DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 125
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-07-2014, 06:06 PM   #1861
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

I'm guessing you created another new strain of cool shrimp????
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 02:17 PM   #1862
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
thats awesome. looks like things are comming together
See below, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
DK you know we need more info, we're half starved on shockers like a NEW development from you.

I barely get on here anymore due to work, and yet I seem to find the time at least 3-5 times a month to check your thread.
Well, shrimp have taught me two things WELL. Patience. And humility. We are trying to practice both, at the moment. I kinda shoulda kept my mouth shut until said specimen reaches maturity - DK just lost her head and spouted off in excitement the other day.

This particular shrimp needs to mature out, so DK is sure what she got. She'll explain later when she shows said shrimp, someday. She thinks there are some co-dominant genetics at work, but maturity will sorta clarify that, hopefully.

She WILL say that for the past two days she's been watching that tank, waiting for INCREDIBLE to appear, again, and thinking she imagined it, because she saw something else not quite as good but still pretty coo-el cooking in that tank, and she WILL tell you what these SECOND TIER COOL new guys are:

golden eyed blue tigers with RED stripes and blue bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
I'm guessing you created another new strain of cool shrimp????
Not sure on the semantics of "new strain" but a new color combination for DK, or a few of them, actually.

DK does NOT terrorize tanks in breeding mode, particularly concept or development tanks, so she has to wait for these guys to grow out and get big enough for up-front-by-the-glass pictures, and they hafta be sorta big for her as she's a totally lousy photographer.

So you'll have to take her word on it.

Below, her latest keeshin progress. Her retail-store-fixtures pot rack with a whopping TWENTY FOUR industrial-strength hooks. She's still beta testing it and may put it higher. You can do that when you make it yersef. You can do anything you want, when you make it yersef.

And the past two days her new power strips came in and she installed them. They look deceptively simple. But take a look at that LEETLE inch or so of yellow Romex going into the wall, behind that tile. She had to fish that feed up through an INSULATED wall and come out in a teeny hole she made in the tile wall. The jury's still out on whether she'll rip those cheapo fluorescent fixtures out that she got on clearance somewhere years ago and put in LED strips, but that is on the back burner for now. She's kinda tired, and the fluorescents work just fine, they are just not as coo-el as LEDs.

Tonight, she once again pops the cooktop and kitchen sink (which currently is packaging-taped into place on the counter top deck, however the plumbing below it has had an elegant upgrade) for THE CREW.

Attached Images

Old 01-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #1863
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Oh, yes, and last night Other Geek was laughing at DK, saying, "How many people do you know who will have a chromed alternator bracket in their kitchen, let alone TWO of them??!"

DK's a-gonna have two of them, in her new keeshin.

Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #1864
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Here's a bone for you, Maechael.

right now about 1 cm so color's still coming in.

For comparison, the other picture is of a normal red tiger shrimp at about the same age. You can see at this age/size the pigment density of the stripes is still underdevelopment, and you can clearly see the blue pigment and gold eyes but red stripes on Tier Two Coo-el-ie.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5722.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	257337  

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	257345  

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #1865
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

that is a cool cross dk, cant wait to see what comes of those shrimp.

im guessing you found your paper towel holder huh lol. auto parts work wonders for things other than auto's hehehe. so do clothes racks lol
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #1866
Maechael
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

DK those look Amazing, Can't wait to see the full line if they hold true and breed for you. It seems like the shrimp you keep are just amazing compared to anything I see around me.

I see nice in my area, and I see amazing in this thread.

~George Orwell~

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

~Charles Darwin~
Maechael is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 04:39 PM   #1867
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
that is a cool cross dk, cant wait to see what comes of those shrimp.

im guessing you found your paper towel holder huh lol. auto parts work wonders for things other than auto's hehehe. so do clothes racks lol
Actually, no, they are part of the plumbing schematic (Can you find them in the pic, below?? heh heh. Don't mind the rough looking bar counter, DK has made a recent trip to a certain Amish shop where she is a-gettin' sumpin' fabricated by the Amish.). Still need the paper towel holder, although I do have something I am considering using - an old pair of ice tongs I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maechael View Post
DK those look Amazing, Can't wait to see the full line if they hold true and breed for you. It seems like the shrimp you keep are just amazing compared to anything I see around me.

I see nice in my area, and I see amazing in this thread.
Yeah, it's a fun project. DK's been running a number of mad projects the past year or two that she hasn't published much about. She was wanting to focus on the fundamentals of her automation system, and they (the breeding projects, that is) were just background stuff going on at the time. Now, she has her system dialed in pretty well and can increase the focus on the projects. Well, after she gets the household projects better underway, that is. She is in the THICK of them for the next month or two (the household projects, that is):

Yesterday she became an inadvertent cooktop technician. She was trying to remove and replace the gasket on her cooktop and had it upside down and was goo-be-gone-ing the gasket.

