DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 117
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #1741
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Heinzerator project 04

First, DK takes the weird tube and wraps it in the wedding ribbon, securing it temporarily on both ends using those handy-dandy two-sided velcro tie things she loves so much.

Then, she glues the ribbon to each end, using a smear of Goop. Goop is such useful stuff, like 3-D duct tape, it is. It also happens to be water proof when done curing. Then, she trims the ribbon neatly at the ends.

Next, she cuts the threaded end off the Minute Maid juice bottle and glues it to one end of the ribboned tube. Let's make a new verb from the proper noun "Goop." She Goops it onto the end of the tube.

We digress here to state that the Minute Maid cap is black, and the Costco milk cap is white, and they both happen to fit the threads to the Minute Maid bottle. This is important to note, or you may get confused shortly.

Attached Images

Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #1742
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

ok post a pic of this goop you use. i need to get me some
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #1743
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
ok post a pic of this goop you use. i need to get me some
How's yer foot, C?

Here's goop: You can get it at Lowes, etc.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goop.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	191114  

Old 08-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #1744
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

foot is almost totally fix. no boot, brace, or cane. only time i need a brace is if im off solid ground ie like for mowing or walking in the park. other than that good as can be. thanks for the pic i will have to look for that stuff
Old 08-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #1745
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

The Heinzerator project 05

So now, DK takes the Minute Maid juice bottle lid and fools with it. It is a nice thick lid with a supporting extra ring underneath. She uses this to her benefit.

She drills a hole just inside the supporting ring.

Then, she cuts a circle of silicone from the silicone funnel leftover scrap, to fit inside the lid snugly.

Next, she marks an "X" and cuts it.

Now, she has made a giant version of the Heinze bottle valve....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
foot is almost totally fix. no boot, brace, or cane. only time i need a brace is if im off solid ground ie like for mowing or walking in the park. other than that good as can be. thanks for the pic i will have to look for that stuff
That's great to hear, C!

Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #1746
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

The Heinzerator project, part 6

Now, DK glues (goops, that is) the BLACK super-sized-valve lid onto the BOTTOM of the gizmo. And then screws the WHITE Costco milk jug lid onto the top where the Minute Maid threads reside. She should get residuals for product placements, like in the movies, she says.

So, hereitiz.

In other news, DK was starting to think about other hobbies, as her Shrimporium has been DEAD BORING the past month, all automated and all. That is, until this week, when a few good dramas unfolded!

First, she kept staring at the broke-black tank and all its many, many juvies, wondering why those dudes are taking so long to grow. She opened up two more feeding stations in that tank and voila, she needed to double feeds in there - they were not getting enough to eat as there are now so many of them. She's having to re-adjust all her feed ratios now that most tanks are pulling into production.

Second, her Mermaid tank tried to crash on her. One of the injection solutions for her secret Mermaid cocktail seems to be time-sensitive and will precipitate out of solution after about a month. Normally, this is not an issue as she makes a bit each week and fills the vat. But recently, as y'all recall, she went on vacay for... oh... about a month... and made her an extra large batch of the stuff for the duration. She noticed the crystals in the vat and by the time she re-did the vat the Mermaids were a bit uhappy, a few VBD in there (VBD is DK's slang for voted by death, meaning they display their supreme unhappiness in a kamikazi mannner). Once she had the new juice in the system, the problems abated immediately and they are back to their immoral, partying ways in there, dancing up on the plateau and all.

Third.

Yes, things come in thirds, it seems. Well, let's just say DK had a BIG OL' GRIN on her face yesterday when she unequivocally demonstrated proof of concept in one of her experimental breeding tanks in her F2s. She won't say more until she gets them grown, hoping she doesn't manage to crash a tank before then! But she is super, super excited at what she made!

OK. Carry on.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-21-2013 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #1747
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

cant wait to see what you created.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #1748
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

The Heinzerator project, part 7

And so, here it is. What did DK do with it, and why? She stuffs it with peat pellets on the screw cap end, and as they age, she puts more in that end each week, extruding out the used stuff on the Heinzerator valve end as needed (into the trash, not into the tank, she extrudes, that is). To push the pH down in her Taiwan tank. Here's a shot of it in use in beta testing.

IN OTHER NEWS:

It seems all the rage to flaunt one's pregnancy, showing off ones embryo(s), which is what DK caught this Mermaid doing, today.

Also some shots of her Popsicle Rili she is working on. The right ones have three color tones, which remind her of - what - um, popsicles. Food, always food, with her. Hmmmmmph!

Popsicle image credit: http://cookingstoned.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Mango-Lassi-Popsicles-Main-790x591.jpg

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-23-2013 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #1749
infamouz23
Planted Tank Explorer

PTrader: (11/100%)

Amazing thread. I really like the look of your popsicle rili, all patterns.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #1750
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

love the rili they look cool. cant wait to see how well the peat holder works
Old 08-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #1751
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Scenes around the place, today. Brought to you courtesy of the caffeine in a McD's iced coffee. Without it, these wouldn't have happened, trust me. DK stinks at taking pictures and pretty much hates to do so, 'cause it frustrates her.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-24-2013 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #1752
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

looks to me like your good at it. i cant wait till i can get shrimp again this move cost me the few i had left and was planning on keeping grrrrrr. i think they cooked on the way here cause it was so hot. but love your pics keep them comming
Old 08-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #1753
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

The Heizerator project, conclusion

It's been a several week period since DK made the Heinzerator; she began the beta testing BEFORE she went on the epic western tour.

Over the weekend, we finally had proof of concept. See what DK spied on the glass!

And, a pic over the weekend of one of her Papaya crystals.

Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #1754
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

love the papaya crystal so cool. and congrats on the baby bkk. looks good. keep the pics comming they are awesome
Old 08-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #1755
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Before we meander our way into the next project, here are some interesting shrimp oddities. DK's into "interesting." DK's into shrimp. DK's into "oddities."

First up, a picture of a ninja shrimp, taken recently. What is interesting about said shrimp is that she's been in that tank for oh, um, about AT LEAST four years. She is the only ninja, and they do not breed in fresh water, so I know it's the same shrimp.

Second, yesterday DK was a-foolin' around with stuff. She is inducing breeding now in her Taiwan tank, which means molting. She has noticed previously that their molts can carry leftover pigment; she's had blue-tint molts and red-tint molts where most molts are basically colorless.

Normally when a shrimp molts, within minutes there are microscopic organisms that magically appear and start to eat off the slime coating on the interior of the molt. This can easily be seen under a microscope, which DK has in her shrimp lab. Normally, these buggers are clear.

But, in the case of a Taiwan molt, they will pick up the pigment in the slime coat and turn bright royal blue.

DK finally figured a way (redneck tho-it-iz) to get pictures of what she sees in her scope. She DID buy a scope camera, but it's junk, and she hates it. These pics, she took by setting her normal camera on super macro and taking the pic down the eye piece. Crude, I know.

The camera doesn't read light or color quite right under these circumstances, but you can see the general idea, and the dark color of the microbes, although the blue doesn't show in the photo. These guys are poppin' around in there like lotto balls before a drawing.

Enjoy. Nerd on.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 08-27-2013 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: ...