DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 57
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #841
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

It's been a couple of years coming.... the next generation Water Factory. The parts are starting to roll in... here's the first new part...

...about a pound of extremely value-added plastic.

Stuff to arrive from as far as Israel in the next couple of weeks...

DK has stuff coming and going, and her head is swimming with tech-nese.

She is very pleased to have finished (she's pretty sure she's finished, that is) her extensive calculations toward the first new DKMSJS water recipes.

She evicted a couple hundred shrimp today from a particular tank, and did some technical messing around - that tank is now super-insulated, super heat controlled, super vapor controlled and soon to be super water controlled. Now, she just needs mermaids... I hear they are nothing like sea monkeys...

Stay tuned.

IN OTHER NEWS, the Pellman's Triple Chocolate cake is all gone, now, and DK is in a state of dechox, today. It had to happen sometime.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #842
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

DK, do you do shrimp-room tours? Your online explanations are great but I can't wrap my head around some of this stuff you're doing!!! Too bad you're 2000+ miles away...
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 AM   #843
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranewbie View Post
DK, do you do shrimp-room tours? Your online explanations are great but I can't wrap my head around some of this stuff you're doing!!! Too bad you're 2000+ miles away...
I don't think the brain melt that might ensue is covered by my policy... I'd havta check...

IN OTHER NEWS:

After days and DAYS of calculations and re-calculations, and then a quick trip to Lowes, DK rough plumbed in Water Factory v.3.0. She neglected both bodily input and output for waaaaaaaaaay too long during the plumbing bit, and is about to drop from, first, fatigue and, second, the wave of splanchnic shift due to finally attending to bodily functions.

Two injectors added to the fray - yes, she admits it's getting to the point of ridiculousness, and she battled real estate issues trying to fit them in, but there they are, and this has been one hekuva project - some of the most fun stuff ever. I just hope it works...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #844
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

one word....... WOW
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #845
cookymonster760
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/90%)

dude how do you even think of this stuff i mean wow you are managing like 30 different complicated things at once great job
cookymonster760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #846
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

I haven't visited this thread in a minute.

Three words... CRAZY SOPHISTICATED!! Oh... & AWESOME!

I see a water meter hooked up, with the meter lid open... what are the 2 devices with the half cut jugs covering?
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #847
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

DK covers up her secret sauce with milk jugs and garbage bags :>
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #848
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookymonster760 View Post
dude how do you even think of this stuff i mean wow you are managing like 30 different complicated things at once great job
This is DK's version of lazy. She doesn't like to do things of a repetitive nature (i.e. water changes), so she automates. She makes crazy, whacko contraptions to work for her, then just throws a food pellet now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
I haven't visited this thread in a minute.

Three words... CRAZY SOPHISTICATED!! Oh... & AWESOME!

I see a water meter hooked up, with the meter lid open... what are the 2 devices with the half cut jugs covering?
Those are Stenner injection pumps. They have a fan facing upwards and the sophisticated milk jugs are just dust covers on the cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordalphus View Post
DK covers up her secret sauce with milk jugs and garbage bags :>
And a squirt of Sriracha, which she replenished with two bottles, yesterday. The gallon of jalapenos are going pretty fast.

DKMSJ is so tasty that she was growing stuff in the mixing chambers, too, especially the covered one that was sorta close to a tank and was soaking up the fake sunshine and making diatoms in her mixing chamber. She put a stop to that with a total eclipse, and drowned out the zillion cries of the diatoms by swigging a good Bubba Mug of Starbucks...

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK hopes to go live with the new water recipes later today (this morning she's at Univ. of Delaware all morning, shortly). She should know in about a week how her soup recipe cooks out...

She did some remedial surgery on one of the injectors last night, converting it from one model to another - that was pretty fun, and she must give the company 5 stars for customer service for calling her back within 5 minutes and talking her through the process at 4:45 pm on a Friday afternoon. Here, she thought she was buggered to wait until Monday to make the conversion, but we got it done over the phone in 15 minutes. Nothing like talking to someone who understands the "guts" of something, to help one understand...

I'm off, now.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #849
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, after completing the UD stuff this morning, DK swung (word geek alert: did you know you can use either swang or swung as the simple past tense of swing??) by the Delaware Technical and Community College to the Delaware Mineralogical Society's annual Gem, Mineral and Fossil show. (She goes to it nearly every year.)

She knew just which booth to head to (I know, I know, bad grammar), and then after consulting with their Head Geek, geek-to-geek, she scored some MOST lovely silica-based petrified wood for her new project - all for the bargain price of $20 (that would be well under a buck a pound, and retail near here is many times that at the fish store, although generally DK would not BUY rocks, but in this case she did - and petrified wood is hard to find, anyway, except at the G,M,&F show, plus there is no shipping!), and she was glad to fund their doings with a bit of cash, as they are nice folks and not playing video games but rather exploring the earth in their spare time.

Here is her haul:

Whaddya think? I can just see shrimp - er, I mean mermaids - crawling all over these ledges...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-19-2013 at 06:32 PM..
Old 03-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #850
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Wow, those are gorgeous!
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #851
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Beautiful pieces, I love the splintered wood style! I like it more than the fractured logs that are more common. My petrified wood is the latter
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #852
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, so DK didn't make the 4 PM water making, due to delays playing with the new rocks, and so DK didn't get all the tasks done... hopefully she can make water tomorrow; she's very close.

Here are some shots of the rocks in the tank; DK knows some of you could do better hardscape than this, but this is set up with habitat in mind and DK wanted UNDER surfaces so she did it like this. Plus, she just doesn't obsess that much on stuff like this.

Liam, I think you mean petrified wood like sliced hot dogs? I do like the more natural look of splinters rather than log slices, for sure. These happen to go very well with my substrate color, too, although, again, color isn't priority for my set-ups.

DK's been doing some super-fun whacky alchemy, lately. I sure hope her calculations were in the ballpark. There were so many variables to best-guess...

Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #853
AlisaR
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Whhhhhaaaa! So JEALOUS of those rocks. How was the mineral show?
You need some random sticks btw.
AlisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #854
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Perhaps some of you wonder where DK gets her -- uh -- thinking process.

I will let you in on a secret: it's the pillowcase.

Her best friend made her this magical pillowcase of sock monkeys floating in space riding bananas. It does the trick. DK sleeps on it, lets the magic soak into her brain all night as the sock monkeys work their wonders.

So, you too could have this thinking process. If you had a best friend like DK has. Who would make you such a pillowcase.

They are hard to get, though.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #855
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisaR View Post
Whhhhhaaaa! So JEALOUS of those rocks. How was the mineral show?
You need some random sticks btw.
It's a great show. Usually DK is torn between the fossils and then the coo-el mineral samples and then there are all those colorful shiny beady things, too. Today, she was pressed for time and only had time to look for the rocks, and she was not disappointed. It's a great value at only $5 to get in, and then such bargains! And those rock hound types are really nice folks, too.

I thought about sticks but sticks get in the way of nets... I'd like to keep it simple, and I think with this arrangement there is plenty of crawly surface and also of hidey hole type places.