DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 37
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #541
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

The semi was going 100 mph and he survived, he sure is one lucky man. What did he say when you told him about keeping shrimp?
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #542
mountaindew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is a fun thread to follow DK.
Interesting systems you are developing and building. Looks a little like a dialysis system for water column control! Anyway, nothing like some mad science and creativity applied to your passion.
mD
mountaindew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #543
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
The semi was going 100 mph and he survived, he sure is one lucky man. What did he say when you told him about keeping shrimp?
This is probably not true, the forces would have been fatal. Probably, the officer added the relative speeds of the two vehicles to get this number. Two vehicles each traveling at 50 mph hitting head on does not equal a 100 mph collision. Here's a link.

But he did whip out his blackberry and show me pictures of his van - The force somehow blew off the driver's side door and sheared off the steering wheel - he said the air bag exploded BEHIND the car, down the road (I can't figure that one out...).

The front crumple zone was FLAT to about 6 inches but the passenger safety cage was pretty darned intact. Studies show that vans are one of the best vehicles for preserving the driver because the driver sits high, above the crumple zone for the most part.

We got busy talking about rigging sumps and overflows and refugiums, using barrels, custom LED arrays and spectra for coral, emergency backup systems... never really got around to talking livestock much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
This is a fun thread to follow DK.
Interesting systems you are developing and building. Looks a little like a dialysis system for water column control! Anyway, nothing like some mad science and creativity applied to your passion.
mD
It's actually a rig for two different jobs; the wild card in the design is the pump - will it work how I envision, and how strong will it turn out to be? I hedged my bets and bought a ball valve so I can control it, because I think the pump will have more than enough power to run the circuit, perhaps way too much power!

The Sous-vide project has just taken me into the cyber-worlds of home brewing and bio-diesel. In the end, brewers won; I chose their brewing funnel over the hot oil biodiesel funnel - just ordered an 8 inch nylon funnel that I'm going to rig rather like a percolator in my fry daddy, to ensure convection so the water bath is even top to bottom. The fry daddy is doing a great job of holding temps, so I can go with that, I've already learned. Can't wait to try it on some beef, especially normally bad cuts such as round. Wish me luck...
Old 11-08-2011, 10:48 AM   #544
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

In other news...

DK broke her thumb, yesterday. Well, she, and a rubber mallet gone awry, broke it.

She was installing locking casters on a new table for her chop saw, gettin' Western with the caster holder (she wanted the casters tight into the legs) and somehow that mallet missed and hit her thumb. I'm sure I've cracked the distal bone of the thumb, the one under the nail, because the thumb pad is purple and tight and swollen, as happens when bone is cracked and seeping blood.

Fortunately, it's not on my dominant hand.

Owwwwwwwwww. I searched the house in vain last night for oxycontin, vicodin, codeine... anything.... to no avail. Alas, all we stock is aspirin.

I was gonna post today and say I was twiddling my thumbs, waiting for my filter sock to arrive so I can beta test the new contraption, except now I just don't feel like twiddling my thumbs.

Ever try to open one of those Splenda packets with one thumb out of order? Try it...

And here's another question this forced me to ponder: Why is it we have the instinct to put an injury into our mouth and suck on it? That is the second thing I did, after some choice vocabulary...
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #545
ohbaby714
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (118/100%)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wound_licking
ohbaby714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #546
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohbaby714 View Post
EWWWWWWWWWWWW! -- That part about the coach licking the wound of her player... ewwwwwwww!

It wasn't actually licking, but sucking. Yep, I musta sucked my thumb a good several minutes. The sucking actually decreased the pain, because every time I took my thumb out of my mouth, it started to throb anew. Something about either bringing more blood supply to the area, or perhaps the lower pressure on pressure receptors in the skin, or something makes the pain lessen when you suck on a wound...

