DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 108
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #1606
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Here's another one I found: See this page for more, this guy's a lateral split, but all messed up!

Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #1607
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Hmmm. But do lobsters have pigment sexual dimorphism? Is that a gynandomorph?

At any rate, I think our pumpkin spotter is probably not a chimera. I think it's more likely craptastic leaky co-dominant pigment genes at work, the more I think about it.

I put "red-spot-orangey" in with "chimera-rili" male into a separate tank yesterday, and this morning she was berried! I also put a two-toned other male in there, so don't know who knocked her up, though. At any rate, that should become an interesting tank. I put momma pumpkin rili in there, too.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #1608
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

The lobster on the left of the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources pic is considered a yellow mutation. So not a chimeric.

The mouse looks more mosaic to me (I used to breed mice), but may be a chimera if created in a lab. (?)
Never seen a Harley like that though in a crustacean. Waaaaay cool!

Will be very interested to see what comes of the experimental shrimp breeding tank.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:05 PM   #1609
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Are the clusters of red perhaps higher density of pigments?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #1610
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
The lobster on the left of the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources pic is considered a yellow mutation. So not a chimeric.

The mouse looks more mosaic to me (I used to breed mice), but may be a chimera if created in a lab. (?)
Never seen a Harley like that though in a crustacean. Waaaaay cool!

Will be very interested to see what comes of the experimental shrimp breeding tank.
Yeah, look at the pigment splits on his tail and legs - and those big claws - ...like he got all jumbled up as an embryo, early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
Are the clusters of red perhaps higher density of pigments?
Could be. One thing that suggests against cell blending (chimerism, mosaicism, etc.) is that in red-spot-orangey and chimera-rili the pigments blend rather than show defined edges. Not to mention the distribution.

I find it really interesting, the apparent linkage of these events:

"Painted" versions of pigment arise, with a sort of thicker pigment with a fluorescent characteristic to it. At very near the same time, "rili" versions pop on the scene, and from what I can tell, the "rili" is linked to those fluorescent type pigments. The "rili" is unstable in nature. From what I've read, it tends to pop up (sport) out of painted type populations.

I believe pumpkin to be a version, derivative or something, of painted red pigment. The behavior in a population is recessive under painted red, this much I can tell you.

So it was just yesterday that I even noticed the dual pigments (in a single individual) in that population, when digging around for Ms. Pumpkin Rili. That tank has been totally abandoned for months, behind slimy glass, and I had not even looked in there. But I recently did some adjustments and was watching the painted tanks color up in response, so decided to clean the glass and take a look in there.

And, we have more fun to play with. Now that we have decent water!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #1611
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

Sweet. Definitely keep us updated on these as mutations and selective breeding is my interest.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #1612
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Wetwedding project 32

So, we continue looking at the details. A reference key to the master photograph:
  1. Master manual water input valve.
  2. Quick connect fittings and joints, throughout. Every element can be isolated and removed (and replaced if needed) within a few moments, so downtime isn't significant.
  3. 5 micron prefilter.
  4. 1 micron prefilter. There is no carbon prefilter as it was not necessary since this is a well and also it would have added a good bit of resistance to the system and has to be placed AFTER the pressure booster pump if included (to exclude the possibility of carbon particles migrating into the pump and damaging the pump). There is also no DI canister as I did not want the product water polished to that extent, I wanted a small amount of residual nitrate left. The product water is pretty much devoid of anything else. RO membranes remove nitrates at slightly lower efficiency than other things.
  5. Master solenoid valve for system water input.
  6. Series 8800 pump, this is the beefiest one of the entire series made. This pump is a pressure booster pump that drives water through the system.
  7. Ah, yes. Totoro. We'll do a whole post on Totoro, later.
  8. The RO membrane housings and membranes.
  9. Membrane flush cycle solenoid valve.
  10. Permeate pump. This pump is an energy capture device that channels energy in the pressure of the outgoing WASTE stream into the force to push the PRODUCT stream against the well tank pressure and into the tank.
  11. Pressure switch.
  12. Macromatic interval timing relay.
  13. Wiring distribution box, this is where the signal from the 24 VAC gets distributed to the pump, the 120 VAC relay, and the Macromatic relay.
  14. In-line TDS monitor, I have it reading the product output lines from housing 1 and housing 2.
  15. Master power supply - 24 VAC.
  16. Pressure gauge, reading line pressure entering first RO membrane housing.
  17. Pressure gauge, reading line pressure entering well tank.
  18. Side valve and access that goes to my Shrimporium utility sink, so I have RO on tap there when wanted.
  19. Relay and outlet box - this contains the relay that takes the 24 VAC signal to close the circuit to the gray plug, which then powers the outlets in this box. The master solenoid valve, Macromatic, and Totoro are powered here.
  20. Master power GFCI, 120 VAC, we already had a post on this.
  21. System documents, including manuals, specifications, research, etc.
  22. 44 gallon pressurized well tank.