Problem was, the tempered glass cooktop surface is DIMPLED on the bottom, where the gasket is attached.

So, that **** glass sucked the goo-be-gone across those dimples, into the cooktop itself.

DK was not wanting goo-be-gone residue inside her cooktop box, as it contains some solvents. Solvents and a heat source inside a closed container are not such a good idea, she believes.

So, she went to take the cooktop lid off, upside down due to the goo be gone, and when she lifted the box...

...well, all sorts of parts came apart in the upside down configuration.

So, she hadda learn cooktop anatomy and physiology on the fly.

In the process, she cleaned a haze off the inside of her tempered glass, too, and then put all back in order.

And then, she did a full kitchen sink plumb job, from mounting new drains onto the sink, mounting the new sink into the counter, and plumbing up the MOTHER of all faucets, two soap dispensers, and a hot water dispenser into the deck. (That ain't no big box knock off faucet, she's custom made of all professional componentry and stands nearly three feet up from the deck, and BLASTS out water from the pre-rinse head - you just gotta feel her to appreciate the difference.)

She is really, really tired, today.

But has a kickin' new kitchen sink setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5745.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	335.9 KB
ID:	260546  

Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #1868
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Looks like we never know enough there are always so many new things to be learned.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #1869
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Plamen! I was just thinking of you this morning, as I was staring at these:

(PM me your questions, I'll see what I can answer, in response to your PM.)

Attached Images

Old 01-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #1870
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

what are you doing with hanger markers lol. yes i worked in retail for a few years hehe. love the idea of ice tongs its awesome. and love the sink looks really good
Old 01-16-2014, 03:54 AM   #1871
Loachutus
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have kitchen sink envy!! You need one of these, http://www.autochlor.net/ , and you're set.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:50 PM   #1872
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK is barely remembering to feed her tanks, lately. So busy doing construction projects, flipping back and forth between being a finish carpenter, plumber, electrician, tile setter, and grunt.

This past week, she dug out from her hoarding stores an old cabinet that had been taken out of her keeshin about ten years ago. She couldn't bear to get rid of it, because it matched her cabinets, and... well... ya just never know when you might need sumpin' matching, someday. And also 'cause she's a hoarder. Hoarders don't get rid of stuff that might be useful, someday.

Good thing.

She robbed the doors off the cabinet, and a-went to her local Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, for the first time.

Dangerous. Like dropping a crack addict off at a drug den.

She unhinged her lower jaw and started drooling, shuffling through the re-store, hoping to find a cabinet from some picky chick who HAD to rip out her "eighties golden oak" cabinets in favor of a kitchen re-do in ALL WHITE.

But, alas, not a single suitable golden oak cabinet was to be found.

DK then resigned herself just to the fun of sifting through the store, when she turned a bend, and

.... lo, and behold...

... there it was.

A whole aisle. No TWO whole aisles of now formerly dormitory desks.

Solid, and she means SOLID oak builds. Not a wafer of veneer on them. Solid 3/4 inch plank oak, they were.

In the EXACT golden oak finish she was searching for.

The Holy Grail.

For a mere thirty bucks.

She put in an emergency call to one of her peeps with a truck, and got herself a desk. Said peep later was so impressed they RETURNED with the truck and got themself TWO of these solid oak desks.

So, here is a picture of one of them.

She HATED to dismantle it. But she HAD to. But it was worth the dismantling job, and as a side bonus, she took the three-drawer unit and used the side leg wall to the left of the desk as a new top for just the drawer unit, to make her a sheet music cabinet. That was a total bonus.

But for the parts she needed, for her primary project, she took the pencil drawer and the desk top.

And it was good.

What DID she do with the desk parts? Hmmm.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 01-29-2014 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2014, 02:18 AM   #1873
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

cutting board or island top hehehe. great to hear from you again cant wait to see the keeshin
Old 02-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #1874
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loachutus View Post
I have kitchen sink envy!! You need one of these, http://www.autochlor.net/ , and you're set.
Yeah, I do, but not a-gonna get one. What I DID get is a new dish draining system, see below, you might recognize it.

Quote:
cutting board or island top hehehe. great to hear from you again cant wait to see the keeshin
Good ideas, but what I actually did make, see pics: (Ya might recognize the drawer slide, left over from DK's ASAslider shrimp project.)

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK is in discussions with Shrimptern 3.0 about a visit this month. Heh heh heh...

Attached Images

Old 02-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #1875
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i wish i had your brain dk, looks great

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.