Advice please on 3ft Aquascape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
ropate
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Advice please on 3ft Aquascape

Right, current scape with tank filled. Definitely not in love with it and the transition from inspiration, Pride Rock by MikeyMikeMike on another forum:

to planned scape on a towel:

to inside the tank... it didn't quite work. Thoughts?

I am contemplating:
1 - ditching the sand running through the centre and having a beach rather than a stream through the centre
OR
2 - ditching the sand entirely and just doing iwagumi making soil higher in the background with mounds on left and right.

Any and all advice/feedback appreciated

Journal is here:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=755217

2 ft lowtech planted - 2 years running
3 ft hightech planted - in process Cade CB900
ropate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #2
goodbytes
Planted Member

I guess I can't help you because I love it as is. Looks like one of those show tanks you see that seem unreachable.
Really nicely done.
goodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
ropate
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
I guess I can't help you because I love it as is. Looks like one of those show tanks you see that seem unreachable.
Really nicely done.
ah thanks mate! But I've gone back to the original plan of no sand 'streams' - all the rocks are out and I'm trying for iwagumi. fingers crossed...will post update pics in the journal here 3ft planted

Old 11-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
ChadRamsey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

i like the scape as is. I'm betting that if you slapped a background up behind it and removed the equipment that it would look like a whole new tank.

but all in all. its beautiful.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
ChadRamsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
ropate
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
i like the scape as is. I'm betting that if you slapped a background up behind it and removed the equipment that it would look like a whole new tank.

but all in all. its beautiful.
thanks

Bump: A little tweaking, and 2 support rocks around the big one on the left, also cut the soil down at the front. want to take it down a little more but the mound of soil above it looks like the angle is too steep i feel. May need to stick some plastic card in there to hold it up or i might end up with a landslide!? Also, going to smash up another rock and see what i get.

Arrows indicating new placements
Front:

Sides

Old 11-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

I'm not sure what you have underneath that rock, but heavy rocks that are unsupported below can sink, cause the equivalent of a mini-landslide that flattens out the slope, as you make adjustments, planting etc. Perhaps can consider putting supports below the stones or substrate supports?

It also allow smaller stones to stand taller... something like this

This allow very steep slopes even with heavy rock

In this tank, the large stone is 10+ kg and is raised 5 inches off the base. In this case, substrates supports would still slide, and egg-crate construction like the one above or using more stones as a base is the only way to get stability. With a support base, it makes full use of the stone as less of it needs to be buried in the substrate for stability sake.

I think having a more dramatic slope can be interesting with regards to your scape

I'm not sure of your plant selection; if you're doing a more purist iwagumi style with mostly carpets, then having more space in the front works. However, if you're using anything other than low carpets, they may quickly over-grow the smaller size stones. In this case, moving the smaller size stones forward more may make them more visible.

The 3 stones from the right as a bit fragmented from the group, but not strong enough to stand by their own. Having them on the same horizontal plane can make things a bit too flat/stable. Perhaps something more to the front or back might be better. Not sure if a split grouping would work; maybe can have a path or ravine between them ha

Last edited by Xiaozhuang; 11-07-2014 at 05:51 PM.. Reason: stuff
Xiaozhuang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
ropate
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
I'm not sure what you have underneath that rock, but heavy rocks that are unsupported below can sink, cause the equivalent of a mini-landslide that flattens out the slope, as you make adjustments, planting etc. Perhaps can consider putting supports below the stones or substrate supports?
Thanks for the great rundown! The 2 biggest rocks have artists' polystyrene blocks under them. that rock in front of them ust on the steeper bit of the slope isn't supported but isn't heavy.

Quote:
I think having a more dramatic slope can be interesting with regards to your scape
Totally agree! I've also got thick plastic card supports to hold the soil up.

Quote:
I'm not sure of your plant selection; if you're doing a more purist iwagumi style with mostly carpets, then having more space in the front works. However, if you're using anything other than low carpets, they may quickly over-grow the smaller size stones. In this case, moving the smaller size stones forward more may make them more visible.
I've gone with a carpet of eleocharis belem, which under this lighting should stay curved down and low...i hope. A mix of stem and bunch plants for between rocks and behind.
Eleocharis Belem
Ludwigia senegalensis
Heteranthera zosterifolia
US Fissiden Pad
Cryptocoryne parva
Pogostemon helferi
Hemianthus Micranthemoides

Quote:
Great photoshopping!!! I see what you mean and will give that a go this arvo! I though i might swap the stone to the far right with the one in the front and centre to gove more stone weight to the second tallest stone! Might try that then move the others as you suggest to have a path

thank you, thank you, thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.