DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 89
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #1321
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Great stuff Donna. Love the Royal blue, or what you call Poison blue?
That wasn't my term; it came from a former purveyor of shrimp who is no longer around. DK chuckles here at the supreme irony. Said purveyor basically poisoned them-self away, 'nuff said.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1322
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, so DK has just FINALIZED the DK Watersnake install schedule with Shrimptern 0.0 - this weekend, heh heh heh... oh, crap, I hafta get to Lowes!!

And also FINALLY, the very last post I'm a gonna dooooo on DK's Cashew Jar Department Store project, a.k.a. degassing chamber.

Here, we have the nicely cultured orange matrix material that is in one of the degassing chambers, soaking up allat light and heat from the spirals, below, making a lovely green velvet salad bar for the Mermaids.

And here, in the second picture, we have our first very shy patrons of the salad bar. They were actually more of them and closer, but as soon as they see DK's big scary head and that black camera, they scoot away. They all do this funny thing, scanning for predators, and back up to the net, searching the sky, then finally climb onto the net. So, alas, this is the best picture she a'got. DK's sure them Mermaids will be all over that salad bar in the dark of night...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-27-2013 at 11:14 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #1323
Forumsnow
Tiger King

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
Sooooooooooooo.

Is there to be a new thread, about how this room (which, I might add, has a SLEEK floor, unlike the soft, furry floor of German Shepherd hair clouds in DK's Shrimporium) came to be "centralized?":

(remember, DK hoards things, even like pictures...)

And while SOMEBODY is puttin' together a thread about a centralized system (sorta like IDEA COCAINE for DIY junkies like DK), let's go back to our adopted non-shrimp, non-German, not-even-a-dog, not the TPT forum member, not the vintage cartoon mouse, Speedie:

DK, who has an inquiring mind, really wants to know the story of finding a NICKEL-SIZED little itty bitty cutie turtle, and how in the heck you figured out how to feed the nickel. That must have been so cute, seeing a nickel eat, whatever a nickel eats. Pray, do tell.

And finally, NOT to be out-done by a NON-GERMAN mastiff, DK's goddog Rottie sent this picture:

Sorry just seen this. It was just after Hurricane Sandy I want to say. I was in a front end loader at work loading a truck with gravel. Not to brag but I have amazing vision(only good thing I was born with haha) and I spotted movement out of the corner of my eye. So I jumped down and saw it was a teeny tiny turtle. I kept her in a cardboard box for the rest of the day. When she was small I would just find worms and cut them into bite size pieces. We still feed her night crawlers cut up, turtle pellets, and her favorite freeze dried shrimp. We also feed her scrambled eggs, all kinds of lunch meat, tuna, basically anything I eat she will.

Love her to death, like a really small dog. I think we got her young enough that all the wild is gone from her. Hope this information puts your mind at ease. Any more questions feel free to ask. Ill have to go on my computer this weekend and find some of the pictures from when we first got her.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:02 AM   #1324
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forumsnow View Post
Sorry just seen this. It was just after Hurricane Sandy I want to say. I was in a front end loader at work loading a truck with gravel. Not to brag but I have amazing vision(only good thing I was born with haha) and I spotted movement out of the corner of my eye. So I jumped down and saw it was a teeny tiny turtle. I kept her in a cardboard box for the rest of the day. When she was small I would just find worms and cut them into bite size pieces. We still feed her night crawlers cut up, turtle pellets, and her favorite freeze dried shrimp. We also feed her scrambled eggs, all kinds of lunch meat, tuna, basically anything I eat she will.

Love her to death, like a really small dog. I think we got her young enough that all the wild is gone from her. Hope this information puts your mind at ease. Any more questions feel free to ask. Ill have to go on my computer this weekend and find some of the pictures from when we first got her.
See, I just KNEW it would be a great tale. Earth rumbling, stones falling, and out of the corner of the eye... a teeny tiny movement, a life.

