a time, in my moments of weakness, which happen nearly daily. I have taken to calling him my Coke dealer. He should do well in life, based on this!

D.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:49 AM   #1374
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

lol you are too funny. im a pepsi person and i found out long ago it was not the caffeen in it cause i could drink the caffeen free kind and still get my fix. to me diet pop just does not tast the same though. so i try to limit myself. i will have to go back to cans again soon since i noticed i can go though a 2 liter in 2 days.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #1375
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
lol you are too funny. im a pepsi person and i found out long ago it was not the caffeen in it cause i could drink the caffeen free kind and still get my fix. to me diet pop just does not tast the same though. so i try to limit myself. i will have to go back to cans again soon since i noticed i can go though a 2 liter in 2 days.
Yeah, well, I simply cannot seem to do much in moderation. Shrinks call this disorders of compulsion. Or mebbe an impulse control disorder. This is the whole reason behind the bubba mug. It was to quit a several liter a day diet Dr. Pepper problem I had developed. Thing is, the phosphoric acid in sodas is not good for women with tiny bones like me and I was afraid I was a gonna dissolve my bones into a walking pile of fractures at that rate. So I came up with the whole latte idea - hey, it's caffeine PLUS milk with calcium, right?

I'm down to one diet coke a day, when I can get one from my dealer. But I'm jonesing all the time, truth be told...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #1376
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Take a Chance on Me. Make sure to get past :20

What's your favorite part? Mine's the formerly lonely geezer lip syncing, the kitty who licks on cue, and the 3-legged pug who also licks on cue. And the acapella and expression at the end.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 01-29-2013 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #1377
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Glad to hear you're getting over that nasty coke habit, haha.

I've been spending my Friday nights on a pier with a fishing pole and a very bright light. That's my recent addiction, and the only hope there is for me is when squid season is over...

I'm trying to stay away from the lfs here, been wanting to convert a 50 gallon planted aquarium into a mermaid lagoon, and I'm afraid I won't be able to do it for less than 100 dollars. *sniff *
But my 20 gallon lagoon is jam packed with mermaids and they require a larger receptacle.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #1378
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

dk need an update a week is way to long to be away lol. some good things must be going on with the shrimpkies
Old 02-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #1379
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

DK Hope all is well, and that you're doing well.

Having said that, I have an addiction to a thread that needs some attention here!
I love reading your ramblings, and the very, very good information that comes from it.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 PM   #1380
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
dk need an update a week is way to long to be away lol. some good things must be going on with the shrimpkies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
DK Hope all is well, and that you're doing well.

Having said that, I have an addiction to a thread that needs some attention here!
I love reading your ramblings, and the very, very good information that comes from it.
DK's like a toddler; when she goes quiet, she's either out cold, or UP to something...

++++++

We are interrupting the quiet for a two day full detox; primarily it was the "everything" pizza, nacho cheese doritos, and oreos. The latter two for which DK has no food brakes, and we had jumbo packages of for a superbowl food-fest.

But BEFORE she nearly ate herself into a junk-food coma, she was busy, doin' thangs.

She's contemplating how the HECK to post a politically correct series on polygamy, at the moment.

Oh, and that reminds her, she needs to look up the solubility of baking soda.

Hmmmm. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, she has been doing some reorganizing in the Shrimporium and re-setting some tanks, for the - ahem - polygamy projects.

February in particular is a very dangerous time of year for her, in the dead of grey winter, because the squirrely brain ignites and burns, and she gets all manner of hairbrained ideas which she must act upon. She's been trying to subdue this effect by doing a lot of metrics studies, now that she has finished her water factory work and the tanks are all pulling back into production modes. So she can busy herself with berry counts, baby counts, and metrics tracking relative sizes of young in a given tank.

She has also distracted herself going through her piles of extra stuff, weeding out things that cannot be salvaged for parts 'n' pieces, in particular the pile of via aqua heaters that she had hoped she could salvage the temperature probes and controllers from if the heaters themselves were dead, but most were no dice, unfortunately.

The remaining stuff, she has started to creatively use 3-dimensional space, real estate in the sky:

Oh, and she also had this extra gigantic (16 inch) clock that she decided to hang in the Shrimporium; she has this way of going down that rabbit hole and getting lost for hours, and just loses track of time. She enters a twilight zone on the right side of the brain down there, where the space-time continuum dissolves away and there is nothing left but squirrely thots.

Oh, yeah, and the floater farm is flying.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-15-2013 at 12:49 AM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.