DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 122
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 10-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #1816
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

are you redoing a bathroom? i hear you on the bursitis probs. ive got osteoarthritis in both shoulders already and it flares some times. and then my keens have issues on their own. feel better chick. have you tried aleve. i found it helped more the motrin
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #1817
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

I always liked that 65 gallon, Did you include all of the crystals too? I'm sure you already have a grand plan for that space. I have found that Lowe's or Amazon is good for cheap tile, but the cheap tile isn't as fancy as the attachments you included. Rest up, injuries are never fun.
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #1818
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
are you redoing a bathroom? i hear you on the bursitis probs. ive got osteoarthritis in both shoulders already and it flares some times. and then my keens have issues on their own. feel better chick. have you tried aleve. i found it helped more the motrin
Keeshin. Doin' a leetle keeshin project. I'll post as I get it going. Waiting for parts to arrive, to do the layout.

I do have a bathroom re-do project, though. We had some bathroom drama last week, just before the shoulder went out. Mebbe that's part of what happened to my shoulder, actually.

DK loves old stuff - good thing, 'cause she herself feels like she's gettin' old. So when we built this house, we collected parts a few years ahead of time. DK found this really great antique dresser mirror in the upstairs of an antique barn and snagged it for $25. It's been the powder room mirror, over a retro pedestal sink.

Well, you know how one thing leads to another. Recently, she got the throne. She did some finish re-conditioning on the throne, which started off a whole slew of "let's go through the house and recondition any antique that needs it" activity.

The powder room mirror got re-conditioned.

OK.

So, we go to re-hang it. The thing is 1/4 inch plate glass, beveled, in a 2 inch + oak frame - OK, so it's HEAVY for it size. They don't make stuff like they used to... It has been hanging from a cable, all these years.

We re-hang it, DK notices a strand has sprung from the cable. She thinks in the back of her mind, "hm, mebbe I should replace the cable..." but then, being lazy, thinks, "hm, nope, most of the cable looks ok."

Well, she's standing there looking at that mirror, JUST after we re-hung it, and - YEP, YOU GUESSED IT - that darned cable snaps. Down crashes the mirror, hitting a GLASS shelf below it, then the porcelain toothbrush dish off to the side that is wall-mounted. Then, it lands on the faucet, bending the faucet, and then it bounces off the pedestal sink basin, breaking the porcelain of the pedestal base.

DK just manages to catch the mirror, before it bounces off the basin and lands on the floor, shattering. So, we avoid the shattering. The mirror is saved.

The mirror has ripped the wall anchors clear out of the wall for the glass shelf and toothbrush holder. The sink pedestal is busted and faucet spout bent.

NOW, her shoulder completely blows out.

So, the mirror is sitting on the floor, still, because she cannot even screw in the new heavy duty picture hanger hardware, one-armed.

So, all she can do is shop yeebey for tile parts, using one hand on the keyboard. The powder room has to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
I always liked that 65 gallon, Did you include all of the crystals too? I'm sure you already have a grand plan for that space. I have found that Lowe's or Amazon is good for cheap tile, but the cheap tile isn't as fancy as the attachments you included. Rest up, injuries are never fun.
No, DK had turned off breeding in that tank months ago, getting ready to move them. They are currently - STILL - in a 5 gallon bucket. She just doesn't feel like doing anything down there with one arm, and the other hurtin' like ****.

How're the yellows doing?

NOTE: The German Shepherd nose smears on the mirror. Sheesh!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5398.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	226625  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 10-24-2013 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #1819
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Oops, it double posted.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #1820
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

wow that is one heave mirror. beautiful though. guess i was kinda right about the bathroom lol
Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 PM   #1821
TankYouVeryMuch
[Shrimpoholic]

PTrader: (27/100%)

I dont know whats going on here.. but I like it. lol. ive seen some random things thrown about haha.

I will have to jump around some more before further commenting, but at least now I will be able to find myself in here...
TankYouVeryMuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #1822
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

DK's now got about 25 degrees range of movement in her shoulder. Not enough to do anything useful. So, she's studying. That takes only fingers, and eyes, not so much arms.

She's studious.

Here's what she's studying.

While she plans a beeeg new project. For when her arm works, and after she finishes cleaning up the Shrimporium from shedding the BSC 65 lid levitation tank.

She's thinkin' about eatin' off the floor.

Does she have the gnarlies to take a circular saw to her kitchen bar? Hm.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #1823
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

One wouldn't think a blown out shoulder would also take out the brain, but it seems it does.

DK's hot on the trail of her project, went to Lowes for parts, and for some reason when she needed 12, she bought 10. Got home, short. Durn.

Too lazy to go back to Lowes and get two more, for 44 cents. So, being classy like she is, she made her own fix.

See.

But not to worry, it's hidden behind the sorta new coffee maker.

