DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #751
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Great one stop shop. There is a rumor that the end of the world is this year

DK, I need to order the following for post 2012:

10 Black Tigers
10 T-Rex
1 Sniper Rifle
1 Silencer
some self guided ammo like this. Ammo
1 German Shepard Dog with lots of DRIVE

Yup, I'll be set for anything with that package.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #752
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

And here we have the global perspective, on this newest monster in DK's stable of automation tools.

The concept is basically the same as the swimming pool skimmer, with the exception that I have not included a weir (I learned a new word, in this project - there is always something I learn...) in the design.

The chamber has a waterfall edge that is lower than the tank water level. So of course, the water then falls into the chamber and fills it up, sucking the surface water to do so. The rate at which it sucks surface water is a function of the depth of laminar flow at the waterfall surface - that's the part that is sorta Bernoulli but not exactly. I chose the side surface of the chamber rather than the larger front surface for the waterfall edge because of three things:
  1. There was already a hole in the side of my chamber, where a bulkhead had gone. (least important reason)
  2. Using the end, with a smaller waterfall, would make the water flow faster for the same amount of pumping.
  3. I wanted to utilize a circular current on the tank surface that would feed surface water into my waterfall. By locating the waterfall on the side and having the powerhead shoot out the other side, it causes an overall circular current on the tank surface which continuously feeds new surface water and debris into the waterfall. Pulling the waterfall from the front edge would have pulled surface water from the center of the tank, with no real method to create a "feed" stream.
Because the waterfall edge is lower than the tank water surface, I figured I'd need some sort of weight to keep pulling the chamber down into the water, so I used the weight of the powerhead, which is why I mounted it to the bottom of the chamber. The weight, and pull, of the powerhead stabilizes the chamber's position in the water, if the chamber starts to empty too much.

The powerhead pulls water from the chamber from two places:
  1. From the general chamber water, fed by the waterfall
  2. From the auxillary feed port, the second bulkhead in the chamber bottom.
The trick is to encourage MORE pull from the waterfall feed than from the auxillary feed, and balance the flow so the pump keeps pulling what is falling over the edge. I placed a sponge prefilter over the auxillary port to add a scootch of resistance, making less resistance pulling from waterfall water than auxillary port water, at least until the net clogs with debris. It still pulls from both sources, but the ratio is favored toward the waterfall water so long as its resistance is slightly less than the resistance of the auxillary port.

If the pump is too weak, it still pulls, but the waterfall is slow because the chamber water level is nearly the same as the tank water level and doesn't suck surface water fast and therefore doesn't surface vacuum the duckweed very well. If the pump is too strong, it pulls not only the waterfall water but also the auxillary feed water, and if it's strong enough, it will start to pump more water out of the chamber than is being replaced by those two feeds into the chamber. The result of this is that the chamber water level lowers over time, until it reaches a point where the chamber starts to float up and the whole system stops working. So the most important balance issue is to not pull TOO much water from the chamber - that would tip the balance toward emptying the chamber.

As the water falls over the waterfall and into the chamber, it is pumped out the bottom of the chamber by the powerhead, continuously. The system will work continuously unless the flow balance is altered, for example if the catch net clogs with debris such that now most of the water is now pulled from the auxillary feed port.

Points of control can be added into the system to help balance adjustability, for example: a variable plate at the waterfall base to adjust the height of the waterfall edge - the deeper the waterfall layer, the slower the surface vacuum; a valve on the auxillary port to adjust the resistance across that port via the degree to which the valve is opened or partially closed. And of course, if one has a variable output pump, that is also a point of adjustability.

At any rate, here are the global pics, of the set-up.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-06-2013 at 11:45 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #753
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Here's another global view of the DKDD. Here, you can see the sponge prefilter on the auxillary port. I've also added a 45 degree piece to the powerhead output stream, to kick the stream back up to the surface, to drive that circular surface current.

THIS WEEKEND: The sea trials. Will it work??? - I'll be at University of Delaware all morning, so I'll be reporting back after that...

In other news, today the last pieces arrived for the DKSnake project. I now have everything needed for the install, except for the relay to divert wall power to battery power, so the first install will be on battery power only. Here's what I spent the week awaiting.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #754
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Back from UD.

OK, so for frame of reference, this is a 75 gallon tank. And these are the starting conditions. (This is a bucket from the de-bulk of the DK Aquavac.)

As you can see, DK needs these tools to automate tank cleaning when a tank gets outta control!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #755
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Still running around.... just back from Lowes, where I picked up a few fittings for my spot pressure tester and feed line tester. Wandering around the store, I was lucky enough to wander past the sheet cutting saw where in the dumpster I discovered two 4x8 sheets of foam board.

The guy running the sheet saw said I could have them, so DK went dumpster diving and she knows just what she'll use them for! (German ShepHERD added for scale.)

