DK's m..a..d.. d..o..-i..n..g..s........ - Page 105
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 04-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #1561
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

cant wait to see a full pic of it.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #1562
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

PTrader: (197/100%)

Wetwedding project 20

AARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

DK's been planning this wedding.

She had hired a modestly priced dressmaker and wedding planner. She gave them the fabric for the dress, and EXPLICIT instructions that she wanted a small, intimate affair, tasteful, understated, classic undertones.

The dress was to be plain ivory chiffon overlay over a simple expertly fitted silk satin bodice and gored skirt, 6 foot train. No floof, lacy overlays, holes, or fancy stuff. Simple, modest, classic, TASTEFUL.

The reception, she told the planner, she wanted understated natural accents, such as English ivy with an occasional cluster of naturally fragrant gardenia blooms and the odd spray of freesia. Just a touch of greenery, here and there. That's all.

She then went back to work, on her beta testing, thinking she had handed it off to PROFESSIONALS. And then she went to sleep last night, tired.

This morning, she goes down the the Shrimporium and the Mermaids have RUINED EVERYTHING!!!!!

BEHIND MY BACK, the Mermaids got to the dressmaker and wedding planner, bribed them off (can you say EXTORTION??) and sent the bride and groom off on a BENDER to elope, last night.

AND THEN, this morning, I discover that instead of a wedding and tasteful, intimate reception to celebrate, the Mermaids have turned the Shrimporium into a TAVERN and are planning serial keggers! They have dressed DK's bride in a BARMAID'S cocktail apron for the party!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

The loops that those shrimp throw DK for. WHAT is DK to do, with those bad, bad, bad Mermaids? It's like a reality TV come to life, for her, in the Shrimporium.

How would you feel, finding a GIANT KEG advertising "Shrimp Cocktails" available in BULK, in YOUR shrimp room?

Time to consume MORE caffeine...

IN OTHER NEWS:

Y'know how people count sheep to get asleep? Well, this morning, DK counted water joints, to lower her blood pressure toward the naughty Mermaids. Not including any glued joints (which should have no leak potential), DK's new bride has 104 joints! No way!

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: ...
DKShrimporium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #1563
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

lol thats awsome where can i get one of those fliers hehehehe.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #1564
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Wetwedding project 21

Here's a shot with the feral-wolf-wannabe, to give an idea of scale.

----------
BTW - that whole tank covering is functional, not vanity. The tank is so big, and situated with the plumbing fixtures to the back to protect them from being banged, since they are PVC and not metal, that the tank sits out in the room a bit. The tank has taken half the parking spot that was used for my mobile chop saw table, so now the table will have to go end-on against the wall next to the tank, instead of sideways against the wall.

The upshot of these things is that the tank is somewhat vulnerable to being banged, particularly by the mobile chop saw table as it's moved in and out for use.

That tank covering is made from gore-tex (DK had a peep who used to work there and brought home samples of products) underneath the shrimp flag. But underneath the gore-tex is an old cotton dhurrie rug as padding against knocks.

So now, if the tank gets banged up against, it will have a good layer of protection.

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-08-2013 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #1565
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i love wolf wannabe's colors sooooo pretty. hehe what color would he be with a buzz cut lol. moose is almost red/brown right not after he gets shaved for summer he goes grey hehe.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #1566
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Wetwedding project 22

Here we have a view of the back-wall-side plumbing of the tank. After much deliberation (and a problem with real estate availability to do it), I opted NOT to plumb in a pressure release valve on the tank, as I have two safety mechanisms elsewhere for emergency pressure amelioration and it's highly unlikely the system would be able to generate rupture pressure on the tank.

The tank is pop-n-go with a union valve at the outset, in case I need to move it fast or shut off the tank contents from the rest of the plumbing. Shutting off the tank from the plumbing is useful if the plumbing springs a leak, or in the case of doing maintenance then starting the system back up - as the air bubble entered into the system from the maintenance passes through, it does NOT go into the tank but can bypass it, thereby not adding an air mass into the valuable bladder space. Otherwise, if a bubble is added, the only way to purge it is to empty the tank down to nothing and start the refill from zero.

Distal to the union valve is a very tight sequence of fittings. The only pipe showing is a quarter inch, which I needed for release of the John Guest collets.

You can see how this foot-plus sequence would be vulnerable to banging if mounted on the room-interior-side of the tank rather than behind the tank toward the wall, especially with all the activity in the shrimporium with ladders, mobile chop saw carts, and a feral-wolf-wannabe that MUST see what you are doing, always, at close range.

