DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 33
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #481
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

...And, continuing with our non-sequitur theme of the day... (click the link!!)

However, someday, I'm a gonna integrate the ideas therein, into shrimpkeeping...

...or something else, in my life.

Hey, any of y'alls out there reading actually learning anything here, or producing novel thoughts? We aim to present thought-provoking material. (Everybody should know the difference between Tobiano and Overo, in case you're ever on Jeopardy.)

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 09-11-2011 at 02:52 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #482
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default So, I got lucky...

I'm pretty much a lousy photographer, so the pics you see are the ones I manage to take.

I got lucky just now and one of my favorite T-Rexes came up to the glass, and held still. They are zippy little water monkeys, and hard to get shots of because they just don't hold still.

I really like this one - she's one of my favorites!

(I've flipped the picture upside down because she was hanging.)

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-25-2013 at 04:05 PM..
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #483
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

She's beautiful, Donna!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #484
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Here's another pretty one. This female, and the female in post 482 above are both what I call vintage line black tigers. The original black tigers were developed first from non-blue tigers. Afterward, they were then crossed over into blue tiger lines, in an effort to get a uniformly black shrimp. But before they went over into blue tigers, the vintage line black tigers had some really neat characteristics not seen in the BTOEs (black tiger, orange eyed).

Vintage line have a coppery cast overtone. They also have a reddish or copper tint at the rostrum and tail, unlike BTOEs that have dark pigment in the rostrum and tail (see the others in this picture for that pigment in a dark eyed BT).

Some vintage also have lovely buff accents, such as tips to the tail, crescents along segments on the dorsal line, and buff stippling or accents along the lateral line, and buff segments on the back of the head. They also can have gorgeous banded legs that are very striking. This particular female shows all these characteristics, if you look carefully. I never did get her to turn more sideways for a better picture.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:00 AM   #485
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Wow those are very beautiful. Having never kept shrimp (except amanos) how much would it cost? I am guessing it would also be difficult to care for too.
karatekid14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 AM   #486
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by karatekid14 View Post
Wow those are very beautiful. Having never kept shrimp (except amanos) how much would it cost? I am guessing it would also be difficult to care for too.
I don't really know. These are for development, not for sale, so if you can find any for sale, then I guess it's the law of supply and demand.

++++++++++++++++++

One of the last rounds of T-Rex babies, I got a batch with much more regression - wondering if they may have been Rolffe's crossed with another T-rex or Vintage line. At any rate, for the first time, I have a handful that show a light field with markings on it - even as 4 mm size they looked markedly different than previous batches, so I'm thinking they will mature differently, too.

Here's a pic of one that I can't wait to finish out - looks the closest yet to an Appaloosa style marking. The pigment will develop a tad, but I doubt it's going to spread much toward any convergence, based on how I've seen others develop. They pretty much stay the same pattern, and the edges of the pigment may spread just a tad as they mature, sort of like baby regular tiger shrimp have skinny stripes at first that sort of get a bit meatier as they mature.

I'm very excited about this little guy, and his siblings. TOBIANO!!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #487
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Donna, down the road when you have a larger colony of these guys and if you ever sell them.. let me know!

The OEBT's are doing great by the way. Even saw my first molt this morning!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #488
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And here's a shot showing that lovely buff color detailing in the Vintage line Black Tigers - just love this!

Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #489
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

And here's a sibling (two pics) to the one above in post 486, this time a light field but with heavy freckling, and regressed pattern a bit more suggestive of standard tiger stripes, but still looks like we may end up with broken up chunks caudally in the pattern. These guys are about 1 cm size right now.

I think this guy will finish out to look very similar to the picture of the adults.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #490
disvegas
Planted Member

PTrader: (48/100%)

ur shrimps are awesome looking and i particularly like the t-rex tigers. don't forget to have some sales when u have extras though.

disvegas,
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
And here's a sibling (two pics) to the one above in post 486, this time a light field but with heavy freckling, and regressed pattern a bit more suggestive of standard tiger stripes, but still looks like we may end up with broken up chunks caudally in the pattern. These guys are about 1 cm size right now.

I think this guy will finish out to look very similar to the picture of the adults.

disvegas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #491
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a new Celebrity T-Rex!

Named "ILMHISF" (Lefty, for short)

That stands for: I Left My Heart In San Francisco

Lefty has a freak patch of missing pigment, right where the "heart" would be, over the left "chest." And a slash mark all along the right chest, where the knife went in. She musta been something... Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

Take a look at the freak-o... can't wait until it's mature and I can make comic strips!

Old 09-14-2011, 12:53 AM   #492
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

...And for those of you that think monos (monochromes) are the bees knees, here's a couple shots of some. While my glass is "clean" and my batteries charged and in my camera.

I'm currently in the process of inducing another round of breeding in these guys, after which I will not clean the glass again for a while, so the babies have lots o' slime to pick.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #493
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

A couple pictures of the RT, this morning. I got lucky and caught them just as the lights went on. They are a reclusive specie and nocturnal for the most part, at least so far. The pregnant females are very hard to photograph as they stay hidden, or stay in the shadows if they come out.

So I'm pretty happy I got these shots this morning to show you.

The first is a lousy picture, but good illustration of how I look at a production tank when taking metrics. Those of you who beg me for things behind the scenes know I will not budge in selling livestock until my tank metrics fit my models - this I do with a long term outlook; without the proper metrics to back a breeding population, I won't be able to create the kind of vigorous, broad-based production colonies that enable me to pipeline production, and provide out to hobbyists livestock that will have vigor.

What I see when I look at this picture is a proper spread of production in miniature. Here we have a berried, healthy female, a mature male in the background, a juvie male in the foreground (notice his antennules are not colored up yet like the mature adults), a mid-size pee wee, and a micro-baby. When I eyeball a production tank, I will not pull from it unless the population shows a spread like this. (This tank is developing the spread, but still has some ground to cover on raw numbers, so no, they are not up for sale in the immediate future, sorry. As you can see, though, I am making progress.)

The second picture is fun because she's about to hatch out; you can see the baby eyes.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #494
EKLiu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

Nice!! Can't wait to get some of those red tigers.
EKLiu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #495
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukawashere View Post
My sister has a quarab gelding, though. He's a fleabitten gray (or, as I prefer to describe him, a dirty white horse) named Indigo. I ask you, of all the things to call a pale horse, how did they come up with Indigo?? Every time I visit the menace, he tries to steal my wallet. My sister insists he's just looking for treats in my pocket, but I'm onto their little scheme. She's training the thing to be a darn pickpocket.
I grew up on a farm where my grandfather raised horses for buggy racing. I was violently allergic to horses so unfortunately I never spent much time with the horses other than to tag along as little kid and help whoever was feeding them but one thing I clearly remember is how onery horses are.

Horse breeding, grading and naming is a perfect fit for being applied to shrimp breeding and I can't believe it never dawned on me before.

I am glad that someone else had the foresight to think of it.

Last summer I went up to the Bighorn mountains along the Wyoming/Montana border for the first time in almost twenty years (my grandparents used to live there) and while I didn't have time to go looking for a herd of wild horses we actually had a couple in the road that we got a good look at. The wild varieties in colors and markings in tiger shrimp definitely reminds me of the wild horses.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.