DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 60
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #886
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Glad their family is well.

I believe this is the first time I've seen pictures of your actual tanks in your shrimp room !

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #887
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

sad news indeed.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #888
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Glad their family is well.

I believe this is the first time I've seen pictures of your actual tanks in your shrimp room !
The family survived, but the mother had a torn carotid artery from the shear forces and due to this has had multiple strokes. She is in a high end rehab hospital currently. Her right side is broken from orthopedic injuries, her left side incapacitated from the strokes. I don't know her prognosis, but I do know the facility is one of the best. We are busy feeding her family as, - you know, Murphy's law - they happened to have their kitchen torn apart, ready for a remodel when this happened, so have no kitchen on top of it!

I haven't taken too many tank shots the past year because I've been preoccupied doing studies and photography is very low on the priority list - they are tiresome to photograph because they aren't really set up for pictures - wrong lighting, slimy glass, etc.

Shrimptern and I will be doing some SERIOUS tank wrangling next week. That, along with the ALL NEW DK Water Factory 3.0 is going to be a phenominal upgrade. DK pulled out all the stops, emptied her paypal account and then some (don't tell), and fixed every little bug she's accumulated in her 2-3 years of making WF 1.0 and 2.0. I think she must have done 100 upgrades this version - and each one was detail oriented and rather more time consuming to implement than she estimated... she thought after pre-making modules that the install would be a solid two days, but she underestimated the detail work time and it's taken about triple the time she estimated. She has bruises and blisters and hands so sore she had trouble buttoning buttons and shampooing her hair!

But, it's SOOOOOOOOOOO gonna be worth it!!!!!

OK, I have to get back to work... just did a coo-el re-mount of the Stenner pumps, I can now pull them off the wall in two seconds, no need to unscrew the mounting anymore! - This 3.0 has nearly every component pop-n-go.

DK
Old 04-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #889
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Your friendly neighborhood shrimptern here. DK has ask me to write about my time in the Shrimporium so here it goes.

First off, is very cool to see all the projects and gadgets she's bloged about in use. We spent Sunday reseting some tanks for some new shimp she has coming in and today added the plumbing to them and began getting the DKWF 3.0 up and running.

Also learning about some of the mad science she does. I hope to be able to put some of it to use, especially if she has success with these new shrimp.

She's a pretty good travel agent. I got a tour of the surrounding Omish country. Beautiful countryside, lots of cows, horses, and buggies. I was also treated to some of the best ice cream I've ever had, so rich ,creamy and YUMMY!!

Can't wait til tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #890
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

cant wait to see new pics
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 PM   #891
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Sounds like your having a blast shrimptern !

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #892
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK, here.

Shripmtern is being modest. Day one we physically moved 5 tanks, including emptying and cleaning and resetting two of them, and moving three others with shrimp still inside. This was done to get the species in the right positions for the new water system and also to correct some placement for temperature preferences.

The WF 3.0 work is too long to describe here, but it's detail work that will result in a phenomenal system, that we also worked on.

Today, we ignite the Aquavac for her maiden run, emptying a 75 and re-setting two 75s, moving one from upstairs to downstairs in the shrimporium, after we drill it.

Gotta run... busy week!

DK
Old 04-12-2012, 01:31 AM   #893
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, so we've been busy. Really, really busy. Right now, DK and Shrimptern are tired, really really tired. So tired, DK sent Shrimptern up to The Chair instead of writing here. Shrimptern has been bonding with the iJoy chair. But what a great week so far!

Today, we took a side trip up to That Fish Place through Amish country, returning to do Shrimporium work. Today's bit of new knowledge was how to remove silicone residue from glass... we used a baking soda paste wetted by WD40. Afterward, we washed down the tank with Dawn dish detergent and a good hose rinse. (Yesterday, Shrimptern learned the art of glass drilling.)

Don't tell, but DK definitely got the good end of this deal. Last night, DK was sipping hot tea while Shrimptern did the dishes! Today, DK had to pop out to Lowes to find a part, and while she went Shrimptern made this amazing black beans and red rice with chunks of sun dried tomato, red onion, marinated artichoke... um... yeah... Shrimptern is a good thing, DK has learned!

We have been too busy to stop to take pictures, and you should SEE the Shrimporium (NOT!!!) - it looks like a tornado hit in there. Actually, it sorta did, figuratively.

Just as we moved the upstairs 75 gallon tank down to the Shrimporium to automate it, Other Geek ordered up two servers and DK will bequeath the former 75 rack to OG for his server rack...

