DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 69
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #1021
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
Donna, have you ever thought about using your powers for good instead of evil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loachutus View Post
What is to become or ever became of the Ghetto Gang? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Being an EVIL slum lord-ess, DK keeps one caridina and one neocaridina ghetto tank, into which she plops any respective shrimp that may have social (well, OK, or challenges of cosmesis - that's not actually a word, according to dictionary.com, but it should be one) issues and doesn't fit into their otherwise correct tank. Her personal "Island of Misfit Toys" x 2.

So, they have vastly upgraded their digs, and certainly now they have much more legitimacy. Occasionally, she will debulk the slums to some desperately poor student-type who wants to dabble in cheap shrimp. (Liam, does that qualify as "good??")

But mostly, she watches the slums for three-eyed freak-os and observes Darwinianism at work. Interesting things happen, in the slums, she can tell you. Shrimp are not so different from people, she's discovered from ghetto watching, tending to form cliques and mingle with their own. There is the occasional Romeo and Juliet where the Montagues and Capulets merge genetic material, but it happens rather rarely, actually! Mostly, they want their little Johnnys and Suzies to look just like them.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Zoro tools had the stupidity to send DK a coupon for $30 off a $75 order (she ordered $75.92, so paid $45.92 to get these items cheap, and free shipping), and they offer free shipping on orders over $50 as well, so DK made good on it, buying herself another drum dolly and a pressure regulator/gauge combo, and some 8 foot long 1/4 inch PVC rod (the idea of PVC rod really appealed to her, because she can glue it easily, which this may just come in very handy someday when she digs the rod pieces out of her buckets and barrels of parts) with which she may make a few longer-handled Maseratis or use in the liquid-level indicators/alarms she has swimming around her squirrely brain, lately. This thought process is significantly interrupted this morning, however, with thoughts of reactors to pull the CO2 from her water, live - long story. Not good when two competing projects are fighting it out in her brain at the same time... so noisy.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-14-2012 at 03:04 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #1022
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Well, ok, now.

The zoro toys have arrived. The "drum" dolly is actually a trash can dolly which had appropriate specs for what DK wanted. Problem is it's built for a certain container with a ridge at the bottom, so has a button sticking up to fit into that ridge...hmmmmm... DK needs a flat bottom to support her barrel.

Once again, PVC pipe is useful.

But, she throws out to all y'all peeps: how should she secure the rings on the platform, so they don't slide around or fall off? She has an idea, but thought it would be fun to see if anyone out there bests her idea.

The black part is polyethylene, which means effectively that no glue will bond to it.

Simple, cheap, works, y'know.

Have at it, peeps...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-06-2013 at 12:17 AM..
Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 AM   #1023
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd use L brackets to secure the PVC there.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #1024
Mike Hawk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk

Here is my idea

Drill 2 holes in each pvc pipe
Run some type of rope through the holes
set the PVC tubes in place
Tie the rope tightly to keep the PVC from moving.
The finished product would look like you have it in that picture but with a rope running through all the PVC

Or you can use 3M Scotch Weld DP 8010 but that's kind of expensive.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. -Unknown
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #1025
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (109/100%)

Sand the roller a little, and go to Lowes and look in the caulk ilse. They have plenty of plastic bonding materials, from lock tights to JB weld. I think even gorila glue brand makes some. Key is scuffing the roller. We used a JB weld to piss off the janitors in high school, we sanded the bottoms of the rollers a little, then used 10 tubes of JB weld we took from Auto shop and glues 20 of the trash cans to the rollers she he had to empty all the trash cans by hand and not the dolly.
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #1026
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
I'd use L brackets to secure the PVC there.
Mmmmmmm. HMmmmm.

