DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 54
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #796
leo1234
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Turn the wood sideways and then place each nail on the staionary one. But the nails will be touching the ground though.
leo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #797
leo1234
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Or you can bend the nails and into u shape's and then place it on.
leo1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #798
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

LOVE that puzzle! Takes a while though...
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #799
jone
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Take one nail and lay it flat,,take the remaining nails and alternate the heads along the shank of the other nail 90 degrees..after that is done,,pickup the one nail that has all the other nail head across (the heads will interlock on the shank of the other nail)and balance it on the stationary nail head ..This is a very balanced oriented ordeal..takes alot of patience and a steady hand.. This is alot harder thatn anyone would think..
jone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #800
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo1234 View Post
Or you can bend the nails and into u shape's and then place it on.
If you can bend those nails with your bare hands you got the puzzle down easily haha.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #801
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

jone got it, but as I found it easy to pick up the nail sandwich, I have to guess I've spent... err invested, more time - several decades ago while in college - balancing empty ummmm... containers on top of each other.

Here's a picture http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/...ng-nails-trick
and a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4w9e...eature=related
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #802
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranewbie View Post
LOVE that puzzle! Takes a while though...

$25 Shrimporium bucks to Tetranewbie FOR ACCURATELY FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS.

Some of rest of you... didn't. The point of the post was to provide fodder for problem solving, and see the process of problem solving unfold.

Tetranewbie was astute enough to understand the objective of the post...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-14-2012 at 11:21 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #803
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

congrats tetranewbie. thats a cool puzzle dk
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #804
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK does a lot of projects. The first, and most important, step to any project is to get a global perspective of the objectives. Because it's from the global perspective that any compromises must be negotiated.

Yesterday, I almost posted in someone's thread about some very challenging problems they are about to face, but then thought better of it - that would have removed a valuable learning process - problem solving. They will be better off, down the road, from the experience of problem solving than from being told the problems and solutions, first.

The Aquavac project is a great example of the problem solving process.

First, my global objectives are to develop a tool with certain capabilities that will fit into the overall scheme of optimized automation in shrimp keeping.

So to this end, I needed a tool which would:
  • clean an incoming water stream, (debulk the mulm from a tank)
  • vacuum up small particles and isolate them, (remove substrate for recycling or clean algae patches or plant fragments)
  • be usable on any of my tanks
  • be robust and dependable
  • be cleanable/disinfectable easily
Now, in any building project I tend to use some global parameters:
  • make the construction heavy duty
  • design in a modular fashion
  • make any aspect of the design easily alterable or replaceable to the extent possible
  • use commonly available, inexpensive materials
  • keep it as simple as possible, given the above
  • good, but cheap - good comes first
Aquavac v.1.0 used a bucket with gamma seal I already had, that was supposed to be robust and air tight. The capacity was within the range I wanted. I had the bulkheads and plumbing parts, and bought what I thought was a suitable pump to drive the AV with enough power and flow to accomplish the technical goals.

Problem was, the gamma seal would not seal, mostly under pressure but also under vacuum. Both conditions occur - pressure as one primes the chamber, then later vacuum as the pump is circulating. The whole thing wasn't at all elegant, but would have been just fine, had the gamma seal worked. I tried a number of fixes, and couldn't get it to seal in the manner I needed.

Aquavac v.2.0 utilised a different chamber, a locknlock container that I knew would create an airtight seal under vacuum. It was moderately robust, but I worried about that. I did, however, discover that it would pop the seal and leak under pressure, so it went bust. Bummer, I wasted a locknlock, however I had bought it clearance and its cost was maybe $3.

AV v.2.0 solved two other problems from v.1.0.

First, it had a see-through chamber, so when the filter sock gets full one can see that and change it out, easily.

Second, in v.1.0, the tubings were coming off the apparatus straight up and were kinking over time when they flopped over. So v.2.0 mounted them horizontally rather than vertically.

What 2.0 lacked, I soon discovered, was a bleed valve that would become necessary to make pump priming easy. I could have installed one, but the big picture told me to move on from the locknlock container - every hole in a container is a point of potential failure. That FOUNTAIN GRADE pump driving the system is not to be disrespected - a failure will result in a LOT of water displacement in a short time.

