DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 32
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 09-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #466
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

That's is a lot of wires! The new soap dispenser looks good, great job!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #467
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Indeed, 'tis a lovely dispenser. I'm more the "hey, look, the soap bottle comes with a built-in pump thing!" type, myself, but if I were to have a soap dispenser, I would want it to look like that.

And holy &*^$%@! that's a lot of wiring. And Geekery.
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:08 PM   #468
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)
Default Just some pics

First is just what DK considers a beautiful shrimp tank. This happens to be my BSC crystal tank (broke student crystals - low grade).

Second picture is from the black tiger tank - a picture, finally, of an up and coming Appaloosa Tiger - a pattern variant of Black Tigers. I have been very surprised that they are not produced often - mostly the black tigers produce like self with not much degradation back in pattern. So these guys, I have a few of them in the last batch, must have come from a special combination of two vintage style T-Rex's bred together. At any rate, I'm thrilled, as they are one of my favorites. (I need to clean the glass in that tank for more pictures, but right now they are into another breeding cycle and I don't want to disturb them, so that's why my glass is so dirty.)

What fascinates me about the Appaloosa Tigers is that they are sort of pattern throw backs, but one would think that in a pattern throw back in black tigers, the pigment back-off would lead to THINNER stripes. But in the case of the Appaloosas, you get a patchy/chunky pieces and sometimes large irregular SPOTS on the field. This is so fascinating to me!

DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-25-2013 at 03:05 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #469
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Haha nice patch panel.
Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
GDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #470
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Shrimpo View Post
DK,

Update with some more t-rex tiger pictures!
Wasn't ignoring you... well, I was, just temporarily.

I think the thing about taking shrimp pictures is that it frustrates me, because I can never capture what I want. So, I kinda avoid them.

Anyway, I thought I had cleaned my glass, so took some shots.

The theme here is T-Rex and freckles. Some do, some don't. I love texture and variety, so I'm featuring a few shots of T-Rexes with freckles. The third picture is a juvie about 8 mm currently, and I'm very excited about this one because I think I'm going to have a heavily freckled whole field with the T-Rex "bones" overlay. How coo-el is that? Sorry about the bad pics.

I'm thinkin' mebbe I should rename those Appaloosas to "Techtonic Plate" tigers. Because the pigment patches remind me of geography more than spots. Well, at least right now. I know if I keep going in this direction I eventually get more toward Appaloosa, but right now the spots are more like plates.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 AM   #471
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood View Post
I'm thinkin' mebbe I should rename those Appaloosas to "Techtonic Plate" tigers. Because the pigment patches remind me of geography more than spots. Well, at least right now. I know if I keep going in this direction I eventually get more toward Appaloosa, but right now the spots are more like plates.
Maybe call them "Tobiano Tigers" instead? "Tectonic Plate Tigers" is a bit wonky :P "Tobiano" fits with the horse theme you started with "Appaloosa" and rolls off the tongue a bit more easily
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #472
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Great pictures, Donna! I love the t rex tigers. I can't wait for my OEBT's!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #473
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukawashere View Post
Maybe call them "Tobiano Tigers" instead? "Tectonic Plate Tigers" is a bit wonky :P "Tobiano" fits with the horse theme you started with "Appaloosa" and rolls off the tongue a bit more easily
Oh, yeah. Totally. I can never remember which are Tobiano and which are Overo, but Tobiano Tigers sounds coo-el, thanks for the name, and we're off to change it...

Yeah... Tobiano Tigers.

Just for the record, here's a picture that shows further down the spectrum, of color regression - I'm crazy about these patterns and will be trying to get back there. But you can see if you were to further regress the color placement, you might eventually get to Appaloosa.

And BTW, I used to have an Appy. Here's his picture. We used to trail ride the Rockies, up across the Continental Divide. Oh, those were the days...

So, um, I guess y'all can see I've had a predilection for texturey-splotchy-spotty animals from way back...

Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #474
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

tobiano= white crosses over the shoulders, generally have the facial features of a solid colored horse..ie star, snip or strip and leg markings that are mostly white

Overo = white does not cross the back, have wild facial markings such as blaze and high leg markings,ie stockings

You can have a horse that combines the two patterns-thru genetics and this is called a Tovero....and it may exhibit combinations of both above horses....the most common as the horses typically shown in tv as "Indian" horses......mostly white with a chest "shield" of color flank color and a bonnet of color over the ears. Most times these horses will have 1 or both blue eyes.

