37g Discus, planted, harscaped "Appalachian Allure" - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #46
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Thanks, I really want some more Discus and Cardinals but you wouldn't believe the prices of the Cards here in STL and also the prices that some of the stores try to charge for some of the most sub par discus you have ever seen. If I see one that I like and think has potential the is either going to end one of two ways. I'm going to get the fish for what I feel its really worth or I end up telling the owner/clerk at that specific time go (expletive) off and why that would be a great benefit to the hobby in out area!

Depending on how much energy I have after packing up a large quantity of some Kens food I may just have to slightly re scape and snap some pics. I finally got rid of yet another batch of GW.

On a side note, does anyone else have any experience with UV sterilizers and if the way you have them plugged in reverses the on/off switch that controls the UV light? I had never seen this before but this time I plugged it in not thinking anything of it and put the UV ballast to the 0 position which I thought was the universal sign for ON. Well after about a week of the GW not thinning one bit (IN past times it was completely gone in about 3-4 days from a green pea soup like appearance) so I thought that this Chinese made sterilizer that I had traded for (and that has worked wonderfully for 2 or so years) may have finally bit the bucket. SO I went to the cabinet to check things out (see if I actually DID plug it in) and after seeing that I certainly had plugged it in and that the switch was in the 0 position I flipped the power plug and it turned on!

Is this weird, a little strange or completely normal and I had just been very lucky with plugging aquarium equipment in the right way for the past 20 years?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #47
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

Beautiful L. 'pantanal'!
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #48
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Beautiful L. 'pantanal'!
If only I could get my Hyptis looking as good. I think if things dont look better tomorrow (did a WC and didn't dose today) im going to have to move a few stems to this tank where everything grows like it been maintained by Willy Wanka and his Oompa Loompas.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:41 AM   #49
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Here are some crappy photos I just took. I trimmed the tank and am awaiting it to grow out.

Enjoy!

One of my all time favorites, Polygonum Sao Paulo.

Ludwiagia Palustris x Glandulosa. A rarer stem that produces a uncanny bright red top when in high light and is very happy. These were not close to the top and you can see the difference in coloration in comparison to the stems that were lower before the trim.

My Echinodorus Aflame/Purple Knight

Finally the fish!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #50
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey if I was to set up a 38 gallon 36"X18"X12.5" and was wondering if I could set up the tank with discus and a few other fish as long as I have goo filteration? What do you think? Also I would make sure to keep the water clean and probaly fedd them once every day or every other if needed. Thanks
fishboy199413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #51
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

How many gallons is that?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #52
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

38 US Gallons
Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #53
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, thats the same tank I have. You could have 5 discus in there that are from 3"-5" as long as you keep the water clean.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #54
fishboy199413
Planted Tank Obsessed

Could I have tankmates? Also what if I kept 2-3 discus and would that be temporary? Thank you for answering

P.S. If you have any tips could you give me advice?
Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #55
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

You could keep 2-3 but one of them may get bullied and eventually die. Thats why 4-5 is recommended to evenly distribute the aggression, if any at all.

Rummynose, cardinal and neon tetras are a good match with discus because they come from the same region in nature and can handle the high temps and softer water discus appreciate.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #56
Emerica88
Algae Grower

What is the bright green plant on the left?

Emerica88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #57
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

It is Staurogyne Tropica 049. Which I am actually selling in the link below.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sp...ica-049-a.html
Old 06-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #58
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Some fresh shots. I moved the Echomodorus Aflame to a more prominent spot up front and center and also moved the macandra and a bit of the pantanal.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #59
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
Thanks, I really want some more Discus and Cardinals but you wouldn't believe the prices of the Cards here in STL and also the prices that some of the stores try to charge for some of the most sub par discus you have ever seen. If I see one that I like and think has potential the is either going to end one of two ways. I'm going to get the fish for what I feel its really worth or I end up telling the owner/clerk at that specific time go (expletive) off and why that would be a great benefit to the hobby in out area!

Depending on how much energy I have after packing up a large quantity of some Kens food I may just have to slightly re scape and snap some pics. I finally got rid of yet another batch of GW.

On a side note, does anyone else have any experience with UV sterilizers and if the way you have them plugged in reverses the on/off switch that controls the UV light? I had never seen this before but this time I plugged it in not thinking anything of it and put the UV ballast to the 0 position which I thought was the universal sign for ON. Well after about a week of the GW not thinning one bit (IN past times it was completely gone in about 3-4 days from a green pea soup like appearance) so I thought that this Chinese made sterilizer that I had traded for (and that has worked wonderfully for 2 or so years) may have finally bit the bucket. SO I went to the cabinet to check things out (see if I actually DID plug it in) and after seeing that I certainly had plugged it in and that the switch was in the 0 position I flipped the power plug and it turned on!

Is this weird, a little strange or completely normal and I had just been very lucky with plugging aquarium equipment in the right way for the past 20 years?

Ah yeah, I only know this because I work on computers for a living, but it's binary, 0 = off, 1 or |= on for any electronics that have the switch

Nice tank as usual btw!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:43 AM   #60
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Ah yeah, I only know this because I work on computers for a living, but it's binary, 0 = off, 1 or |= on for any electronics that have the switch

Nice tank as usual btw!
Thank you friend.

UPDATE----------

I just re-hardscaped with some wood I received from Mr.Barr and IMO it's quite the sick layout. Really natural with a very stream like flow across the whole back of the tank. Hopefully I will be able to post some pics tonight.