It also had an awkward footprint and a layout that was vulnerable at a number of stress points - not robust from this perspective. DK hates babysitting. DK likes set-it-and-forget-it, and not having to worry about some weakness.

Time to get REALLY serious about a robust chamber.

The hilarious thing is, when DK went to her bins and barrels, thinking "pressure vessel, AIR TIGHT seals under PRESSURE and VACUUM, transparent, robust, about a gallon volume" - she realized she had bought the very part ORIGINALLY for this project, to use, but then had relegated it to parts, due to capacity. It had all the other characteristics needed, easily. (Such a part IS available in a larger capacity, but isn't exactly cheap, so she had moved on, not ready to compromise YET.)

That was the moment, recently, of forehead smacking and laughing hilariously.

OK, this post is long enough, for now. Plus, I need to shoot some pics later for illustration.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #805
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

This arrived, today... time to dig out the sharpening rods... for the ripe price of $12 shipped to my door, a stainless baby back rib de-fatter with exotic wood handle...

Y'know a hundred years from now, if we haven't obliterated ourselves by then, folks will look back on such a thing and be in awe that a cheap tool could come with a REAL, beautiful WOOD handle. By then, there will be no more trees, only polymers..

Sort of like that lady licking the strawberry jam spoon in Soylent Green...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #806
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK's latest doing, while she waits for the new Aquavac chamber to arrive.

Them thar's the monga syringes flown in from Hong Kong - much cheaper and better to make a manifold from than graduated cylinders - they are 100 ml capacity each.

This here's a manifold for reading both absolute, and relative, flow performance of her feed lines.

In case you're wondering, the manifold is mounted hidden inside the cabinet door under a 65 gallon tank. Just to be clear, this stand DK got el cheapo on craigslist. That is NOT her carpentry!! That is, however, her cobbled together mounting for the manifold - lately she is forcing herself to use what she already has in parts and pieces, whenever possible.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #807
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

The jumbo Aquavac chamber has tracked locally and will arrive Monday. So today, DK heads out to buy some polyester tube socks and nylon knee highs... Oh, and she needs to look for a scrap of this in her piles of parts 'n' pieces.

She's also trying to get up the gumption to finally install that DKSnake and try it out. She just hasn't quite merged with the mood to drill for tapcons, yet, but it's coming. And she needs to do some detail work using the chop saw on some specialized pieces of plasti-wood (is that an oxymoron??).

In other news, yesterday she called in her trusty senior citizen co-conspirator (SCCC), for a consult. He's a worse project junkie than she is, and also a hoarder. One does not let him loose on a project unless one is ready, TODAY, to go full tilt on it, with him right there. She laughs, because she called him to put him on the hunt for a utility door with certain criteria (36 x 80 slab, left hinge, top half glass, metal, insulated, cheap), and to her hilarious delight, he already had one in his stash!! That is a serious project hoarder. He had gotten it free, too. So we hauled it down to the place of the crime, and began our planning... DK gets serious this year about chilling her Shrimporium, so it's a bit l.a.r.g.e.r. project, going faster than planned, but, hey, who is she to argue with progress...

Those of you who have read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (not seen the movie, cheaters - that is like looking at the answer to a puzzle before you solve it...), DK will let you in on a little secret. Her Shrimporium is attached to a space like in that book, and the door will be going onto the jam between her Shrimporium and that room. (There are NO nefarious activities to take place in that space, however, and she will not be showing you the space but does present the jamb in the pic, below. The Shrimporium lies beyond that door...)

Guess she also needs to pick up that PT dimensional lumber today, too, or SCCC will be twitching, wanting to know why she doesn't have it, YET!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #808
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Not gonna lie to ya... it scared DK to do this on her chop saw.

But she does think it will be perfect.

She was fortunate and did it safely (she rigged a jig; she did not do it freehand!!!), but it would probably have been worth the few bucks to buy the perforated pipe rather than try to do this. However, she did manage, and it's a part she already had, or could fabricate from something she already had...

Old 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #809
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So... DK hasn't even left the house yet. She got diverted on yet another project:

Shrimphenge

First, the map. Under a glass plate.

Then, the pieces, glued together.

What the heck it is, really???

Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #810
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

hey dk sorry to be bearer of bad news but mail dont run monday its a holiday package will arrive tuesday. dont hate me just wanted to warn you
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote