HAIRY trumpet snails
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #1
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

HAIRY trumpet snails

Anybody have experience with these snails. They are about size of medium nerites, and have needle like protrusions growing from the back of shell around the spiral. They also move about as slow as nerites.

My search came up with the name "hairy trumpet snails", or "Thiara Cancellata".
LFS I got them from ONLY stock snails that will NOT overrun a tank( usually only nerites and Sulawesi sp.) so far they only seem to be intersted in algae and detritus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	447970  

Wilderman204 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2015, 12:49 AM   #2
CannaBrain
Planted Tank Obsessed

is it one of these?

http://www.planetinverts.com/horned_nerite_snail.html
Old 03-19-2015, 01:53 AM   #3
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
No those are horned nerites. I went to get horned nerite snails bc the LFS a had some really nice ones with crazy long horns... Of course they sold out FAST. But there were some of these Guys so I grabbed 4

These are definiteley Thiara Cancellata.

Bump: Oh yeah they move just like MTS. Like they are dragging their shell

pics are from my phone, sry

Found some info
"Typical for the large HAIRY TRUMPET SNAIL, Thiara cancellata (up to 1.2 inches/3 cm), are the stiff, rear-facing bristles. The animals look interesting and are long-lived in aquariums. They produce free-floating larvae, which, unfortunately, have not yet been successfully reared in the aquarium."
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	23
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	448074  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-19-2015 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 03-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

Default They dig too!

Well I woke up and saw one of them staring to dive into the gravel. It's sure taking a while, but it's slowly digging deeper. Could be a prob as they get bigger, but it's good for the dirt! Going to fill this out this tank with crypts, no way they will uproot a crypt lol
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	13
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	449025  

Last edited by Wilderman204; 03-20-2015 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 03-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

wow that would be a bad day, walking into a shallow pond of these guys. OUCH!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	11
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	449129  

Old 03-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #6
SeaCur
Algae Grower

Hey, I just posted a very similar thread asking what these are. I was told they were horned nerites, but knew that wasn't true. Haven't found anything online to tell me what they are!

Bump: I believe they lay eggs on the glass like nerites, which is why I've never questioned if they were nerites or not. I pull a dozen or so small things stuck to the glass out a week. They bury themselves periodically but don't mind light or prefer to be out in the dark.
SeaCur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCur View Post
Hey, I just posted a very similar thread asking what these are. I was told they were horned nerites, but knew that wasn't true. Haven't found anything online to tell me what they are!

Bump: I believe they lay eggs on the glass like nerites, which is why I've never questioned if they were nerites or not. I pull a dozen or so small things stuck to the glass out a week. They bury themselves periodically but don't mind light or prefer to be out in the dark.
These could easily be confused with horned nerites... If you have never seen a nerite before. The the first difference between HN and HTS is size of horns. HN have thicker larger horns, and less of them. HTS has more spikes and they are much thinner( like needles).
*But the most obvious difference is in their movement. HN will move steadily along, sometimes it's hard to see them actually moving. HTS drags its shell along like a backpack full of bricks. *
Old 03-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #8
SeaCur
Algae Grower

Yes, I'm thinking I need to remove them from my acrylic tank, if it's not already scratched that shell will scratch it for sure. I've never actually watched them move, I'm looking mostly at the shrimp if I'm in there.

I believe they are laying eggs on the acrylic, I couldn't guess what else it would be. I'll leave the "eggs", as I've just been pulling them out, to see what happens.

Anyways, I'm sure glad you posted because I had found nothing. Even still, if I google the name, almost nothing comes up. I couldn't imagine them being so rare or unknown.
SeaCur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
Wilderman204
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCur View Post
Yes, I'm thinking I need to remove them from my acrylic tank, if it's not already scratched that shell will scratch it for sure. I've never actually watched them move, I'm looking mostly at the shrimp if I'm in there.

I believe they are laying eggs on the acrylic, I couldn't guess what else it would be. I'll leave the "eggs", as I've just been pulling them out, to see what happens.

Anyways, I'm sure glad you posted because I had found nothing. Even still, if I google the name, almost nothing comes up. I couldn't imagine them being so rare or unknown.
They don't lay eggs man, live birth like MTS. And from what I've read the young don't often survive in aquariums. They though to breed. These are the ULTIMATE snail IMO. They have an appetite for algae that rivals a nerite, long lived, can get as big as a large nerite, but won't get as massive as a sulawesi snail. Basically combing the good attributes of MTS and Nerites into one, without MTS's overpopulating, and nerites laying eggs everywhere.
And so far they eat EVERY type of algae I have in my tank. Fresh dirt has given me BBA, BGA, GHA, GSA, brown diatoms, and these monster destroy it all. Patch of BGA comes back, and they swarm it. They will pickup gravel one by one spinning it around to get all the algae n

Nerites lay eggs, but whatever hatches out rarely survies in freshwater tanks. Maybe you do indeed have horned nerites(any pics?)And unless something pushing them against the tank I don't see how it would scratch your tank. They don't rub the spikes against anthing, they protrude from its back.

So did the eggs do anything?

Last edited by Wilderman204; 03-30-2015 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: Typo

Tags
identification, snails, trumpet snails

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.