DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 34
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #496
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

New thread I just posted.

As you might surmise, the squirrely-brain is fascinated with many things. I'm known to ponder the technical terms of splotchy-spotty patterns on cute ponies.

But on the other end of the spectrum, this past week I've been morbidly fascinated with: krokodil

Google it. Google images. If you are the most he-man iron-gutted, even Youtube it. But only if you are NOT squeamish.

++++++++++++

In other on-topic news, DK's latest shrimp-y project involves a new love-affair with Glad's Press-N-Seal wrap. I'll let you know if it works.

Oh, and, brand new batch of 2 mm RTs on the glass, this morning.

++++++++++++

And today, I finally learned what the heck my squirrely-brain problem is: Next time someone yells at me in frustration, "What the **** is your PROBLEM?!!!," I can now calmly state, "It's a reduction in short interval cortical inhibition, actually."

And then I'll show them my twitchy fingers...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 09-16-2011 at 09:26 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #497
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Shrimp... spreading the JOY.

So today in the mail I get the nicest surprise. One of our peeps ordered up a batch of DK's Blue Tigers for her mom. Her mom sent me a homemade card and handwritten thank you!

Shrimp... spread the joy, and spread the addiction...

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-25-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #498
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

In other news, today DK did a little "back to school" shopping, courtesy the 'net. I guess it's the shortening daylight that does it. Reminds me of all the years when I had to return to school, after a summer, which in turn entailed returning to learning science, and then returning to the lab. So come fall, I get these cravings for lab stuff.

So, I bought me a few things I've been chewing over for a while: a Fisher Scientific magnetic stirrer (ebay and "best offer" is my friend), a set of pyrex beakers, a magnetic stir bar, and magnetic stir bar retriever.

Mad science, here I come.

DK is NOT good at doing anything of a repetitive nature, so whenever possible she automates. Even down to little things like mixing eye of newt and powdered dragon scale into Magic Shrimp Juice. So now, voila, I put them on the magnetic stirrer, and go have me a latte, instead.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #499
fishtank01
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was reading a post and saw a link to your contest. I thought I would chime in. Hope you like it!
Attached Images

fishtank01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #500
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank01 View Post
I was reading a post and saw a link to your contest. I thought I would chime in. Hope you like it!
Got it! - DK

In other news, I've become insane.

Every so often (OK, actually pretty often) I get obsessed with an idea, and MUST explore it.

Last night I was doing some research, looking at two different topics, seemingly unrelated. I had this eureka moment when I pulled up an obscure link and VOILA, staring me in the face was a solid cross-link between the two topics. So, I haven't even gotten around to much Inkscape, let alone address the heat exchanger project yet, and now have several tanks ready and waiting to be re-set for this winter's projects, when vroooooooooooom, new obsession hits me. So, I already have a full docket of mad science for over the winter. This year's theme: biologically generated water conditioners and micronutrients. I know, I know, I have a compulsion to re-invent the wheel. The thing is, that way I learn stuff. I find it so very hard just to shell out cash for some black box (and almost always overpriced black boxes with proprietary bells and whistles). Plus, it's so very fun to do mad science, and reverse engineer stuff down to a penny on the dollar for proprietary stuff. That is really sporting, doing that....

Tonight I'm cruising Google, when I come across this most lovely item. I mean, she's got pretty green, and red, and blue. And she'll scream if the TDS is above, or below range. And she turns off an injection pump if the TDS for whatever reason rises to a defined threshold.

I know what DK wants for the holidays, this year...

Old 09-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #501
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, so I totally lied. As it happens, my obsession took over and DK declared the holidays NOW.

A quick trip to a big box, a few phone calls to folks on eBay and out on the West Coast at HM Digital, a few hours spent studying schematics, and here we have what is going in about two weeks to become the coo-el-est upgrade yet to DK's Water Factory.

This baby is a triple gang old work electical box, fitted from DK's pile o' parts 'n' pieces with an acrylic lid. This will be mounted onto the Water Factory wall board, and into it will slide the ahhhhhh-mazing TDS controller seen above, with the oh-so-alluring green, red, blue, and yellow twinkling lights (although we hope not to see the yellow ones very often at all, mind you).