I could have made the sequence a bit more space-efficient, but the cost would have been to lose my rotational ajustability. I always want to keep options in a system, so I chose to use about 3 more inches of real estate and get that important rotational adjustability at the tank and at the wall fittings. At the tank, this allows me to tighten the threads if there is a problem. At the wall, this allows me to adjust the angle of tubing to provide the most joint stress relief. Or change the angles if I use the components for something else, or in some other location that requires different angles, someday, as I am wont to do. I like to do an install not only with THIS project in mind, but thinking of how I could re-use the components in a FUTURE project, as well. So I keep my options open.

IN OTHER NEWS:

Bribed with a steak dinner, Other Geek installed not only the GFCI outlet box, but gave DK's new system its own circuit on the panel.

DK spent the weekend beta testing the circuit, and so far, so good.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4204.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	121322  

Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-08-2013 at 01:26 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #1567
pKaz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Whew...finally caught back up on this this thread, as always DK has been hard at work.

Do you still need a shrimptern?

While I was in the process of conjuring a plan for my own potential automation system, I had one question for DK. Where do you dump the waste water for the tanks each day? Does it get plumbed back into the sewer line for the house? Or maybe into a sump pump style system that vents to outside of the house? Just curious.
pKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #1568
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pKaz View Post
Whew...finally caught back up on this this thread, as always DK has been hard at work.

Do you still need a shrimptern?

While I was in the process of conjuring a plan for my own potential automation system, I had one question for DK. Where do you dump the waste water for the tanks each day? Does it get plumbed back into the sewer line for the house? Or maybe into a sump pump style system that vents to outside of the house? Just curious.
Well hello, welcome back.

Yes. YES!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!! Never enough Shrimpterns, in this life. So many things to do, so few Shrimpterns...

I like that: "conjuring," "my own potential AUTOMATION SYSTEM," this is good speak.

Y'know, that question couldn't be more apropos to this Wetwedding project! Stay tuned for near-future discussion of this very issue.

But in short, to answer your question, the tank flush outgoing water is collected in a sump, pumped into the main drain line, and goes out to our septic tank/ drain field.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Wetwedding project 23, what it's all about.

A picture tells a story, we all know. Well this here picture tells a tale of a vastly changed groundwater that feeds DK's well system. She held off believing it was going to be a permanent problem for about a year, and then decided to pluck her head from the sand and execute some executive decisions.

Whilst y'all ponder the UGLY picture, DK will ponder just how much of a dissertation she should write, about this whole project...

Attached Images

Old 04-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #1569
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

my best guess is the 40 ppm. i always have hubby look at my nitrate test cause with him being red/green color blind he can see the color better than i. some times he gets the task of reading my ph too lol. im so happy you have come up with a better solution to the nitrate prob. i was wondering if this is what it was all about hehe.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #1570
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Wetwedding project 24

So, we start with the thesis of toxic water via nitrate contamination. We know the source: cornfields. We now assume this will be an ongoing problem.

DK has extensive meetings with her friends Google and Cyberspace, and then meets with the bigwigs for their opinions: Siemens, and GE.

From them, she learns this little, important fact:
Nitrates are very soluble and do not bind to soils, therefore, they have a high potential to migrate to groundwater sources.
DK assessment: her well could get slammed with nitrates at any time, which apparently is happening with increased frequency.

So, what to do, what are her options?
  1. Live with it, watch the livestock die.
  2. Import non-toxic water, do manual maintenance on 20-some tanks.
  3. Find a way to remediate the nitrates out of the water.

She rules out (1) and (2), and focuses on (3).

She studies the Big Boys: Siemens and GE. What do they do?

The options on a commercial scale are:
  1. Ion Exchange using strong base anion resins regenerated with NaCl
  2. Biological Denitrification using Methanol or Ethanol addition
  3. Electrodialysys or Electrodialysis Reversal
  4. Reverse Osmosis
Since her background is biology and therefore her philosophical bent is to try biological solutions first, her first attempt is (2) above, bioremediation. This was the Overalls project, which is still under beta, but now basically unimportant, although very interesting. People need carbohydrates, as well as proteins, as do plants. For plants, the proteins (nitrogen) derive from nitrates, and carbohydrates from carbon. Carbon can be supplied via hydrocarbons such as ethanol or methanol, but DK's water is chock full of carbon via CO2, so the Mermaids were SORELY disappointed that they weren't about to get soused twice daily.

