DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 31
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #451
GDP
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Im more worried about the hurricane. But yeah I have to admit in the back of my mind I was thinking about my tanks lol. Glad your stuff is ok.
Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
GDP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 09:54 PM   #452
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

DK,

Update with some more t-rex tiger pictures!
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #453
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)
Default DK plays with leftovers... and makes a new Neo tank

Yep....so.

While everyone is busy hunkering down for the irate Irene, DK up and decides today to tinker around with leftovers.

So I scrounged through my PILES of leftover shrimp-y stuff (you would not believe how many parts and pieces of stuff I have...) and decided to set up a new Neo tank.

It was rather fun, I had stuff around for the entire setup, and all I had to do was flip a switch on the Water Factory and make me some neo water to fill it, although what I did was run a manual infusion, re-route the used water off some neo tanks (I stirred up the substrate in their tanks to get me a good bacteria load in the used water) and collect it, and, voila, instant, cycled tank. Pretty coo-el.

Nobody even noticed I made a new tank! Complete with a half-basketball sized chunk of moss, donated from an overgrown other tank. Hee hee!

I have one more empty tank sitting in the garage that one of these days I'm going to go after, too, but I'm done for today. The limiting factor is I need to drill it, and I have to get in the "mood" for drilling. At any rate, it's not today...

I'll try to get some pics, maybe later this weekend...

DK
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #454
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Sounds awesome, Greenisgood! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Oh, slight derail, but I finally got the temps to a hood range for my OEBT tank. What do you keep yours at? I can get it as low as 69 degrees now.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #455
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

So, we've been out of power since 8 PM last night, when the howling, whistling winds and driving rains started, and lasted all night. They've largely subsided now and it's just a blustery drizzle and light grey skies, unlike the black cloud cover of last evening.

Fortunately, I live in a house of Geeks - notice the capitalization, we are Geeks in capital letters no less - so emergency preparedness is mostly second nature. We have the shrimp racks routed to the generator circuit, the generator running, and all is smooth, aside from the rather grating noise of the generator. We have gallons - barrels - of water, gasoline, and kerosene stored in out buildings. Big barrels, like 55 gallons. (Craigslist and the pharmaceutical industry nearby are my friends, for great barrels.)

Last night the leakfrogs went a-chirping and there was about a gallon of water on the basement floor under the racks, I think what happened is my sumps cut power before the evening flush finished draining and the sump pit got a bit over-filled. I did note this and re-routed the sump power to the generator circuit today.

I just ate some tasty scrambled eggs cooked on a propane camp stove - the generator watts are well occupied running nearly 30 tanks (they are getting filtration, but no lights or heat right now), fridge, freezer, computers, well pump, and TV. The only half-casualty at the moment is the loaf of honey wheat bread that got half-way through cooking in my breadmaker last night, when the power went out. Bummer! The other Geeks took it out and spread the HALF COOKED BREAD DOUGH on saltines and made mutant "smores" last night; I did not participate in this... eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I am not THAT Geeky... nope.

Later, I dug the leftover dough out of the pan, fired up the gas grill with fire bricks, and we made some pretty darned good grilled pepperoni pizza. Now, I'm off to make some grill peanut butter cookies, on the fire bricks. We have a few hours until dark...

I wonder how our other East Coast hobbyists fared... wishing you well.
________

Update: The grilled peanut butter cookies turned out great! Who knew you can make cookies in a fire brick grill...

DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-29-2011 at 12:08 AM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #456
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

Question. When you do water changes it's automatic right? So is there sponge covering the drains in the tankS? If you have already covered this sorry for asking again but there are pages and pages to read through.
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #457
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Sounds like my house when my the power went out for two days. Generator is so loud and annoying, and you have to put gas in it every 6 hours. But we had to or we would loose thousands in corals..
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #458
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZID ZULANDER View Post
Question. When you do water changes it's automatic right? So is there sponge covering the drains in the tankS? If you have already covered this sorry for asking again but there are pages and pages to read through.
Nope; I do lose an occasional shrimp down the drain, but I balance that against the possibility of overflow with a screened drain - not worth it. I put little video arcades on the substrate that attract the youth like maggots to a corpse, 'cause it's usually the wee ones that have drain adventures... OK, so maybe I lie a little...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gallonplanted View Post
Sounds like my house when my the power went out for two days. Generator is so loud and annoying, and you have to put gas in it every 6 hours. But we had to or we would loose thousands in corals..
Yeah, corals are the most sensitive, IMO, in a power outtage - thing is you really need to run the lights too, for them. Between the cost per square inch and their sensitivity, I just don't go there...

---------------

Power's still out. The new "wives" I put into the brand new Neo tank on the first night have fared without a hiccup - DK's busy settin' up several polygamist shrimp cults this fall...

Old 08-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #459
ZID ZULANDER
Shrimp Crazy

PTrader: (125/100%)

Thanks for the information...
Canon Pimp Club #005
ZID ZULANDER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #460
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Yeah its kind of funny how all the power from the generator went to tanks. It was still stressful even with the generator because it was still hot and trying to keep the tanks cool was a pain.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #461
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Man, am I wiped.

Coming off the hurricane, getting everything back to normal, I decided since the system was sort of down due to the hurricane that I would quit procrastinating and fix a few fundamentals in the Water Factory that were bugging me - I had some pressure differentials I did not like and attributed them to placement of small check valves, so I re-plumbed the manifolds up to the highest point and removed all the check valves to each rack. This involved re-plumbing every last line. And then taking a day to tune it all and run tests.