She never watches TV, but imagine how much MORE classy she could make things, if she watched some of those reality shows like Honey Boo Boo. Or the swamp or hunting guys. Or maybe the survivalists, she has seen one of those shows, in between the commercials.

Nice. It really matches the busted pedestal sink well, don't you think?

And to show you what a really classy upgrade it is, the last picture is the before pic. Yeah. Nice.

Attached Images

Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #1824
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKShrimporium View Post
How're the yellows doing?

Well, I must deliver bad news about the yellows. I tired to keep the colony going but I don't have a fancy water-change system like yourself. And maybe I could have done a few more water changes but the colony slowly petered out. The last Shrimp, a female, who was one of the first babies to survive perished around mid Sept. The tank sat empty for a while till I tried to put some fish in there, a few weeks ago. I lost a few Cardinals and a Betta pretty quick. I thought the tank was toxic. So I ran the tests, and everything was fine, even low nitrates! The good news is that the Bolbitis you gave me is doing very well, and is taking over. You are the only person I know who can keep shrimp alive in a bucket.
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:57 AM   #1825
Forumsnow
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
Well, I must deliver bad news about the yellows. I tired to keep the colony going but I don't have a fancy water-change system like yourself. And maybe I could have done a few more water changes but the colony slowly petered out. The last Shrimp, a female, who was one of the first babies to survive perished around mid Sept. The tank sat empty for a while till I tried to put some fish in there, a few weeks ago. I lost a few Cardinals and a Betta pretty quick. I thought the tank was toxic. So I ran the tests, and everything was fine, even low nitrates! The good news is that the Bolbitis you gave me is doing very well, and is taking over. You are the only person I know who can keep shrimp alive in a bucket.
I kept 7(2 berried) royal blue tigers and about 60-70 oebt alive in a 5 gallon bucket for 2 weeks. Then flew them across the country and put them all into a totally uncycled 10 gallon. Didnt lose a one and have probably 40 royal blue babies.
Forumsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:37 PM   #1826
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

It's seems off topic, but, really DK's shrimp work is having a lot of influence on this project. More on that later. For now, DK ran across this picture, on yeebey.

Now, if you were the vendor selling them thar's tiles in the backsplash (note: the vendor sells the rooster mural SEPARATE from all those vintage coffee tiles), would you use this customer photo as promotional? Aside from the fact that it's blurry, and has other technical issues such as a strange light source imparting pinkish light onto the frame (DK's guessing there's a skylight above with a craigslist stained glass window mounted in it, imparting the pinkish light, whaddya think??), I mean, just LOOK at what's in this picture!

Just sayin'.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tasteless.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	229754  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 11-02-2013 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 11-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #1827
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimp help DK remodel her kitchen.

DK's wondering whether she should post the kitchen remodel here, as an example of what shrimp keeping has taught her over the years. There's a whole long essay in the stewing, about how keeping shrimp has re-trained DK's thinking, illustrated beautifully by the upcoming project, and planning thereof.

D'y'all want the re-model posts, or shall she just go off and re-do her kitchen, and leave this thread for "shrimp only" projects (she puts it in quotes, because DK believes all projects end up relating to each other, in the end, so there is no such thing in her mind as an unrelated topic).

At any rate, it's gonna be a really fun project, over a decade in the making.

If'n ya wanna see the project, then she'll post the "before" pictures next, with a list of the problems she's a-tryin' to fix, on the cheap and using DIY.

Place yer vote.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #1828
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

cant wait to see the kitchen now
Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #1829
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Little bit more knowledge won’t hurt.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #1830
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Well, DK took a look at a few "before" shots, and sorta had a panic attack. So, she was a-gonna clean up her kitchen and RE-SHOOT them, but - hey, what's that over there?

Yeah, she got sidetracked into de-bulking one cabinet in particular (a major sub-project within this overall project, it is), and then more sidetracked painting some transom windows, to see the paint color.

So then she thought long and hard whether she wanted to subject you to her messy photos that were not planned for public consumption.

But, heck, she's trying to problem solve and plan and construct about twenty things in her mind right now, and cleaning up a space JUST for a pretty photo is just not floating to the top of the priority list. Especially since she started pinging contractors and ordering custom parts, already. She's ready to roll on her project. (Don't get too excited about the contractors and custom parts bit, this project is NOT going to conclude with a magazine-grade kitchen; this is more of a salvage project than dream kitchen project. However, DK is grinding ALL the gears in her brain to make the most of what she has to work with, including a pretty modest budget.)

Now, we have to take some philosophy into account here to understand this project in context.

