DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 86
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #1276
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
kentucky isnt to far either lol im mid state and at the top
You know C, I have actually googled your distance, as I've thought you need to be a Shrimptern, how much you follow this thread! You are within a day's drive...

DK was excited this weekend as she got a note from Shrimptern 0.0. Yes, folks, the original Shrimptern from YEARS ago!! We hope to have a repeat visit from them soon, to pick up some shreemps.

Plus, you need to see that 75 gallon tank that is now WALL-TO-WALL with bolbitis, there is no room for the poor plecos to swim, it is like a bamboo swamp in density! Need to sell some off. Pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jone View Post
DK,,,sssshhhhhhh,,please do not say cat,dog,squirrel and most of all "bunny"..Wattson is always nebbing out the windows,,relentlessly..Day after day..I have already accepted defeat in trying to keep up with cleaning wet nose prints off his favorite window...
I soooooo get this! We live next door to wooded wilderness FULL of rabbits, deer, and unfortunately skunk!! One of my Germans fancies himself a feral wolf, and each night he TEARS out the door and over to the woods and tries to hunt something. Problem is he was taking my domesticated rescue Mr. Flop Ear with him on adventure, and when the TWO of them go on adventure, they often go much farther and then I have to go after them for hours. So we now have a protocol for last thing at night that only ONE DOG AT A TIME gets to go out, in shifts, it's that bad!

Those boys make me want another Dobie so badly... now, remember you promised me pics of the girls, too! DK doesn't forget, when it comes to dogs. Every where else her memory is like a sieve, but if someone promises her pics of DOGS, she remembers!

IN OTHER NEWS:

Yesterday, in between piano stringing help, DK quit procrastinating and FINALLY used the Aquavac in its second intended purpose.

She did a tank de-mulming of the 65 gallon Broke Student Crystal tank, and sucked off about a gallon of mulm from the substrate. The bucket, which horrified her as she had her hands in that bacteria-paste, looked alarmingly like her morning Bubba Mug of joe, and she is letting it settle to snap a pic of the sheer bulk of mulm she harvested, will probably need to settle a day or two.

The great news is that the Aquavac did exactly what she imagined it should. She was able to accomplish this task IN A TANK FULL OF SHRIMP and the shrimp are fine. No shrimp were sucked up during this process, or harmed. That is whole reason she designed the aquavac, for this purpose primarily.

One thing she has decided is to get more robust tubing on the input and output, as the long ones she's now using tend to collapse and kink, interfering with pump function. She does need to address this.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-27-2013 at 11:14 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:38 PM   #1277
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

AND... because DK is a Geek, she MUST post this.

Here is the restrung string. We had one pop when we tuned, as these strings are 120 years old.

So, we decided to try our hand at restringing.

The interesting thing is that the string starts up above, goes down the sound board, loops around a peg down there, then returns up top to a different peg. So one string can do two different notes, or two strings of the same note. In the treble range in pianos, each treble note is strung by three strings, so when the piano hammer hits the strings to sound a note, it's hitting three strings tuned to the same frequency.

This particular string goes down as one note, and comes up as the NEXT note.

So interesting.

See how shiny the new string is, compared to the 120 year old original strings... and see how there are two pegs with shiny string, one is going down, the other is that same string coming back up.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #1278
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

I love all the dog stuff interspersed with the tank stuff and the DIY stuff. My giant beast is VERY interested in the deer when I take him up the mountains. Luckily, he’s such a momma’s boy I don’t think there’s any worry of him actually running off, LOL!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #1279
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i really wish i could be a shrimptern but not sure hubby would like it. moose would have such fun if he came too for a visit hehe. maybe one of these days i will be able to come and meet you. even if its just a short visit. distance really isnt to much of a problem we take trips to ny to see hubbys mom and back to oklahoma to see my family a couple times a year. thing is we only have 1 car and he needs it for work. he is in the army and we are at fort knox now lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #1280
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
I love all the dog stuff interspersed with the tank stuff and the DIY stuff. My giant beast is VERY interested in the deer when I take him up the mountains. Luckily, he’s such a momma’s boy I don’t think there’s any worry of him actually running off, LOL!
The giant beast is a Mastiff, right? A GERMAN Mastiff? We need another pic. Oh, wait, English have Mastiffs, too, don't they. Well, we'll take him enneywheh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i really wish i could be a shrimptern but not sure hubby would like it. moose would have such fun if he came too for a visit hehe. maybe one of these days i will be able to come and meet you. even if its just a short visit. distance really isnt to much of a problem we take trips to ny to see hubbys mom and back to oklahoma to see my family a couple times a year. thing is we only have 1 car and he needs it for work. he is in the army and we are at fort knox now lol
Hmmmmm. DK drums fingers on chin.... Hmmmmmmm....

Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1281
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

He's actually half Italian and half English (Neapolitan and Bull), but he looks very much like a small OEM. Enough so that many people don't believe me, including a local show judge, LOL!

Next to Joe (who's 6'1") for a bit of size comparison

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #1282
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh... brindle. Brindle is as bad for DK as sleek. Along with chocolate, oreos, bugles, Lorna Doone, rice crispy treats, and any number of other things with which she has no compulsion control.

Yes, where do you keep the saddle, and carriage for him? Wow, gorgeous big hunka dog. He would make a very stylish coffee table. Big, blocky, even fur covered, coffee table/ottomans are the rage now, you know. Just tell him to lie down in front of the Sofa, and voila. Or if he were on his side, lying down, he'd make a very stylish sectional.

I see you have a little sleeky along with bug hunka. Italian Greyhound? Whippet?

