Scaping a 30 long
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #1
emerald76
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Scaping a 30 long

Hi all! I'm new here, but I'm also a member over at Aquarium advice.
This is my tank-
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415273238.445601.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	387858
Please ignore the floating sword, it's too small to plant so I need to get a rock to tie to it. I need help! My stuff is all just baby plants and growing in. I need scape help, plant suggestions, everything! I have low light, but upgrading my bulb soon to a floramax or something similar. The dimensions are 36" by 17" by 12". Substrate is one inch of Flourite. The bubblers are temporary. I bough the wood on the left for my old ten and I feel it looks way better singular, so I'm getting rid of it for some better stuff. This is my dream tank-
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2013/show57.html
And I believe it has the same dimensions as mine. My stock plan is-
Currently have-
5 Peppered cories
5 rummynose tetras
2 female GBR
A bunch of guppies
Future-
2 BN Plecos or 6 otos
3 more cories
6 neons or cardinal tetras
Plants-
2 amazon swords
Corkscrew Val
Anarchis
Anubias nana
Java fern
Crypt wenditii "red"
emerald76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
emerald76
Algae Grower

Help anyone?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Joe Fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

It looks like you have 3 pieces of driftwood. I'd put 2 on one side to make it asymmetrical. If you want to keep them in the middle, have them point in different directions. I think the plants look good, but the wood looks "placed", instead of natural.
Joe Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The wood could work, as is, with sufficient plant mass to soften the edges. Since you're planning to get new hardscape, you might as well work with what's there for now--or just take it out and concentrate on growing a good stash of plants to rearrange once you do have the hardscape you want.

For the moment, the biggest kindness you can do yourself is to lay down at least another inch of substrate, if not more. Swords, crypts, even stems need at least a couple inches for their root systems. It'll make planting easier and give you enough depth to keep root-tabs from dissolving into the water column right away. Your floating sword isn't too small to plant, you just don't have enough material there to plant it *in*.

Next biggest need is getting a decent light. Two ways of going about that: either buy your light first then fill with plants that work with the light level you've established, or figure out what plants you want to grow and buy the light that supports 'em.

After that-or during--start accumulating more plant mass. Doesn't necessarily have to be the final plants you want, but having a good solid amount of plant mass makes for a healthier tank and gives you something to work with as you start figuring out your personal aesthetics and what works best in your tank. One of the more frustrating--and amusing--aspects of planted tanks is how different plants will look and behave under different conditions. Look for plants with different textures, colors and growth characteristics and buy enough of each type to be able to plant them in groups. As you're selecting plants to buy--or as you trim them once you start getting new growth--think about establishing three levels of plants in the tank--background will be your tallest plants, foreground your shortest and a range of sizes in the midground to blend the transition from back to front.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
emerald76
Algae Grower

The plants only concept seems like a good idea, as soon as I get new lights I think I'll try that. Can anyone help me with creating the scape in the tank I linked?
Old 11-07-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
The plants only concept seems like a good idea, as soon as I get new lights I think I'll try that. Can anyone help me with creating the scape in the tank I linked?
That is a seriously advanced scape. But, if you want to go for it, the specs at the bottom give you all the plants they used and the hardscape materials.

To get the plant growth patterns and colors shown, you'll need injected C02, high light levels and a regular routine of fertilization. A powerhead to ensure good flow wouldn't be amiss and you'll need to bone up on the pruning techniques for each of the plants types. I'll leave discussion of the sandfalls to someone more experience; they're tricky little beasts.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
emerald76
Algae Grower

I'm not concerned about the sand falls, too much work. I think I can get a fluval CO2 kit and the lights mentioned. What fertilizers would you recommend? I have API leaf zone and co2 booster, I assume I'll need more advanced stuff.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #8
emerald76
Algae Grower

Default Scaping a 30 long

So what substrate should I use? I was thinking a bag of Eco- complete and then white sand for the center area. I'm assuming the depth is created through a lot of
rock stacking- I'm thinking around 10 large chunks of rock with a bunch of small pieces, plus I think some of my current wood could be used to beef up the scape. My family owns a slate quarry that I plan on using for the thin chips of rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.