On a side note my absolute FAVORITE pattern in paints is called a "splashed white". This particular horse is an overo pattern, but the horse looks like it was lifted and then dipped into white paint. Absolutely LOVE it on a bay horse....stunning!!

And to keep this on topic.....I would say your shrimp are overo.....altho they do exhibit tovero coloration in some with the white going over the shoulder..... ;-)
wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #475
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

OK, we'll have to modify once more to Tovero Tigers. I just like the alliteration. I do agree Overo is closer, unfortunately.

Contestants #2 and #4 heads smell of something other than Quarter... almost a bit of Arab or Morgan flavor in the head lines and neck arch... Actually, #4 kinda looks like a warmblood overall. Maybe it's the distribution of the white playing tricks on my eyes, making the legs look a tad thicker...

"Dipped" would be a better description than "splashed" but I guess it's not a flashy enough term. I always did love to stare at a horse's blue eye... the blue is mesmerizing, really.

Thanks for the pics! Now I wish I had a horse, again. I always did want a paint, still do.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #476
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was looking at the middle pic in post #470 when I suggested tobiano (those shrimp have the clear band going up and over the shoulders), but tovero works, too.

Or we could just be a bit more vague and call them "pinto tigers" or "piebald tigers" - but I agree with the alliteration being cooler :P

My personal favorites are the gypsy vanners - they look so cool, with the pinto coloration and the feathers all over the feet and whatnot. Just not a very practical sort of horse to own, nor a particularly affordable one. But very nice to look at.

My sister has a quarab gelding, though. He's a fleabitten gray (or, as I prefer to describe him, a dirty white horse) named Indigo. I ask you, of all the things to call a pale horse, how did they come up with Indigo?? Every time I visit the menace, he tries to steal my wallet. My sister insists he's just looking for treats in my pocket, but I'm onto their little scheme. She's training the thing to be a darn pickpocket.

I like your appaloosa. Very pretty horse. I've always liked any horse with multicolored markings, but there's something about that white with the little brown spots and speckles that's really nice.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM   #477
wrangler
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (35/100%)

I did think of one more possibility......

Sabino.........

This is a pattern within overo.......has the blotching and randomness of ur shrimp!
wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #478
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Hola! That looks like a pinto put through a roan-machine! Or a blurring filter! Coo-el. (Aside: DK's latest madness is she has bought herself an inch-thick 450 page manual to Inkscape, a freeware vector art program, and she's stuffing it into her squirrel-brain, 'cause she wants to play with logo submissions behind the scenes - of course she CANNOT leave well enough alone, she must play!)

WDB, my horse, was a lovely strawberry roan up front. I miss him. My other horsey-color weakness is dapple greys, not too common.

Now, looking up at that pic above of the toward-Appaloosa pattern (in post 473), I do see some "white" over the shoulders, so I think we can declare it's not a cheat to use Tobiano, after all. I just love that word, it rolls around in one's mouth with a lyrical rhythm. So, I think I may indeed go with Tobiano.

That leaves us with the to-date non-sequitur collection of Black Tigers: Monochromes, Broke-Blacks/Scallops, T-Rexes, Tobianos, and maybe someday Appaloosas. Why not. Yeah, why not. All you out there squirming, reading this - - it's because you don't know how to properly chill and have fun, in this very short lifespan.

Oh, and, see, I CANNOT take a non-macro picture, without a German in it.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #479
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Woot I wasn't ignored

Inkscape looks pretty Also, those horses look real cool, but the one wrangler posted has buggy eyes... it looks like its gonna blow a gasket.
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #480
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
My personal favorites are the gypsy vanners - they look so cool, with the pinto coloration and the feathers all over the feet and whatnot.
Owowowow. Just googled, and I think I've died.

Wouldn't a mini-version of one of those make the best seeing eye horse?

Quote:
I was looking at the middle pic in post #470 when I suggested tobiano
I call that pigment fault line the "Hollywood waist"