And, um. I did NOT think it was possible. But I think this head might be larger than my goddog rottie's. Yes, I harvested your picture:! I had to show this head, plus there's a cute little sleeky in it, too!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1283
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

Whoops, stuff I couldn't see on the phone! ***That's Roadie, an Italian Greyhound who belongs to Joe and his wife. She was NOT impressed with Clancy (we were in Vegas on a trip and they came by to say hello).*** = the pic I posted. The little bugger in the pic DK put up is my BIL's dog Bukowski (whippet/pit). He's about 12 weeks old in that pic.

I'm not sure about a coffee table, but he does make a quite impressive and comfy body pillow, LOL! He's totally down with being an ottoman though.

Last edited by Betta Maniac; 01-08-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: missed pic
Betta Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #1284
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Ahem.

(clears throat)

"OK, OK!! I admit I stole it! There were dog pictures, lots of them. DK had to see them! Lookit this one she found..."

Old 01-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #1285
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

That's Clancy's littermate, Slag, who belongs to my sister. They had destroyed a feather pillow & strewn feathers aaaaaaallllllllll over the house.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 AM   #1286
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

In fact, that photo won a Destructo Dog photo contest, LOL! Not sure that's really one anyone wants to win though...
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1287
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default And now... Back to actual shrimporium news>>>

So yesterday, in between looking at all those lovely dog pictures of Betta Maniac's, DK was on the run.

The leak frogs went off THREE times.

The first time, after the morning cycle, DK was muttering to herself about the immaculate conception, about how the HECK could water be on the floor when nothing above it was wet, and there was no discernable leak??

She mopped up, ran the towels through the wash and dry, and then gathered her flu-ridden assistant to run a dummy cycle and look for the water springing forth.

Normally, cycles are 16 minutes nowadays, so we ran one for about 10, just to be sure. NO WATER, NO LEAKS.

Uh. Whatever.

Turn the system back on "auto," wait for the next cycle.

Next cycle, frog is chirping, AGAIN.

DK runs down there, and discovers the problem.

Not one she'd EVER have anticipated. She tells all y'all all (WHERE ELSE can y'get such quality prose as "all y'all all"??!!) the time to anticipate and PLAN FOR every failure, but it's the ones that we DON'T anticipate that are buggers.

So... what happened, with frog chirping #2??

The tanks drain by overflow, all of them, into main PVC pipe "sewer" drainage pipes which converge and empty into one of two sump basins, depending on which side of the room the tanks are.

The sewer drainage pipes are large enough bore that they should not EVER clog.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT.

Oh, yes. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT.

One of the sewer pipes, when it enters the sump basin, was directed through some discharge hose, to the bottom of the basin (for the heat exchanger). The discharge hose then had a smaller bore, still not too small, though, and DK had purposely put into the center of the discharge hose a piece of stiff hose, so that the discharge hose (which is flimsy) could not ever be squashed off.

So far, so good.

But here's the thing.

As the discharge hose left the sewer pipe, it took an angle to head toward the bottom of the sump basin. This angle involved folds and bends of the discharge hose. There was still plenty of open space, DK thought.

There should be NOTHING but water draining from the overflows, she thought, and an occasional shrimp that insists on climbing into the overflow to get swept downstream.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, she forgot about those pesky MTS.

She found the wrinkles of the discharge hose filled with pebbles, so she thought, until she opened it up and realized it was MTS (malaysian trumpet snails, that is). They had clogged the line enough so that her main sewer pipe drainage rate slowed and began to back up, at about 15 minutes into the cycle.

Upstream, where the overflow pipes entered the sewer pipe, when the water level backed all the way up there, it came oozing out and dripped down onto the floor, such that you could not see where it came from, only could see the water on the floor.

BUT DK is persistent, and found the problem. Took apart the sump pit assembly and did a little plumbing adjustment and got rid of the problem, so it can't happen again. While she was in there, she visited and greeted her sump pit underground shrimp, but she did not bother to net them out as she was short of time and they are like feral street children, very hard to catch and they manage on their own in their harsh underground world.

All fixed, she thought.

She gathered the wet towels, ran wash and dry, and sat down to rest.

Later, the frogs chirped AGAIN. This time, the cycle is NOT running.

She looks around for the water, then looks for the source, and this time it was a loose connection to an overflow that had been knocked loose when she was wrangling with the sewer pipe. Tightened that connection back up, and then she declared:

It's time to get serious about the DK Watersnake.

The parts and plans have been sitting down there a year, and she hasn't installed the thing yet.

But now, it's time. That, and Shrimptern 0.0 is returning in a week or so. Hmmmmmmmmm... a convergence of events that suggests a solution...

Her leak frogs are cute, but annoying when they chirp!

OK, so here's a shot of the culprit, after most of the debris was cleared.

And a shot of her Aquavac harvest from the 65 gallon cleaning, about half gallon of solid mulm paste settled out.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #1288
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

thank goodness for leak frogs lol.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #1289
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

While DK stews, and ponders the permanent fix of yesterday's heat exchanger barrel issue, here is the news du jour (that's fancy French, remember this is highbrow prose) on the Mermaids:

NEW BABIES!!

Ever since instituting the CJDS, they have been pumping out the babies. Mermaid babies are THE CUTEST shrimp babies.

Also shown, a clean, fresh Mermaid molt this morning.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #1290
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And, on the Black Tiger front, DK has discovered Rolf, Jr., but with GOLDEN COMIC BOOK EYES, her favorite eyes!!

This little guy is coming up on 1 cm now.