Where not to put your heater - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
meowfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

This is possibly off-topic, but I see a couple comments about inline heaters - I was thinking of getting one but haven't exactly seen a plethora of comments. I've seen several positive tidbits on the Hydor ETH line...

My main concern is that if the heater exploded (or less extreme, malfunctioned) the stand could catch fire instead of just damaging the tank and/or its inhabitants. Any insight from those using them? Is/was that a concern of yours as well?
meowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #17
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

...hydror is plastic and nothing glass based. I think there is always a risk. I read online that only very very few had an issue with temps with the hydror. But nothing about bursting.

Im kinda scared like you, but id rather have a hydror than a heater in my tank.

If it does explode and catch on fire, the water flow will probably put the fire out lol.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:13 AM   #18
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I went with an inline heater b/c since it's not submerged it's much less risk should it fail.

Not to mention it's an ugly thing out of the tank.

I've never had issues with mine, and I'm never looking back.

During the winter we keep the house 72-73F. I keep my tanks 78-80F, since during the summer they run 80-82F due to living in SW Florida...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #19
GoldieATX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Well I thought mine would be a unique and entertaining anecdote. It didn't take much research to find many similar tales of Marineland Stealth heaters failing and exploding. As it turns out, it may have had nothing to do with it being under the gravel (though I still wouldn't recommend it). A potential manufacturer defect may have made the failure inevitable. I'm just glad I didn't lose any livestock or other equipment.

I live in Texas. In Winter, the thermostat is set to 60 degrees during the day, 70 at night. In summer, it's 75 at night and 85 during the day. In any event, my tank heaters aren't asked to work too hard (set at 78). On smaller tanks, I have more trouble keeping the water cool.
GoldieATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #20
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accordztech View Post

Go with a inline heater if you have a canister filter, you wont be sorry.

Since my new Eheim crapped out for no apparent reason two weeks into use, I'm too paranoid to use JUST an inline heater. My fish would have frozen had I done so.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
accordztech
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

sadly, Id rather have frozen fish than a huge mess when I get home.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #22
shane3fan
Master algae cultivator

PTrader: (14/100%)

Im thinking it wasnt the heaters fault--they arent supposed to be placed under the substrate. I wouldnt do that with any heater designed like that. They need to have water flow around them. That would be similar to being upset that your inline heater died because you shut off the canister filter and left the heater on.
shane3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:33 AM   #23
kcharm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

What about touching the glass? I have a Marineland 10W mini heater in my 0.9 gallon Marina cubus tank. I'm in the process of scaping it and found that by building a little wall near the back of the tank, I can keep the heater hidden and not buried in the gravel if it's parallel to the bottom. Problem is, At 6 inches wide, the tank is pretty small even for this little heater. With the cord presses up against one side of the tank, the bottom of the heater is pressed up against the other side.

What do you all think? To risky?
kcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:40 AM   #24
TRD_Power
Algae Grower

Ouch, glad nothing serious happened. I used to keep mine in the corner and hidden behind some plants or wood (rearranged it a bunch).
TRD_Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
Cactus Bastard
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldieATX View Post
It didn't take much research to find many similar tales of Marineland Stealth heaters failing and exploding. As it turns out, it may have had nothing to do with it being under the gravel (though I still wouldn't recommend it). A potential manufacturer defect may have made the failure inevitable.
I don't recommend burying a heater either, but if it was going to explode anyway, you have to admit that being under the gravel was probably about the safest place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindew View Post
I need to ask a silly question!
What temperatures do everyone keep their homes at?
I think you've already gotten your answer but I too keep my house at about 60F during the winter months. Heaters are a necessity for many.

Tags
gravel, heater, hidden