Oh, we did fire up the DK Aquavac yesterday after a bit of fooling with it. We had so much fun playing with it we even rigged up the shop vac flat spout to it to see if we could use it underwater just like a regular vac, vacuuming the tank "floor" and such. (Unlike a wet-dry vac such as the shop vac, the Aquavac is a "closed loop" system that returns the water to the tank, so you can keep cleaning up as long as the filter bag has room for more accumulation.)

Today's part used for an unintended (plumbing) purpose was this:

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-26-2013 at 02:35 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #894
FreedPenguin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)

Wow DK your level is light years beyond mind. I was proud of my UGF lol!

RAOK Club #15
FreedPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #895
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Your friendly neighborhood shrimptern here again.

What a week!! Learned alot. The Aqua-vac is so cool and simple. It's amazing how simple she keeps things, except of course the DKWF. It's still hard to get my mind around that thing. I could never come up with something like that. It was fun watching her get it cranked up.

I spent a few hours netting shrimp out of her 'broke student tank'. I think I netted at least 200 shrimp out. Needless to say my shrimp netting skills have improved and the Maserati's blow all other shrimp nets outta the water. I wish I had more time to help her make more, then again maybe not, because I would have probably tried to sneak a few in my luggage.

She took me to get some greek food today. OH MY GAWD!!! The place was called Grecian Delites. Eastcoasters, look for their feta spreads in a store near you, soon. I ate myself into a mild food coma.

It was also great getting sonicly assalted by Queen of the Wave on almost a daily basis. Great album!

My time here seemed so short. I hope to get back someday. People like DK are what make this hobby (especially the shrimp side) so fun and interesting. It'll be a sad day for all of us if she ever decides to get out of it. She is one heck of an amzing person. She's helped a lot of us to become better shrimpers and most of that takes place behind the scenes.

*Shrimptern bows to the Shrimp Sensei and says a BIG OLE THANK YOU!!*
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM   #896
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i want a pic of this net
Old 04-14-2012, 03:47 AM   #897
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i want a pic of this net
It starts back here.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...-d-o-i-47.html

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #898
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

thanks for the link back i SOOOOOOO want one of those lol
Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #899
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Well, Shrimptern has departed for parts far away, traveling home halfway across the country. What an incredible week, and so enriching for a friendship.

It's a bit scary when two extreme hobbyists and foodies get together and symbiose!

Yesterday while chewing the fat, after finally finding some real estate in the tornado storm of the Shrimporium, getting that BEAST of WF 3.0 actually live, running feeds to the tanks, we were rewarded to see 5 red tigers non-chalantly wander out of the weeds displaying their loads of eggs! Mind you, this is two weeks into dead water tanks, awaiting the new system. Spring is upon us and with it prime breeding season, and for this reason DK is most grateful for all the willing assistance Shrimptern provided with energy, tunes, and bright blue eyes! This was such a great experience DK will be slunking off to ponder how to do much more of this thing...

One thing that happened was DK was forced to take apart an injector down to the guts, which frightened her, but once inside she was glad of it, learning the way it works and now she's no longer intimidated about the black box-ness of those things - she now knows exactly how they work, and therefore how things can go astray and therefore how to fix them.

Shrimptern didn't mention it, but on the last (daily) trip to Lowes, we ran into DK's fav plumbing guy, who of course chewed the fat with us a good half hour before we were able to go find our parts. Turns out, Lowes plumbing manager knew some folks darned near where Shrimptern lives and had some pretty good anecdotal stories thereof.

Oh, and here's the latest configuration of DKWF 3.0. Up until the day before we fired her up live, DK was awaking in the wees with new EUREKA moments, how to re-configure the beast for one reason or another, mostly to do with new objectives enabled by the new technology, and with chemistry compatibility and component maintenance in mind.

Also a shot of the 75 we moved from upstairs down to the Shrimporium.

Life is short folks, and the world is full of folks, quite a few of them amazing people.

DK closes this post with one of her driving quotes, appropriately from the original Dr. Doolittle soundtrack.

Shrimptern, this is for you.
DK knows this
- one of her favorite quotes -
will especially speak to you,
and your week here:

"Our lives tick by like pendulum swings,
Delicate things, butterfly wings,
Life is full of beautiful things,
Beautiful people, too.
Beautiful people, like you."

I've already discovered what you left me in the fridge...

AND IN OTHER NEWS...................................

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-26-2013 at 02:35 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #900
AlisaR
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Red tigers. Lust!
AlisaR is offline   Reply With Quote