This baby will provide real-time monitoring of TDS produced by the Water Factory, which, when calibrated, will enable DK to precisely dial-a-molt. I've been gathering data on what parameters I need to do, but the sensitivity of the Water Factory wasn't where I wanted it, because my readings were delayed. So I'm now going live with TDS monitoring all the time, and I'm also adjusting some globals to enable me much finer granularity in my control. Between the two upgrades, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun this winter!

This unit will also provide a critical back-up fail-safe mechanism for the Water Factory. It will know right away if something is not functioning properly and automatically shut down the system if so. That is actually how I was able to justify it.

This is getting dangerously close to a tiny little homemade pilot plant, hidden away in the basement...

All y'all have no idea how much fun it is, to make water.

We got any process engineers reading??

DK is very excited!

Old 09-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #502
Buff Daddy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

If your projects continue to turn out awesome critters like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3799.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	35193

By all means keep tinkering, DK!

Fluval Ebi Pimp #29
Buff Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 02:11 PM   #503
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, while we're waiting for the lovely in-line TDS controller to arrive, DK has done some other shropping (shrimp-y shopping), amassing a pile of ingredients for her "shrimp super vitamins" project. She has spent embarassingly voluminous amounts of time creaking about the bowels of Google searches, gathering information with which to tinker, this winter.

The ingredients have arrived from all over the globe from human, animal, and ag suppliers, and today I treated myself to this new toy, courtesy of the world of pottery and polymer clay art. (Yet another interesting niche I got to visit, chasing shrimp-y projects.)

It's a small scale extruder that I can put DK's magic vitamin paste into and extrude into, well, shapes, which I then can put into my dehydrator and chunk up into palatable pieces.

I think it will be really fun! (Just think of it as Play-Doh for "adults.")

But perhaps not nearly as fun as watching that in-line TDS controller with all those red, blue, green, and yellow lights... and live feed numbers...

After the TDS controller gets installed, I'm going to change some globals to increase my granularity in the Water Factory.

And then it will be just about time to start thinking about the heat exchanger, again.

Oh, yeah, and as an interesting little side item, because the in-line TDS controller also displays live temperature, and I'll be installing the heat exchanger with a bypass loop, I will be able to see the real efficiency of the heat exchanger!

How coo-el is that?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #504
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Cool stuff, Donna. Those vitamins sound pretty interesting!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #505
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Sometimes, I get onto a theme and just run with it. Yeah. Um. Yeah.

This fall, the theme seems to be control mechanisms to verify steady states.

To that end, we have the TDS controller en route.

Yesterday, I reconfigured the Water Factory for higher granularity of response, installed some ports to flush dead volume better, and launched the new settings on 8 infusions daily, and got my global water streams recalibrated back to within range, manually.

Previously I had been running two infusions, but now I'm monkeying around with more infusions of shorter duration, and wondering how that may affect my need for a heat exchanger (although I have figured out just how I want to configure the heat exchanger if I do make one, and know the sources for all but one of the parts so far).

Having a visual for line temp and TDS got me to thinking that I really DID want to pursue a visual for line pressure, as well. So recently, DK took a virtual trip (I just love visiting alternate niches) to the world of tanker drivers/mechanics and did a little shropping... (Did the guy with the headset make me feel welcome??)

I'll post some pics when all this comes about. Right now, I'm just enjoying the ruminating, ahead of time. Y'know, anticipation is the most delicious part, oft-times.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #506
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Now I know why I procrastinate. Today, while doing not much anything of earth-shattering importance, the EUREKA moment hit me, how to rig the heat exchanger to solve a few problems I had been facing in my design. (The answer was in the toilet, literally.) And not only that, I have the "stuff" around here in my piles o' leftover and surplus bits to do it.

So today I ordered all the parts for the heat exchanger save three which I will pick up at the BORG. (Pexsupply.com, Farmtek.com)

There's going to be a massive re-do of the system when all these parts come in, including installing the TDS controller, pressure gauge, new global solenoid valve and pressure regulator, heat exchange circuit, etc.

I can't wait...

DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-05-2011 at 10:01 AM..
Old 10-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #507
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK's Water Factory is a HOT MESS, now!

TDS controller is installed and monitoring live... heh... heh... heh...

The last of the parts for the heat exchanger should arrive tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:37 PM   #508
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Wow its like you need a PhD in engineering just to look at that picture.
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM   #509
umdterps96
Planted Member

PTrader: (23/100%)

was there ever a winner of the contest?
umdterps96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #510
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

I think that last pic should be your logo.
aelysa is offline   Reply With Quote