DK and Other Geek built (as in with their own two hands) this house as young adults, in their 20s. We did have a general contractor, but anything we possibly could do ourselves, we did. Which brought our house cost down by nearly half of what it would have been. We both quit our jobs, moved in with Other Geek's parents, and commuted nearly an hour, dragging a 16 foot flatbed trailer full of tools and supplies, out to our land, to work on our house, full time, until it was done, every day. Here, I must again remember with amazing gratitude Other Geek's amazing mom, who had a full hot dinner awaiting us every night, when we stumbled back to their house dog tired, dirty, full bladdered, and starving. For the months and months we did this. I will add here that DK believes in balance in relationships, so the payback here was that directly after we moved into our brand new house, THEY moved in with US, and began construction on THEIR new home, although they didn't build it themselves, but rather needed a place to live until it was built as they had to sell their former home to pay for the construction of the new one. We were very happy to do it, and today we all live in our respective houses, happy with our projects.

Well, mostly happy. When you are in your 20s you don't know much. DK pored over books on home design, kitchen design, space allocation, architectural styles, all that sort of stuff. Unfortunately, she fixated on ONE design concept in kitchen design, which is to try to build a tight work triangle, the three sides of which are hot cooking (oven/range), cold storage (refrigerator), and sink/dishes station. She was SO fixated on this concept that, well, she planned her kitchen all wrong. If she had it to do over, she would make an ENTIRELY different kitchen design.

However, she is grateful to have what she has. She has a philosophy of trying to buy things only once. To make things last. To work with what she has. To learn to be content.

The original kitchen she designed had a fatal flaw. There was ONE decent chunk of counter space in a useful position, next to the sink. (The other side of the sink was allocated for dish drying real estate.) This ONE chunk of counter space was doubling for food prep and for dirty dish dump. Because DK is sorta a slob, the dirty dish dump was always in the way of clear real estate for food prep. It made DK nuts. So, she re-arranged her kitchen, to open up a large chunk of counter space for food prep, and to have TWO SEPARATE counter chunks, one for food prep, one for dish dump, as the two functions really should be separated within kitchen real estate. Live and learn.

So, this is gettin' way too long of a post, only for the true readers out there, and philosophers.

This picture is the ORIGINAL kitchen, just before DK went out somewhere with her sister in law for the day - they were visiting from out of state, only to return to those two guys having ripped out cabinets while she was out. That was quite a day. One of them is her brother, the other is Other Geek. They thought they were so clever, dismantling DK's kitchen WITHOUT TELLING HER that day. What a surprise, when she and her sister in law returned. This is the only picture of the original kitchen she has been able to find, so far, for you.

Note the chunk of wall behind them. It holds the fridge, a dish cabinet set down on the counter level (rendering the counter useless due to door swing and lack of counter depth), higher cabinets, and off to the right you see another chunk of wall with the cooktop and hood.

Note that the cooktop is black, and the hood white. Note that the (pocket) door behind them is to a walk in pantry. The cabinet doors are open in this photo, probably because the guys were trying to see the attachment points to the wall, before they removed said cabinets. Behind the fridge, the wall is hollow, due to a (different, not pantry) pocket door recess, so cabinet attachment to the walls was slightly different, due to this, and needed to be studied. The counter depth that Smiley one is leaning back upon is the standard 25 inches.

OK. Digest this and soon we will show a blueprint and the problems thereof, in the original kitchen.

That DK is trying to salvage. She can't fix wrong executive decisions such as space, at this time, without a major remodel, which she's not going to do, because she just doesn't want to. So she's working with what she has, tuning it the best she can. She wants to own her stuff, not have her stuff own her. And if she did a correct and total kitchen re-model, the anal perfectionist in her would not allow her to do anything less than correct, which would put her in the 50 thou plus range, and she's just not going to be owned in that way. She'd rather be free.

The main lesson here is: When you make the wrong Executive Decisions up front, you will pay for them all the way down the line, and often cannot correct all the way back to ideal, you will lose something. This lesson has impacted how DK grows shrimp. When she got into shrimp seriously, she looked at the landscape from a global perspective and decided she was going to GROW SHRIMP. So the priority, the focus, was SOLELY to GROW SHRIMP. Thus, she abandoned the pretense of keeping planted tanks per se, and she made the executive decision not to mix livestock, such as shrimp and fish. In this case, her kitchen taught her how to take a global perspective on growing shrimp, and first of all make the correct Executive Decisions, up front. Later in this series, we will see how growing shrimp has affected her project planning in the kitchen salvage project.

She's coming up on ten years of growing shrimp. She cannot tell you in those years how many folks have come to her, decided to "do what she does" and make a buncha shrimp tanks, breed oodles of shrimp, sell them and make a fortune (she tries not to snort as they explain their lofty goals, and would she tell them everything she knows?) then in about exactly two years or less, they disappear from the shrimp scene, altogether. Why? Because they made the wrong executive decisions concerning their shrimp keeping, up front. Their basic model was wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	halfnhalf 020 12 28 2003 edit.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	230978  

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 11-05-2013 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: ...