DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #211
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

(I moved this picture into a post on the previous page so you can see them on the same page. Yeah... um...yeah... DK's ongoing reseach on water...)

Old 04-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #212
Hobbes1911
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Very nice work. I like how you employ the scientific method so closely. I am eager to see further progress. Keep up the good work.
Hobbes1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #213
Chucker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just skimmed the first page and last five of this thread. Wow. Truly a mad scientist at work!

Funny how much I have in common with the posters. I live 90 minutes E of the Falls, and have fished the Niagara Bar where the river meets the lake. I'm in the medical device industry on the QA/RA side, so I'm all over the documentation thing. Micropipettes bring back memories of undergrad work for bio and chem.

Keep on breedin'!
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #214
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucker View Post
...Micropipettes bring back memories of undergrad work for bio and chem...
Wow, in my undergrad we didn't HAVE micropipettors to use in student labs (those were for grown-ups) - just the old-fashioned glass ones with bulbs, that we afterwards had to rinse in acetone to clean and dry. Nowadays I doubt they'd do that as the VOC content is considered.

I have such vivid visuals of Niagara built into my brain, now. It's one of those sights that you have to see in real life, to get the sense of the sheer amount and power of water, ENDLESSLY plunging over that edge. I'm kind of glad we went when it was icy, as that was coo-el to see that way, although we missed a few things due to being pre-season. (Hiking the parks, night light scene, IMAX movie).

Down by the Horseshoe falls edge, the buildings near there had their windows trembling from the force of the falls, rumbling the rock base always. My mad scientist mind always goes a little mad-der trying to figure out how the heck they engineer and build things, such as that wall right next to the horseshoe falls. Before it was there, and they were constructing all that wall and walkway, what if some worker slipped and fell in...??!! I simply cannot imagine anyone wanting to ride over those falls in a barrel or boat or anything -- you'd have to be suicidal. Fluid dynamics in real life, in large scale...

It happens that, as a mad scientist, I see most everything as related, so I was originally going to mention this as totally OT, but actually, it's applied microbiology, so here goes:

DK's latest project is making Greek Yogurt. Break down skim milk proteins at near boiling temps, cool to innoculation temperature, innoculate with culture, incubate in handy convection oven at bread raising setting (100F) 6+ hours. It's so surreal to watch that stuff congeal over the hours, and the yogurt separate from the whey. After incubation, you filter out the liquid whey overnight, and the next day you have unbelievably thick, rich greek yogurt that is AH-MAZING. It's thicker than sour cream and just as rich, minus any fat. If I didn't make it myself, I'd have thought they were lying about it being fat-free and that good. Try doing this spoon trick with normal yogurt - NOT. This stuff is seriously thick. It kinda blows my mind how you can covert a liquid to a solid via organisms. The properties of proteins are so interesting, how they can covert from liquid, soluble, translucent things, into solid, opaque things, sort of like when you fry an egg. All by folding or unfolding a chain of amino acids. Biology is coo-el.

On things shrimp-y:

I'm about to do one of the final larger phases of my automation expansion. I'll be converting over to a manifold system of distribution in the next month or so. So today, I'm shropping...

Last week's madness included making a batch of these dial-a-tank thingys, that will be mounted under each tank so DK can lazily eyeball the conditions feeding into that tank, and the water exchange ratio being used. That little project took me shropping to the ticket collectors world (for the rigid PVC slider envelope that these slide into and that are magnetically attached to my steel shelves - can you say "groupie??"), to online sewing store (for the clear plastic snaps), and using my already-had laminator.

Finally, before someone screams I'm so OT all the time - a picture yesterday of the blue bees, just because that's what I took yesterday. (Well, actually, I grabbed the camera and shot them because I was so intrigued that the whole tank of them went from latte brown to pepper black after I tweaked their water a few days ago.)

(But here's the thing: in mad science, what one does and learns in one realm eventually becomes the basis for doing something in the shrimp-y realm. It's only a matter of time before the yogurt making or other OT stuff becomes relevant to something I end up doing for the shrimp. Just you watch...)

DK

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-27-2012 at 01:51 PM..
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 AM   #215
aelysa
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

To be more OT but not OT, my husband says that my mind is like a squirrel that can't find the correct hole to stash the acorn. This same squirrel has also ingested a lot of soda.
However, I think yours is just an ultra fast squirrel. All this takes a lot of follow through! Squirrel on crack!
aelysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #216
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default Hot off the presses

...From two beginner shrimp keepers who were scared to death to get DK's BTs. These pictures were in my email this morning.

