Cause of OEBT deaths?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 08-31-2015, 02:47 AM   #1
beastykato
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cause of OEBT deaths?

Hi everyone, I've been keeping RCS shrimp for quite some time now. And never had an issue at all. I actually sell my shrimp and some members on here have bought them. Anyway, they are all healthy and so prolific that I have to sell them just to keep the populations under control

So, I branched out and got a new type of shrimp. Orange Eye Blue Tigers. There were ~20, now probably about 15+, in a 40 gallon breeder. The whole tank set up was new and fresh, however I jump started it with foam filters from one of my RCS tanks.

Anyway, they are slowly dying off one by one and I've had them about 2 months now. I am unsure of the cause though and wonder if any of you have any tips for these little guys?

My nitrogen readings are all in parameters, the tank is planted, pH is slightly under 7. I got a reading of 6.6 and 6.8 the past two days. Waiting on GH KH kit to arrive. Changing 5 gallons of water out each week. Temp is ~72 since I heard they like it cooler than RCS.

Anyway, with so few shrimp in a large tank I'm having a hard time seeing how bad water quality is the issue. Unless something specific is just slowly stressing them to death.
beastykato is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Doppelgaenger
Algae Grower

Are you using tap water or remineralized RO water? OEBT are severely inbred and very sensitive to water parameters and diseases when the parameters are not perfect.

They could also just be old...
Doppelgaenger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
beastykato
Algae Grower

I keep it pretty simple. I use tap water and just dose prime prior to adding anything to the tank. I mean as you say it may be just a run of bad luck or age, but I just wanted to try to correct a problem if there is something specific they don't like.

I don't think it is age though because some of them are on the smaller side. I'm not sure how large these get in relation to RCS though. None of them are quite as large as my big RCS females.

15 shrimp in a 40 gallon, honestly probably doesn't even need a filter with the small amount of bioload they are putting out, but I have two dual foam filters running. I'm just following the same exact procedures I used for RCS and unfortunately it's not going as smoothly.

Plants in the tank include a couple types of moss, wisteria, anubias, and vals.

I have heard these were more difficult to keep, but I just feel a little helpless here since everything seems to be fine water wise.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Daisy Mae
Planted Tank Obsessed

Need to rule out the GH and KH as cause so it may be a waiting game until your test kit arrives.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:38 PM   #5
Lukeo85
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Possible a bacterial infection.
Lukeo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2015, 02:19 AM   #6
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (72/100%)

Check first GH,KH and TDS before making any changes.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #7
beastykato
Algae Grower

Default Planaria!

I was watching the tank closely today and noticed a few small planaria in my tank. I've never had these before and had no idea what they were, but apparently they can kill shrimp?

Anyway, I've already been doing a little research. It looks like there are shrimp safe medications. No planaria is one I saw, but it wasn't available on amazon. Can anyone recommend a safe medication for this? If it's something I can pick up local at petsmart and dose today that would be even better.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #8
Daisy Mae
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just to be on the safe side, are you sure it is planaria? There's are other critters that are common in shrimp only tanks, and these are not harmful.

E.g detritus worms and Rhabdocoela

There's a thread on this, check it out. The meds can sometimes do more harm than the unwanted critter.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=340946
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #9
al4n
Algae Grower

Sounds like GH/KH & TDS issues, PH is little high for the OEBT already

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
al4n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM   #10
beastykato
Algae Grower

Ok, I'll try to id them. I just assumed because they definitely resemble them. I also read that they come out of the substrate at night and while I'm watching during the day everything is fine. Then I'll get up and turn on the light and find a dead shrimp in the a.m.

They say these little things come out from too much waste in the tank. Tested again and everything is 0 and nitrate is ~5ppm. Haven't fed them for 3 days.

As for the gh/kh kit is on the way.

I'll just keep everything steady. They appear to be healthy as can be and I see them molting. Definitely hope I can save these guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.