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-22-2013 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #1613
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

always leaves me speechless dk
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #1614
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

DK why do you use a pressurized tank to store RO water instead of just a regular storage tank with a float valve?
oblongshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #1615
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblongshrimp View Post
DK why do you use a pressurized tank to store RO water instead of just a regular storage tank with a float valve?
Well, you've hit the nail on the head.

The whole challenge of this project was not to get an RO system.
You can plunk down a B. Franklin or two or three for that.

The challenge was to engineer a METHOD
to have pressurized RO inline
to feed WFIII any time WFIII called for water.

WFIII needs certain things. It needs a minimal flow rate and line pressure in order for the pulse water meter to read flow accurately, to send signals to the Stenner pumps. It needs a minimal flow rate for the injectors to work accurately. To get that flow rate, you need line pressure to push the water through the system fast enough.

This means when WFIII opens up for a cycle, it wants to "see" water as though it's coming from a pressurized line.

That's the whole significance of this being a "Wetwedding"
- the bride and the groom must interact together properly for the entire system to work.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetwedding.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	478.3 KB
ID:	130825  

Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #1616
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Today's eye candy (to DK).

In the first, one of the upcoming projects, some new coo-el parts DK just scored.

In the second, DK saw her crystal-momma up against the glass and thought to herself, "Man, that momma looks fully cooked." By the time she ran to get the camera, momma was dropping babies, popping out of their eggs and swimming off! Coo-el!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	six inch louvers.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	131713  

Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #1617
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

awsome shrimp pic congrats on the babies
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #1618
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 01

Sometimes (often, actually), DK sits around pondering questions.

Like, say, for example: DK has cut into her home's main water line, main drain line, and main electrical panel box for the sake of her Shrimporium.

All that seems left is her home's main ventilation line.

Does she have the guts to do it?

She ponders...

...In between reading about how to design zones for HVAC systems, and comparing the qualities of backdraft dampers versus pressure compensating dampers. She's pretty sure pressure compensating are the way to go, because they are ADJUSTABLE.

She is, of course, pondering something that uses components for other than their intended purpose...

Ennyone out there an HVAC tech? Speak to me...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	light heat gain.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	132602  

Name:	lights heat btus.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	132610  

Name:	heating and cooling impact.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	132618  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-26-2013 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #1619
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Shrimpzone project 02

OK, so.

DK's taken a couple of days to ponder The Syndicate, and how that will apply to this project.

She's also spent a lot of time pondering avoidance of whistles.

She's pondered the ramifications of essentially patching in a stent directly onto the aorta with zero practical length, which amounts to punching a hole into the aorta, metaphorically speaking.

She's thought about flow versus velocity versus volume. And cubic feet balance.

And how to do it, without whistling, and without causing blackout due to lack of "blood flow to the brain." Therein lies the key. Flow balance, without whistling.

She's dug around in her ceiling, looking for an escape route, and has located what she thinks is a suitable one.

And, she's decided to do this project in phases, because no matter how much studying she did, there were still some hefty unknowns, so instead she went forward on principles and designed into her approach reversibility, flexibility, and modularity. Sound familiar?

In the meantime, her critical parts (phase I, that is) have arrived, and she also went on a field trip to Lowes and discovered these lovely, lovely useful things that she didn't know existed until today!

And, digging around in her bins & barrels of parts & pieces, she harvested some reclaimed 1/4 inch lexan sheet scrap, formerly tank lids before the twinwall took over.

She's trying to do a $1500 zone job on about $50. And the only way to do it that she could think of was to follow The Syndicate, in their ways.

Stay tuned, more pics later when her Gorilla glue has set up.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-28-2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #1620
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

automated air flow to the shrimp hmmmmmm i think this will be fun to watch come together............