With a little guidance...this too can be you!

Knowledge is power.
Todd's email snippet:
Ok, on to the subject of the email. Remember when you asked, "The driving purpose of this 20 tank is"? Remember my answer?

The driving purpose of the 20L is:
To make the next OE's you send me say, " When did she rearrange the tank?" Ok, really, for them to live out their full lives, would make me happy and be a good first step. I'd scream like a little girl if they decided to raise some kids.

See pic's 2089-2103 ;P

The question I have for you is, IF there are babies and they make it to teenagers you have a option's of, a video of my choice (youtube?) with a little girl screaming, a video of me screaming like a little girl, or " Thanks, but PLEASE don't!". I need to practice if you choose option #2.
(Are you watching, Don and Todd?? - - and Todd: NUMBER 2, and you post the link HERE in the thread BWAHAHAHAH!! And, Todd, inquiring minds want to know: Is one of your arms much larger than the other? Todd's profession involves holding about a dozen leashes with about half a ton of dog at the end in one hand...)

Congrats to you both... I can retire soon!

(Meanwhile... DK twiddles her thumbs while her custom manifold is being made...)

DK

DK says: "Growing shrimp is fun. Growing shrimpkeepers is fun, too!"

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-27-2012 at 01:51 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 07:46 PM   #217
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Todd said in his email, and I quote:

Just so you know, you are welcome to do whatever with any pictures I send you.
Well, OK then.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 02-11-2013 at 10:44 PM..
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #218
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

^ROFLMAO!!^ I hate that dress.

Quote:
Knowledge is power.
"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."-Dalai Lama
Great, now you're an Immortal Mad Scientist. No retirement for you.

Quote:
With a little guidance...this too can be you!
Made easier by a great teacher!!

Quote:
Just so you know, you are welcome to do whatever with any pictures I send you.
You forgot the rest of that paragraph.

Quote:
Is one of your arms much larger than the other?
No, I switch hands.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, back to the mad doin's.

Quote:
(Meanwhile... DK twiddles her thumbs while her custom manifold is being made...)
Can wait to learn more and see pic's.

Quote:
Finally, before someone screams I'm so OT all the time - a picture yesterday of the blue bees, just because that's what I took yesterday. (Well, actually, I grabbed the camera and shot them because I was so intrigued that the whole tank of them went from latte brown to pepper black after I tweaked their water a few days ago.)
What did you tweak? Still that color?
Old 04-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #219
deleted_user_8
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DK= TPT's true shrimp "expert"!
deleted_user_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #220
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Donna, you need the neighborhood semi-pro to come in a YouTube your tanks. I'd be temped to mount LCD screens inside tanks, run your videos, and save myself a lot of grief.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #221
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Uhhhhhhhh... can somebody interpret that last post of Don's for me? I'm just not putting together those words into a meaning I understand. What is he saying?

Todd - the blue bees are holding. I tweaked their carbonate levels, decreasing it. I had been running a carbonate study on them, seeing the effects. Here's a pic I just took, same tank.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #222
Da Plant Man
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)

Very cool! I am planning a 20g low, or 12g rimless tank to keep shrimp. I am thinking of having a single genus of plant in the tank, I thought it would look cool.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Da Plant Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 AM   #223
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sometimes I edit as if I need Clariton. I edited my post to clarify the suggestion that Donna get her tanks up on YouTube.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #224
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Default My best friend Bubba

Hey Don -

In order to clear the brain and attempt to realize your full squirrel-like potential (see aelysa's post, above), as I do, you need one of these:

DK's FOURTH 34 ounce Bubba Mug for caffeinated beverages. (Yeah, I've gone through three of them already, and just got this one a week ago at - of all places - Lowes, in the plumbing department!!!! - Well, technically it was on an end cap with a display of styro-coolers and such.) We can't be messing around with 8 ounces, or 16, 17, 20, or lesser portions. This lovely libation holder fits in the auto cup holder. People who have visited me in real life know this baby is nearly surgically attached to my hand.

Problem is, it's terribly top heavy and tip-prone. So I just solve that problem with a handy-dandy base made of a 3 inch Sch 40 PVC coupler. A little lateral thinking, to get to that solution.

DK

Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #225
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (331/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

That is great. I suggest offering this desktop solution to the manufacturer. You'd make a fortune :^)

-Gordon
gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote