DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 91
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-24-2013, 12:12 AM   #1351
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
thats one good/ bad thing about living on military posts. they are all wild life refuges. we have fox, deer, all kinds of birds (huge turkey) and even coyotes. was not thrilled when a coyote ran down the fence line a bit behind the house but nothin i could do. and the silly deer will walk down the road. even had one stand in the drive way and not move for 5 min so we could pull in one night lol. at Ft Sill in oklahoma they have such awsome huge elk that is a heck of a sight on a frosty morning with them walking though the feilds there.
And moose, you have moose, one, anyway!

Y'know, when I think OK, I would not think elk. I might think antelope, but not elk.

Today, we feature some more blacks. First, one that shows the Blue Tiger and Vintage influences - the rusty matte overlay from the Blue Tiger influence; and the buff-tipped tail fins, the micro-stippling along the lateral line, and one buff dash along the rear edge of a body plate mid-line from the vintage line influence. The vintage line was developed from PLAIN tigers, with stripe pigment extended. That line was then blended with blue tiger and the extended stripes but gold eyes were again selected for, resulting in the modern monochrome (BTOE) line.

Second, a plain-jane monochrome with gold eyes. But hey, she's packin', so that's interesting.

Reason I have MORE black pictures is that Ms. Pangea (someday in history to be called the Eve of Overos) came front and center, showing me her new load, and by the time I ran to get the camera... yeah, she climbed deep into the weeds, but then Ms. Monochrome ambled right along the glass, slow-like for dufus photog like me to capture.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-14-2013 at 11:49 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #1352
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And C - this one's for you. Some Blue Tiger ladies today. Just coming up to adulthood, soon to pop.

Naturally, DK got the rocks in focus, and not a-one of the ladies. Sigh.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:50 AM   #1353
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

hehe your so mean i want more so bad. cant wait till spring lol.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 AM   #1354
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

[IMG][/IMG]

Hopefully that works, college student who barely knows how to connect a printer...
[IMG][/IMG]
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #1355
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

ugh them came out side ways =(. I thought I fixed that in photo bucket....
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #1356
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

I think I fixed it[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG] it:

and I cross my fingers I did it correctly this time...
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #1357
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

hehe that is a hairy shepherd funny looking but so cute too
Old 01-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #1358
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

Thought you might enjoy DK. Yup, pure bred german long coat.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:59 AM   #1359
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

lol that bottom pic makes me thing of alf lol
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #1360
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

She is thinking, you goon let me in it's cold!
Old 01-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #1361
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

hey dk here a pic i found of a bull elk on ft sill.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #1362
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrturritos View Post
Thought you might enjoy DK. Yup, pure bred german long coat.
What an endearing face! She looks young, like maybe 7 months?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #1363
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

something like a year and 4 months
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 AM   #1364
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default DK Takes on Big Ag - well, sort of

So, yesterday, DK set up a hydroponic floaters farm, in the Shrimporium. She generally doesn't like floaters in her tanks, as they shield the light from her moss, and get in the way when she's netting, etc. They also pose problems for her overflows in each tank, as potential cloggers. But, she wanted an instant supply of them on hand, in those times when she needs to deploy them strategically.

She believes in the power and efficiency of biology, and whenever possible tries to engineer a biological solution to any problem in a biological system. The beauty of a biological solution is that it is self-regulating and self-reporting. By this I mean that when my nitrates increase in my well water, so ALSO will the growth of the floaters and their metabolic rate, effectively matching the challenge. When the nitrates are depleted, the floaters wane and may yellow, reporting to me on quick inspection that I may need to start nitrate injections. We let biology do the work for us, whenever possible. Biology is the ultimate automation.

She had an extra tank hanging around that was not ideal for shrimp, so she pulled the substrate, made it a clear-bottom tank, and dedicated it to farming floaters.

The tank is automated, so will receive her carbonated well water at greater than normal flush fraction, twice daily, this should give the floaters a nice diet of CO2. She elevated the tank up on stilts just under the lights, so the floaters should receive decent light. The stilts are parts 'n' pieces also on their third iteration of use. And the flush water has micros, potassium, and phosphate dosed. Her well water often runs a few ppm nitrates, and if it starts to be too low, she can inject nitrates into the water source, or throw a root tab in the farm tank.

Now, she feels a bit more secure, come next corn growing season. It isn't every year, but some years the fertilizers move through the soil as a thin layer and hit her well all at once, resulting in tap that's in the red zone for shrimp.

Fortunately, even if it's toxic levels of nitrates for shrimp, when it enters the automated tanks it is only a fraction of tank volume each cycle, effectively diluting the nitrates quite a bit. If I have any sort of metabolically active nitrate-sucker in the tank, the tanks can suck up the nitrates as they arrive, and the shrimp are none the wiser.

Many thanks to some of you out there who came running when DK put out a call for help, with floaters. In the DEAD of winter. In an arctic front. These guys put out priority boxes for me within 24 hours of my asking for help. Lesson is, build bridges, don't burn them, in case of fire, someday, right? You know who you are...

She used the gizmo below as part of her plan. This is its third use as a piece or part, recycled. Anyone know what it ACTUALLY is? I'll bet the dobie man knows.

No fair telling, Shrimptern 0.0. - we also used some chunks of this in the Watersnake install.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #1365
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Looks like a corner for walls.