Then, got more ants-in-the-pants and decided now is the time to fix a bunch of things around the homestead, before import goods jump up in price. So the past two days, I've installed a new kitchen faucet and sink-mounted soap pump, installed a new bowed shower curtain rod and shower head, and installed new bathroom light fixtures into three bathrooms (The original ones were very cheap but got the job done when we originally built the house, but now we are systematically converting every possible thing to more energy efficient types.) So four fixtures later, I'm very tired.

In the process, the other Geek arrived home from one of many trips to the BORG with the most he-man Milwaukee half-inch hammer drill. This thing is so he-man and heavy that you cannot use it one-handed, it has a second lever to hold to manage the weight and torque on your trigger hand. I mean, you'd have to have a body builder's arm to heft this (seven-plus-pounds) thing one-handed, which of course I do not. I once cracked a finger while using a hole-hawg, so I have ample respect for high-torque drills, and this thing sorta scares me. Variable speed, but crap if you slip on the trigger that sucker goes FAST - like jet engine fast - and it has the torque to do some damage (well, ok I was thinking this as I drilled my stainless kitchen sink for the soap dispenser hole - that was fun because it was enlarging a 1 1/8 inch hole to a 1 1/2 inch hole - not fun, as a virgin hole is MUCH easier than an enlargement where you cannot place a pilot bit)

I did manage to clean the glass on about ten tanks today, but still haven't finished the cycle of getting the batteries charged and INTO my camera, for taking pictures. Been busy.

DK
Old 09-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #462
spyke
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

lo-go, lo-go, lo-go!
spyke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #463
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

Sounds like a busy day. Man, that drill looks beastly!

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 AM   #464
asukawashere
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Ack, I know how you feel DK. We just got power back yesterday, and internet only a couple of hours ago. I've got a week's backlog of internet stuffs to sort through and haven't slept well in days thanks to the steady, grating thrum of motor noises from the generator. But, at least I didn't have many losses - 1 mosura CRS, 1 macro rosenbergii, and a handful of malawa shrimp. Life goes on.

Unlike your unbridled geekery, though (which I still envy, naturally), I spent several of my many hours of boredom performing hard manual labor. Painting the basement floor (or, rather, the half of the basement floor the fishroom isn't on), moving large pieces of furniture, pondering the dismantlement of the 80-foot hickory tree that's down in our driveway (fortunately, no garages or motor vehicles were damaged in this event), and so on.

On the other hand, my shrimp all decided that this was the week to have a gazillion kids. I have new shrimplets/craybabies in a half dozen tanks... which, while entertaining in the sense that I spent untold hours trying to count them (not like there was much else to do) and I like shrimplets a lot, but a bit nerve wracking in that we were running on generator power and my shrimp go making fragile bitty shrimps left and right. o_O'

What on earth are you going to do with the monster hammer drill? Break apart the better part of a cliff face?
asukawashere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #465
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Scenes from the Geekery

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukawashere View Post
...pondering the dismantlement of the 80-foot hickory tree that's down in our driveway ...

...What on earth are you going to do with the monster hammer drill? Break apart the better part of a cliff face?
Wow, that was a LONG time to exist on generator! Congrats on your success on that!

On the hickory tree: I've posted ads on craigslist, under their "free" section, my ad aimed at artisans and woodworkers - you'd be surprised what responses you may get from these types, looking for material to work with... and these types have tools... and trailers... (Plus, if you're going to lose a beautiful hardwood tree, it's great to try to give that gorgeous wood a second life as some beautiful artistic object - this was my thinking when a walnut tree of ours died a few years ago.)

Yeah, um. The drill. Well, when I started to drill the sink deck hole with the old drill, it had been gradually dying, having been rode hard and put away wet many years and through the construction of our house and all the Geeky projects thereof afterwards in succeeding years. It was time. But I didn't choose the drill, it just showed up attached to the other Geek's hand, after a trip to the BORG. I actually asked this same question - why do we need THIS MUCH drill? The answer: "Well, you just never know what we may want to do, in the future..." (I will admit here that I personally do use the hammer feature on not a rare occasion... of course this is a household that thinks nothing of punching a few more tapcon holes onto the cinderblock for x, y, or z project.)

So later last night I announced I foresee a new CORDLESS drill in our stable, since now I can't just grab the corded drill and plunk a few holes with it - now the corded drill is a major undertaking. The cordLESS drill is just about to go, too. We use our tools a lot around here.

So what did the other Geek say?

OK, so when we bought the faucet at BORG, there was a sign on the shelf that said BORG does faucet installations, starting at $169.... (...and surely it would have been an extra charge for the soap dispenser install, and again for the HOLE for the soap dispenser install... not that we would ever hire these things done...)

Yeah, you guessed it. "The drill was paid for by what we saved on the install..."

Geek logic, gotta love it!

Here's a few shots of the Geekery taken just now, I did put the batteries in the camera, this morning! See all those wires?? WE did them, not an electician. We did. One. By. One.

Oh, and see the soap dispenser? A very nice CAST BRASS, CHROMED unit by Koehler - not a chromo-plastic fake. It was $20 more to get one that is METAL, over plastic, and I thought that was well worth it, considering I'm drilling a HOLE into my sink deck for the thing... When my geeky hands are dirty and I slam down on the thing to get me some soap, I won't be worrying about breaking it.

DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-25-2013 at 04:05 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.