DK met, again, with Google and Cyberspace. She drew up a target list of bioremediators with certain characteristics (water hyacinth, water lettuce, peace lily, chinese evergreen, pothos, frogbit, horsetail), then went to some experts for their input: DuPont. For those of you who don't know, DuPont was an extreme hobbyist with nearly unlimited funds. His primary passion was horticulture. Longwood Gardens was just ONE of his horticultural forays, and was developed into one of the world's most advanced centers for horticulture. As it happens, it's local to DK, so DK was able to play the "I'm a local" card with them to get in the back door for consultation. She presented her quandary and list of specifications, and asked about hydroculture related to this.

From this, she learned that it is possible to get water hyacinths into hydroculture, under glass lids, in domestic tanks. They are by far the most efficient bioremediators of nitrates.

HOWEVER, to do so, one must lower the tank volume by 1/3, and supply high powered light. Think of plant remediation of nitrates like adding a bilge pump. Yes, you can pump out. But you have to power the pump. Hyacinths can pump out a lot of nitrates (i.e., are a strong pump), but need strong sunlight to do so. When they are chugging along full steam under sunlight, they are an extreme metabolism plant. This means that while they are sucking nitrates out of the water, they are ALSO sucking other things: calcium, magnesium, micronutrients, etc.

This doesn't work for DK, as that consumes too much power and adds too much heat to her equation. It also removes half her tank volume from shrimp space into hyacinth space. It becomes a real estate and power consumption nightmare, and becomes a water chemistry balance nightmare, this approach. Hyacinths were the only plant with a hope of keeping up with the nitrate load in terms of CAPACITY to remove nitrates.

She is forced into defeat, with bioremediation efforts, even though she has amassed and started each of the above species in her beta testing. They simply don't make a dent in the nitrate levels, she has learned from the beta testing.

She moves on, in her war on nitrates. TBC.
Attached Images

Last edited by DKShrimporium; 04-09-2013 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: ...
Old 04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #1571
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

i never thought about sticking a peace lily into a tank. thanks for the awsome idea lol. also on a side not what is the white and dark green plant in the first pic i really like it? it looks like you are getting nitrates down so what every you are doing is working. on a side note though with that much nitrate in your water im guessing you drink bottled water correct? what would all those nitrates do to the human body? sorry for getting sidetracked but your post often make me wonder odd things like this so i figured i would ask hehe
Old 04-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #1572
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

pics not showing up.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #1573
DKShrimporium
Shrimp Listener

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i love wolf wannabe's colors sooooo pretty. hehe what color would he be with a buzz cut lol. moose is almost red/brown right not after he gets shaved for summer he goes grey hehe.
I checked, and it looks like a pinkish white underneath there. He would be VERY weird looking shaved! I didn't think Moose had a long enough coat to shave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i never thought about sticking a peace lily into a tank. thanks for the awsome idea lol. also on a side not what is the white and dark green plant in the first pic i really like it? it looks like you are getting nitrates down so what every you are doing is working. on a side note though with that much nitrate in your water im guessing you drink bottled water correct? what would all those nitrates do to the human body? sorry for getting sidetracked but your post often make me wonder odd things like this so i figured i would ask hehe
Peace lily and Chinese evergreen both habor some toxicity in their plant juices, just FYI.

That neat green/white plant is a rather new cultivar of pothos called n'joy.

High nitrates are known to be risky to infants, but it's more debatable for adults. Some argue that we EAT more nitrates in food than drink in water by far. And they come in surprising places like super foods Swiss Chard and spinach. We've been drinking the water, but who knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
pics not showing up.
Hmm. I see 'em. Ennyone else not seeing 'em?

IN OTHER NEWS:

DK thought she was done with the bridal install. It's been running totally automated a couple days, now. But then today, she gets this idea...

More parts on the way.

She's incorrigible.

Prolly it's the nitrates, she consumes.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #1574
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

lol cant wait to see more pics.

as for moose his fur isnt long but not slick short either. im prob going to shave him tomorrow with clippers. he is just so dark colored and likes to spend alot of time out side he gets way to hot not to buzz cut him. most the time i end up not using any of the guards for the clippers. i got a $20 pair of human hair clippers and use those
Old 04-10-2013, 03:38 AM   #1575
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

pics showing up now for me. weird...

Did you plant the n'joy in the substrate?