DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 42
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #616
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

OK, so, in between the legal posturing with the Solar company, the projectile vomiting disease, the plumbing main in our house springing a leak due to corrosion of fittings due to well water at pH 5 something and dropping everything to order replacement parts (John Guest is my friend, here, as is the new PEX tubing cutter - see posts on the heat exchanger project...) for the whole main house hot and cold plumbing lines, and... what else...

DK's managed to set up jigs in the drill press and chop saw and come up with v 1.00 Maserati prototype. So far, she's real happy. This baby will be bleach proof, extremely light and maneuverable, have 3-axis stability, and just be....slick.

I am using my jewelry (earring) tool to make the bends in the wire - that is the red-handled tool whose "snout" consists of two cones instead of plier grips, see last picture. And the DE-luxe toenail clipper, to make that oh-so-smooth finish on the cable tie.

Whaddya think? Liam??

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 03-27-2013 at 11:34 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #617
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

What's going on in the house plumbing main joints... ARGH!!

Ironically, we have since put in a water treatment system so no further damage will occur to the joints.

It was the technology of that treatment system that enabled DK to build DK's Water Factory.

So you see, all things are related...

Old 12-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #618
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

What do I think? Me thinks that is SWEET!

Nice work Dk
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #619
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So... I've decided to tweak one thing... I've made smaller the hole for the hanging ring; this way the ring is hard-mounted rather than swinging. This will help when I have one-handed operation and want to re-hang the net on its hook - I will not have to fuss with a wobbly hanging ring.

Those of you who are wondering why-the-heck I'm custom fabricating shrimp nets when I could buy them for a buck or two... let me just quote Julia Roberts: "...this thing corners like it's on rails..." - until you've used a Maserati and are serious about your netting skills and biosecurity, you will never understand...

Also shown: The very high tech jigs I made. (For those of y'all with Asperger's, that is an example of tongue-in-cheek - Wiki it.) And some new organization towers I treated myself to. I ordered two, they sent two but one missing the central axis, so I called and they replaced that whole one. Of course, DK then had to rig her own replacement axis from... what else... plumbing parts... so I got 3 for the price of 2. You can see PART of the mess I'm attempting to organize, in the background... and also the rigged one on the right with the CPVC axis.

In other news, I have 50 pounds of chemical goodness tracking to arrive today, toward 2012 DKMSJ and likely far beyond! DK HATES to run out of critical stuff. OK, so she's a hoarder.

Oh, and, a few of the John Guests have arrived... more to arrive today. I know what DK's gonna be doing during x-mas vacay... wish me success in re-plumbing my house! BTW - while DK has the full complement of PEX plumbing tools, she has opted to use John Guest because between the PEX tubing and the JG fittings, the well water will touch NO metal, only lovely polypropylene. Most other brands of "push fittings" result in water contact with metal, or are not endorsed by actual plumbers.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #620
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

You know DK, when you first tried the original maserati, you were unsure about it. A doubting donna. Then I got a PM a week later full of praise and undying affection. Haha!

I'm gonnna have to steal a few of these indestructable ones from you when you get a chance.
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM   #621
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Pardon me for what might possibly be a horrible question, but... what do you mean by "netting skills and biosecurity" and somehow I have a very hard time comparing a shrimp net and a Lotus Esprit
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #622
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetranewbie View Post
Pardon me for what might possibly be a horrible question, but... what do you mean by "netting skills and biosecurity" and somehow I have a very hard time comparing a shrimp net and a Lotus Esprit
Ever see those animal TV shows where the camera guy in a helicopter is filming a herd of something from above, and the herd is scattering in all directions from the scare of the helicopter - the chaos? This happens to shrimp also during average netting - they disperse from fear and the startle reaction.

When you are trying to pick a shrimp, a particular shrimp, at a feeding station let's say, if you have a Maserati, you have the ability to approach with such finesse, you can go in there, single out your shrimp, cut him off from the herd, and net him out, without disturbing the other shrimp at all, due to the maneuverability of the Maserati. Because it's very light and fine and maneuverable, not slippery to the hand or heavy and clunky.

And I have 30ish tanks (kinda depends on how you count them; some are split tanks with a divider), livestock coming and going all parts of the year, and a background in biology. It's only prudent practice to isolate each biome from the others, for biosecurity purposes. One infection coming in could quickly spread otherwise, taking out $$$$ in livestock. So all my tanks are isolated from each other - water supply, etc. Anything that touches tank water is disinfected before it touches other tank water. Because of this, I bleach my net, every time I use it. But now, I'm making a Maserati for each tank, dedicated for that tank, to further simplify things and to reduce the number of bleach cycles on a given net. I've searched high and low for the right nets, and found nothing suitable available, so I have to make them to my own specs. The original Maserati taught me netting skills using a fine instrument; unfortunately it was constructed with third world materials and didn't last well.

In other news, the 50 lbs. of chemical goodness did arrive, as did another box of John Guests.

And DK took her nearly daily trip to Lowes, to buy a new set of drill bits, so her Maserati holes would be nice and clean.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #623
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

We interrupt our normal programming for a tour into a world DK finds fascinating. Right up my alley...
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #624
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

i'm still waiting on those dang logos....come on! lets see who won!
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #625
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke View Post
i'm still waiting on those dang logos....come on! lets see who won!
Oh, ALL RIGHT!!!

I haven't had time to input the Inkscape book into the squirrel brain, and I will be doing some very coo-el things to the submitted graphic, but I will say that here are two snippets of the pre-finished final graphic upon which the logo will be based. Am am sorry for the truly too-long development time; I never expected it to drag on this long, but things just keep getting inserted into my schedule!

Our winning artist is ASUKAWASHERE, thank you Asuka for the wonderful contribution!

As you can see, there is a STEAMPUNK influence...

I've tried a piece out in my avatar today, just for fun...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 03-27-2013 at 11:35 AM..
Old 12-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #626
theemptythrone
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I love it!
Shirmpoholics Anonymous member #1
theemptythrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 PM   #627
tetranewbie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

Very nice! Thanks for the explanation as well!
tetranewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 PM   #628
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So... DK's been busy neutering push pins... for the Maserati project.

Anyone wanna guess how they'll be used??

Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #629
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

to hang the nets
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #630
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpnmoss View Post
to hang the nets
Oh ja, you rock, H.