Whee-hoo! Now, onto the sea trials...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-09-2013 at 02:17 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #756
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i have a mixed german shepherd they are great dogs. yours done look to happy in that pick lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #757
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

When I was a little kid I had a dog that was one half German Sheperd and one half wild coyote (never really heard of anyone keeping a non-wild coyote, maybe that is redundant).

It was the coolest dog ever.

Looked like a German Shepherd but a lot smaller.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #758
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
When I was a little kid I had a dog that was one half German Sheperd and one half wild coyote (never really heard of anyone keeping a non-wild coyote, maybe that is redundant).

It was the coolest dog ever.

Looked like a German Shepherd but a lot smaller.
How did you know it was half coyote? Inquiring minds want to know...

News flash: Updated DK GodDogRottie pics. He's up to 30 lbs something and growing like a beef cow! Here is the other Angus with some friends.

Next up: What happened with the DK Duckweek Detonator???

Old 02-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #759
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Oh, wait. I lied. This just in. Some other lovely, lovely Germans, soon to be sharing digs with DK shreemps.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #760
AlisaR
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

ShepHERD is not pleased to be accomplice to dumpster diving. Way beneath him.
AlisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #761
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Wow, those Dobe's are gorgeous!
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #762
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
How did you know it was half coyote? Inquiring minds want to know...
A litter of pups was found along with the dead mother (a coyote) at a construction site.

The German Shepherd part was what had to be guessed at but it was pretty clear that the father was a shepherd (whether pure blood or not who knows).

Awesome dog. Really smart. He looked sort of like a small German Shepherd with mange (had that scruffy sort of fur like coyotes have).

We lived in the country - there would not be a could in the sky and he would disappear into the house and hide in the basement. Sure enough within an hour or two a storm would show up. The poor dog was scared to death of thunder.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #763
ch3fb0yrdee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranewbie View Post
Wow, those Dobe's are gorgeous!
Lemme 2nd that. Your Dobes are just awesome! I'm cannot wait until I get my own.
ch3fb0yrdee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #764
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i had red dobies. 3 of them an american, a german, and a king what wonderfull dogs they where. had to rehome them when i moved its a shame there are so many wonderfull breeds on the band list for houses now days.

any who how the shrimpies doin dk we got side tracked lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #765
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
A litter of pups was found along with the dead mother (a coyote) at a construction site.

The German Shepherd part was what had to be guessed at but it was pretty clear that the father was a shepherd (whether pure blood or not who knows).

Awesome dog. Really smart. He looked sort of like a small German Shepherd with mange (had that scruffy sort of fur like coyotes have).

We lived in the country - there would not be a could in the sky and he would disappear into the house and hide in the basement. Sure enough within an hour or two a storm would show up. The poor dog was scared to death of thunder.
Wow, what a great story - wish I could see a pic of this hybrid! At DK's house we've often had discussions about what a blockbuster a mini-GSD breed would be - I would love to have Beagle-size GSD's running around.

Angus 1 (DK's GSD rescue) was squinting in the misting rain in that picture. Angus 2 (GodDogRottie) is living the good life down south with lots of extended pack.

Just to be clear - the shreemps are going to where the Dobies live; the Dobies are not coming to live with DK (although I'd love to have them, but the DK German ShepHERDS would probably not be pleased to have new sleek Dobies show up, prancing around...).

I'll digress here and tell a DK Dobie tale. When she was younger, DK had her first Dobie, a red named Suron. She rescued him, also, and after putting on some weight and getting rid of parasites and mange, he developed into a big ol' sweetheart. He had been personal protection trained, and DK worked him a bit using her best friend as decoy, for fun. At the time DK's older brothers no longer lived at home.

Some DK cousins, teenage girls at the time, came from out of state to visit the DK family home. DK was a pipsqueak early-teen at the time and her older brothers didn't listen all that well to things she said. Well, the older brothers came over to visit and met Suron, he was a big goofball all afternoon. The brothers took the teen girl cousins out for some evening fun, and pipsqueak DK told the brothers to have the cousins back before DK was in bed or Suron would not let them into the house. They laughed.

And came home in the wee hours. The cousins came in the foyer, first, Suron greeted them with a butt-wag. The SAME brothers that he had goofed with all afternoon THEN came across the threshold, while DK was now asleep, and they no more than crossed the threshold when Suron launched full mode at them, slamming them up against the front door with his body and front end while raising a holy racket to wake the dead - scared those macho brothers outta their minds. DK had to drag herself from her bed to call off Suron and let the brothers out the door.

Suron knew they were OK during the day, to visit our home, while DK was up and active. Suron also knew the cousins were staying with us, and were OK to come into the house. But Suron was not ABOUT to let those brothers into the house when DK was not around, in the wees. Gotta love a good Dobie story...

Heh heh.