Can't wait to see the nickel. Bite sized pieces of worm, for a nickel, are pretty small, I should think.

IN OTHER NEWS:

She COULDN'T STAND IT.

DK had to sneak down to the Shrimporium with a flashlight and see if the svelt Mermaids were gorging on the salad bar.

Yep. Tons of shiny eyes, throughout the netting.

And I bet tomorrow morning, it will be shrimpless come lights on, and they will be acting like no-way-no-how are they going over to THAT thing.

Hypocrites.

Oh, and DK mighta lied (she's SUCH A LIAR!!!) about that being the last post on the CJDS project. OK, so she MEANT it to be, but after some beta testing, she's decided to do some tweaking for some pertinent reasons. Time to shop for some large marbles...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 01-16-2013 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #1325
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK has a squirrely brain. It tends to run wild. It can roar to a start, even before waking. Today, she awoke to the thought:

Mebbe it isn't LYING.
Mebbe it's REVISITING REALITY from another view.
Yeah, that's it.

And then, she went digging, through her front closet. Not the bins & barrels of parts 'n' pieces, mind you, but the front closet. And got herself this, to finalize the CJDS project, and THEN do the LAST post on that project.

See, she REVISITED REALITY, that's all. She din't really lie, at least this time.

What is it? Why, it's a floor buffing pad. Doesn't everyone have a box of these in their front closet? I think she's used them about six times, and only one was actually used for its intended purpose. (Notice how just about every non-tank picture she takes has German Shepherd body parts in it...)

IN OTHER NEWS:

Last night, she was (once again, in a FUTILE effort) trying to take pics, because for once she's cleaned her glass, and there was this gorgeous Overo sitting really still for her. DK HATES taking pictures of shrimp, because it frustrates her. The squirrely brain knows just what it wants, and cannot ever achieve it. There has to be this perfect storm of picture-taking-willingness, clean glass, charged batteries, known location of the camera, and an actual subject somewhere near the glass, for her to take pictures. Oh yeah, and the camera on macro or super macro mode, the right one. Last night, she had all these lined up, and was snapping this picture of this gal, when RIGHT AFTER the picture, some male hit on her!!

Why, of course, she was sitting still because she just molted, and is about to start the OVERO EBONY line!!!

Just look at that half-hemispheric map of partially drifting Pangea illustrated on her side. I swear there's a continent that looks like sideways Africa, and then upside-down Australia, but maybe it's a fantasy world, DK's not sure. At any rate, she stared at this picture, and those unique EVE-ian (as in, Adam and Eve, the origins of a race) markings all night, on her screen.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #1326
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

nice a new line just waiting for you thats awsome. they are so pretty dk cant wait to try them one day lol. any who nice pic of the shrimp she is pretty and soon to be preggers. good luck with the new adventure
wicca27 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1327
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK is easily amused. As a matter of fact, she pretty much amuses herself all day long off various flying thoughts.

One amusement is to look in a tank and tell herself stories, based on what she sees, the phenotypes of the shrimp. Here is a glorious example in pictorial form. Here, you see three sets of eye genes (that would be three genotypes) that DISPLAY as three different looking eyes (that would be phenotypes).

On the left, the dark eye.
In the middle, the famed golden eye.
On the right, DK's personal favorite, the comic book eye, which can come in various colors but is characterized by a comical pupil.

But, it doesn't end there.

Three phenotypes in pigment styles.

On the left, the reddish matte overlay derived from Blue Tiger shrimp.
In the middle, poison blue, characterized by a thinner layer of pigment that shows blackish down to blue, depending on the density.
On the right, dense black pigment derived from extending the stripes of wild tiger shrimp.

Oh, and one more.

Three phenotypes in leg pigment.

On the left, DK's personal favorite, the spider banded leg.
In the middle, the mono-pigment coverage.
On the right, pigment free legs.

