ferts...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-28-2014, 05:40 AM   #1
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

ferts...

Are ferts safe for my crayfish and snails? If so which do you recommend? How often and all that... i have floaters and moss I'm wanting more variety of plants but I'm wanting to grow my stuff faster so ferts if they are safe that is...
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dosed appropriately, they should be fine for your crayfish and snails.

There are various dosing strategies that are out there, some more common ones include Estimative Index (EI) as well as PPS-Pro.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

How do those strategies work?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Dosed appropriately, they should be fine for your crayfish and snails.

There are various dosing strategies that are out there, some more common ones include Estimative Index (EI) as well as PPS-Pro.
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...on-Method.html

way to expensive for me lol..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...od-238608.html

Read it... they both say use csm+b... which contains copper which I have been told is poisonous to invertebrates. .. snails as well as shrimp/crayfish...
Old 07-29-2014, 02:10 AM   #5
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothing Shrimp View Post
How do those strategies work?
EI dosing is essentially a strategy whereby you are dosing just a bit over excess nutrients, so that plants are never starved. At the end of each week, a 50% water change is conducted, thereby resetting nutrient levels and preventing them from accumulating.

PPS-Pro is the opposite, where you are dosing just barely enough to meet the demands of plants. This method requires a bit more patience, as you have to adjust the fertilizer dosage to the amount of plants (biomass) that you have.

Of course, both methods can be tailored to suit (e.g. biweekly water changes while still dosing EI, etc).

My Primer to Planted Tanks (linked in my signature below) has some basic information regarding these two dosing strategies, but I would recommend that you do a quick search of the forums for threads that cover these topics much more extensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpcrazy00 View Post
way to expensive for me lol..

Read it... they both say use csm+b... which contains copper which I have been told is poisonous to invertebrates. .. snails as well as shrimp/crayfish...
I am unsure why you think EI is expensive.

For example, I am able to purchase 500 grams of potassium nitrate for around $5. This lasts me approximately a year, given that I use to dose approximately 120 gallons worth of aquariums.

CSM+B, potassium sulfate and potassium phosphate are similarly priced, meaning that I can fertilize my aquariums for about $20 a year.

Regarding CSM+B, as well as all other commercial trace mixes, they will inevitably contain copper. Shrimp food contains copper.

Invertebrates require copper as part of their diet, as it is required for proper hemocyanin production and function.

However, as with anything, the dose makes the poison. The amounts of copper that are dosed via CSM+B (or in shrimp food, for that matter) are low enough that shrimp should not be affected. Of course, there are exceptions (e.g. if you are trying to breed shrimp that have exceedingly stringent water requirements).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:21 AM   #6
shrimpcrazy00
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default wellll.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
EI dosing is essentially a strategy whereby you are dosing just a bit over excess nutrients, so that plants are never starved. At the end of each week, a 50% water change is conducted, thereby resetting nutrient levels and preventing them from accumulating.

PPS-Pro is the opposite, where you are dosing just barely enough to meet the demands of plants. This method requires a bit more patience, as you have to adjust the fertilizer dosage to the amount of plants (biomass) that you have.

Of course, both methods can be tailored to suit (e.g. biweekly water changes while still dosing EI, etc).

My Primer to Planted Tanks (linked in my signature below) has some basic information regarding these two dosing strategies, but I would recommend that you do a quick search of the forums for threads that cover these topics much more extensively.

I am unsure why you think EI is expensive.

For example, I am able to purchase 500 grams of potassium nitrate for around $5. This lasts me approximately a year, given that I use to dose approximately 120 gallons worth of aquariums.

CSM+B, potassium sulfate and potassium phosphate are similarly priced, meaning that I can fertilize my aquariums for about $20 a year.

Regarding CSM+B, as well as all other commercial trace mixes, they will inevitably contain copper. Shrimp food contains copper.

Invertebrates require copper as part of their diet, as it is required for proper hemocyanin production and function.

However, as with anything, the dose makes the poison. The amounts of copper that are dosed via CSM+B (or in shrimp food, for that matter) are low enough that shrimp should not be affected. Of course, there are exceptions (e.g. if you are trying to breed shrimp that have exceedingly stringent water requirements).
Well I'd like to dose as simply as possible without the measuring and mess... as far as the pricing went I was going by prices I found on ebay for pounds of the stuff I wasn't aware I could buy it in smaller amounts... someone said to dose csm+b and flourish and it would satisfy my needs...

Bump: I admit I know absolutely nada about aquarium plants... and ferts.