Snail ID
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 07-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
MoreyFan
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Snail ID

Noticed this guy in my tank and was wondering what type it is and how do I get rid of and prevent more in the future.

Should I go nuclear now to prevent more? Will no more show up no matter what?

sorry for the picture. Only lens I have is huge and have to be about 6 feet away to focus.
MoreyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
BrownCow
Algae Grower

Looks like a baby assassin snail. Some people keep them as they kill other snails. Strangely it lacks the usual coloration so I'm not sure if it's an assassin, it may just be that it's very young.
BrownCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
MoreyFan
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownCow View Post
Looks like a baby assassin snail. Some people keep them as they kill other snails. Strangely it lacks the usual coloration so I'm not sure if it's an assassin, it may just be that it's very young.
It is extremely young. I rinsed all of the plants and planted them 7-18 and noticed the snail on 7-26. So might have just been an egg.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:59 AM   #4
BrownCow
Algae Grower

Only other thing I could think it would be is a malaysian trumpet snail, but the profile and roughness of the shell matches assassins more than MTS, as assassins have a blunt-ish tip while MTS shells are long and sharply pointed.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Aquadawg
Algae Killer

That is definitely not an assassin snail. Newborn assassin snails have very distinct black and yellow striped shells. The younger they are the more distinct the shell.

MTS are much more cone shaped than this one.

Keep an eye on these and go out and buy two or three assassin snails if they begin to do damage. Problem solved.

Best,

Joe
Aquadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:31 AM   #6
MoreyFan
Algae Grower

Thanks guys.

To be safe should I just remove it if I can? I have only seen one so I don't think there are more.

If I knew it would not multiply I would keep it. But I don't want 5 or 100 snails in the tank.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
BrownCow
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadawg View Post
That is definitely not an assassin snail. Newborn assassin snails have very distinct black and yellow striped shells. The younger they are the more distinct the shell.
I don't know of any freshwater snails common to aquaria with conical shells like that other than the MTS and assassin. Could be just my ignorance showing through, but when I saw the picture, the very first thing I thought was that it was an albino. The characteristics of the shell shape seem to match assassins perfectly. Someone else on this forum had one.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=178066