When DK looks around in her Black Tiger tank, she sees all these things, this incredible array of genetic diversity, and all the still frames of the story of how BTOE were derived. Sort of like the evolution of man pictures, she has this swimming around live, in her tank.

She LOVES to see this diversity.

And she LOVES to see what all those genes will make, when re-mixed, every generation.

Can't wait until I can re-shoot a pic like this also including a classic T-Rex. Have a few coming up, now.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #1328
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

your getting good at taking pics hehe now there is not excuse for not taking them lol. as always love the shrimp and keep up the good work
Old 01-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #1329
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

When this gene pool re-mixes and spits out something retro, DK just loves it. Here is a retro style, showing a lot of vintage line influence.

First, we have the copper tinted rostrum.
Comic book eyes, although DK likes 'em a tad lighter than this so you can really see that goofy pupil.
The spider banded legs. With cream stippling!!!
The cream tipped tail.
And the glorious lateral line and plate stippling, and this one EVEN has a plate edge in cream, too.

This is one of DK's favorite type shrimp (thus her graphic at the bottom of her messages).

From the black tiger line.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #1330
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i love that one too. now if only i was a millionaire lol
Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #1331
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

UP NEXT:

DK Watersnake

THREE TIMES last night, DK went down to the Shrimporium to get the box of Watersnake parts and begin to ponder her approach. THREE TIMES, she got completely diverted, trying to take pictures (IN VAIN) of coo-el stuff in the black tiger tank. She is soooooo distractable.

Finally, early this morning, she went down and gathered her box.

Shrimptern 0.0 will be here this weekend to help with Phase I of the DK Watersnake install, so she has to get her act together.

She ponders the following, while assembling a short list of stuff needed from Lowes, which so far includes stainless screws and washers, possibly a couple switches.

What else... what else.

Hey, doesn't everybody have a mongo bag of leftover screw anchors from some previous project?...

Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #1332
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 3 days

The time it took me to read through this entire thread was about 3 hours, the time I have spent since then, reviewing, and rethinking what you've shown, done and said.

I must admit, I've got a tiny Crush on your workings here.

Everything looks amazing, in both apparent complexity and then inherent simplicity. And Vice versa for the math portions.

Wish I could see more of the Shrimporium in work.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #1333
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
The time it took me to read through this entire thread was about 3 hours, the time I have spent since then, reviewing, and rethinking what you've shown, done and said.

I must admit, I've got a tiny Crush on your workings here.

Everything looks amazing, in both apparent complexity and then inherent simplicity. And Vice versa for the math portions.

Wish I could see more of the Shrimporium in work.
Well. Well. Well.

Wel...come, to the madness. Plenty of that, here.

I hope all those hours were worth your lifespan.

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK made the trek to Lowes today. One of her Lowes "guys" was in. You should have seen his face light up when he came to respond to his "help needed on the wire cutting aisle" page, and he saw me standing there. DK mostly knows Lowes, but she wanted to ask about switch options.

So, about twenty bucks and a diet Pepsi - overpriced out of their impulse aisle coolers - later, she had the loot.

Came home, snapped a pic, and dug out a few other things.

First two pictures, courtesy her friends e.bay and amazon.

Third picture, her shopping at Lowes.

And finally, the funkiest thing she did, today, last picture.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:41 AM   #1334
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And Shrimptern 2.0, this one's for you:

DK went to dis-assemble something today, to modify it for her needs, and it had funky screws. Wouldn't ya know, DK had the right tool, to get into it...

heh...heh...heh...

To you other folks: when Shrimptern 2.0 came, DK put in an order for a special tool with Shrimptern 2.0 - who happens to have a lotta tools - because DK wanted to get into her microwave the week Shrimptern 2.0 was here and the microwave had different, funky screws.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 AM   #1335
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (58/100%)

water detector?
Let me see how you will modify sound to shut down the switch. I have some ideas including baby toys.
plamski is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.