5 brackets, 15 holes, 15 screws, minimum

Pretty cheap, pretty simple. Would require a trip to Lowes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hawk View Post
Here is my idea

Drill 2 holes in each pvc pipe
Run some type of rope through the holes
set the PVC tubes in place
Tie the rope tightly to keep the PVC from moving.
The finished product would look like you have it in that picture but with a rope running through all the PVC

Or you can use 3M Scotch Weld DP 8010 but that's kind of expensive.
Yeah, I know you CAN glue (ok, chemically WELD) polyethylene, but that stuff is like $25 a tube, nope. Plus, the lead time and shipping... not locally available or cheap.

10 holes, but have to be drilled on slippery round surface - I guess that wouldn't be too bad - stick 'em in the vice to hold 'em. Rope is cheap.

Necklace concept is simple, but presents some challenges of lateral stability - the rings may not shift laterally so would have to be secured from doing so somehow.

Mmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:30 AM   #1027
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarbee54 View Post
Sand the roller a little, and go to Lowes and look in the caulk ilse. They have plenty of plastic bonding materials, from lock tights to JB weld. I think even gorila glue brand makes some. Key is scuffing the roller. We used a JB weld to piss off the janitors in high school, we sanded the bottoms of the rollers a little, then used 10 tubes of JB weld we took from Auto shop and glues 20 of the trash cans to the rollers she he had to empty all the trash cans by hand and not the dolly.
LIAM!!! I am not the evil one!!!

Um, whachu callin' the "rollers?" - 'Cause I DO want the wheels to roll. I just DON'T want the PVC rings to move.

Really, the guy at Lowes is gonna think I have a crush on him, showing up so often.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 AM   #1028
Mike Hawk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk

What about the necklace idea with 2 smaller diameter PVC between the others or aybe 15 PVC rings roped together that are slightly smaller in diameter but the same height.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. -Unknown
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 05:28 AM   #1029
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

velcro tape?
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #1030
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So... let's review. Need a solution to stabilize the PVC rings on the dolly platform, to keep them from shifting or falling off. Ideal solution is cheap, simple, doesn't require a trip to Lowes, uses stuff DK already has, does least damage to structure, leaves no sharp edges, and is reversible. OK, so I added a few things, but they are always on my list, anyway. (Also on my standard list is modular and re-configurable, but they don't apply here.)

First, we must be mindful of structural considerations - this is meant to bear weight - liquid weight - and we want no failures due to our do-ings. We take a look at the underbelly.

DK is rewarded for hoarding... she dug into her stash and pulled out these peculiar screws she had saved "because they might come in useful, someday!" Just the thing.

Five minutes to make a template - this is key, because she used geometry to her advantage - need the widest point on the circle so that only two screws can be used and the ring will not be able to move.

One minute to mark the holes, two to drill them. K.I.S.S.

Voila.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-14-2013 at 02:07 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #1031
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, yesterday, a "local" TPT hobbyist came over to buy some aquarium equipment DK had up for sale, no longer needed due to automation. He and his lovely, friendly, but very quiet girlfriend were here a good time, looking through stuff. (They drove 1.5 hours to get here - that is local when you live in the Amish boonies like DK does.)

Mr. "Plant guy" left.... with a bag of shrimp. And a buncha other stuff.

DK spreads the infection...

He also almost left with the Germans, who, while we were loading up his car and the side door was open, took it upon themselves to quietly and non-chalantly climb up into his car and seat themselves, one in the back seat, the other in the driver's seat!

This week, she also managed to score a new junior addict client - a 5 year old whose hobbyist dad set up a tank for Jr. and asked junior what he wanted in it - "shrimp like daddy's tank" and so a boatload of cherries later, DK gets reports back that said 5 year old spent the entire evening staring at all the new cherries, especially the tiny babies amongst the ones DK sent them...

DK spreads the infection...

Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #1032
AlisaR
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Is there a cure?
AlisaR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #1033
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaR View Post
Is there a cure?
Not that I've discovered. At best, one can shift one's drug of choice.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 05-14-2013 at 02:07 AM..
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #1034
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Called it! :P
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1035
AlisaR
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

That one is definitely a Samantha vs a Sam.
AlisaR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.