I can remember sucking my knee when I skinned it, as a kid, come to think of it.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #547
ohbaby714
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (118/100%)

I know, right! lol
Amazing how everything can be find on the internet.
And about the knee thing, i'm getting old cause i can't even come close to licking my knee
ohbaby714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 PM   #548
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

so what happened about this, you found the winning logo promise... I don't believe it.
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #549
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (116/100%)

I recall seeing a something on tv about it and how they identified the protein or whatever it was in saliva that has healing properties and were isolating it to see what they could do with it.
oblongshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #550
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

Feel better!
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #551
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
It wasn't actually licking, but sucking. Yep, I musta sucked my thumb a good several minutes. The sucking actually decreased the pain, because every time I took my thumb out of my mouth, it started to throb anew. Something about either bringing more blood supply to the area, or perhaps the lower pressure on pressure receptors in the skin, or something makes the pain lessen when you suck on a wound...

I can remember sucking my knee when I skinned it, as a kid, come to think of it.
Methinks you should enlist a tankful of Garra rufa to do the sucking for you. Just saying. Though I think they prefer dead/diseased flesh to swollen, inflamed thumbs. Maybe. In any case it would at least be entertaining to try...

I know sucking can help an open wound scab over by bringing more blood (and thus platelets) to the area. I have no idea how that applies to smushed digits.

Anyway, sorry to hear you're hurt and hope you feel better soon!
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM   #552
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Top ten things that are surprisingly hard to do with one thumb out of order:
  1. Tear open a Spenda packet
  2. Open a "resealable" sliced cheese packet
  3. Crack an egg (for us mere mortals who use the two-handed technique)
  4. Shampoo one's head (OK, so you can do this one-handed, or two-handed-one-thumbed, but it just feels so WRONG)
  5. Q-tip out both ears simultaneously
  6. Floss one's teeth
  7. Pull on stretchy lower extremity garments, such as hosiery (oh, yeah, TRY IT)
  8. Clip the fingernails of the GOOD hand
  9. Two-handed CHUCK-IT lob of balls for impossibly active German Shepherds
  10. Fasten a clasp on personal articles of clothing, for example a necklace.
In other news, the 8 inch nylon funnel arrived yesterday, so last night I crept off to the workbench, pulled out the tin snips, scripto lighter, drill press, and special plastics bit and did me a few little "modifications" to the thing, approximating a percolator. (Sous-vide project)

What's the substrate? -- stained glass window I made years ago - that was in with today's pictures as I shot it yesterday, gettin' ready to pawn it on craigslist soon with some others - can't keep everything at the rate I accumulate stuff...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 03-05-2013 at 10:15 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #553
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyke View Post
so what happened about this, you found the winning logo promise... I don't believe it.
I hear ya, I hear ya. I've been fighting with the solar company lately, training them that they will ignore me at their peril (I'm down to a half-day response time, now, from WEEKS response time - we MUST have their system up and running SOON so the powers that be can certify it, or else we lose a LARGE amt of money due to tax consequences by year's end). Just notified of one stroke and TWO deaths in the family, this month. I need a chunk of brain space to do what I want to do with the graphic, learning inkscape from scratch - that is the hangup.

But I hear ya, loud and clear. Thx for the patience.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #554
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

I've decided to give up shrimp-ing and open a super-gourmet restaurant.

I mean, last night I took some rather cheap Costco pork chops and initiated trial 1.001 in DK's "sous-vide" Fry Daddy. Six hours later, we were cutting the garlic-y-greek-sage-cider-vinegar infused slabs with our forks - no knives needed on two inch thick pork chops... when's the last time YOU did that?

And then... because DK MUST try things, I went on to make a pumpkin custard, using the "sous-vide" as a water bath (custards want about 190F for perfection).

Who knew a humble Fry Daddy could catapult one up a social class or two???

Time to dig out the rib rub recipes...

Time to shop for some neoprene closed cell sheeting - gonna make me an insulating jacket for the Fry Daddy.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #555
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
I've decided to give up shrimp-ing and open a super-gourmet restaurant.
Dibs on Rolffe if you're closing up shop! plzkthx

On the other hand, I would miss following your journal of shrimpy madness if you go and be a chef instead. Maybe you can compromise and just cook gourmet food for the shreemps instead... uh huh :P Premium-cut spinach leaves marinated in a cocktail of liquefied green beans with a dash of paprika and oyster calcium, drizzled with a glaze of DKMSJ....
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote