37g Discus, planted, harscaped "Appalachian Allure" - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 AM   #16
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
ADA- The purple sword plant is an Echinodorus Aflame or Purple Knight. Its the slowest growing sword EVER. I have had it for over a year and i have this plant and another so it split once for me on a whole year. Its temperamental at best and the leaves only survive for a few months so getting a thick full appearance is something I have not yet found to be possible since their super slow growth coupled with them getting ratty forces you to trim them. I just did it on Sunday and now I have like 3 small leaves again!
It's a nice plant looking though! That IS slow.. wow.

Totally dig what you're saying about the discus too. People love to lecture you on here.. I got bashed for my "overcrowded" tank.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #17
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

I think the guidelines are solid but to be so strict about anything is no fun at all!
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I think the guidelines are solid but to be so strict about anything is no fun at all!
Exactly!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 AM   #19
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I have a new reason to dislike this tank, it seems that either from scrubbing the glass to clean GDA or the GDA somehow etches the glass I now have a tank with frosted glass! It's so hazy looking. I thought at first it was from particulates swirling about but looking through the water from above reveals a crystal clear view to the substrate. I also don't like this 37g because of its awkward dimensions, 24"T x 30"W x 12"D. When I purchased it I thought it was the best thing ever since I was more about the fish and not so much plants and scaping so when I found I could go from my 29 to a 37 and use the same stand I jumped on it. I really want a 40 breeder that would be excellent.

Anyway I just got some pretty cool plants. Eriocaulion parkeri, Lachnocaulon African Erio, Tonina "Narrow Leaf" and a mutated bi-color rotala butterfly.

Here are some stunning cell pics. I will break out the proper camera in a bit.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #20
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have a new reason to dislike this tank, it seems that either from scrubbing the glass to clean GDA or the GDA somehow etches the glass I now have a tank with frosted glass! It's so hazy looking. I thought at first it was from particulates swirling about but looking through the water from above reveals a crystal clear view to the substrate. I also don't like this 37g because of its awkward dimensions, 24"T x 30"W x 12"D. When I purchased it I thought it was the best thing ever since I was more about the fish and not so much plants and scaping so when I found I could go from my 29 to a 37 and use the same stand I jumped on it. I really want a 40 breeder that would be excellent.

Anyway I just got some pretty cool plants. Eriocaulion parkeri, Lachnocaulon African Erio, Tonina "Narrow Leaf" and a mutated bi-color rotala butterfly.

Here are some stunning cell pics. I will break out the proper camera in a bit.
Where?? Where are the cell pics!!! Hehe. I wanna see.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #21
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I wrote the above post on my cell phone then decided to take the pics with my real camera and didnt feel like re typing everything. The pics are uploading to photobucket as I type so ill have them posted here in a few minutes.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:56 AM   #22
ADA
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I wrote the above post on my cell phone then decided to take the pics with my real camera and didnt feel like re typing everything. The pics are uploading to photobucket as I type so ill have them posted here in a few minutes.
I'll be waiting.. That's a bummer about your tank! Can you buff the scratches out? There has to be a way to fix it. If not... new giant ADA tank?? hehe.. Sell some shrimp, you'll get your money in no time :p
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #23
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 AM   #24
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hardscape is cool. Id love to see it grown in.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:02 AM   #25
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #26
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I was wondering why the internodes on my pantanal were getting so long. I only had one bank of lighting running! Here are a few pics of having both banks on two days later. Compare the brightness in the pantanal and how fast the butterfly morph has grown.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #27
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

That pantanal is looking stellar!!! Love the plant picks for this tank! Alot of beauties in there
Old 05-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #28
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Love this picture:

I think you need to take that sponge filter and send it to me for my bba tank. It's so pretty.

By the way, with the rocks and the different colored plants, it reminds me of the fall mountains. Good job!

The difference in growth is outstanding.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #29
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
That pantanal is looking stellar!!! Love the plant picks for this tank! Alot of beauties in there
And it's only going to get better.

See this is how I work and from time to
Time what happens to me. I see an issue and go through everything and miss the big stuff because it's just too simple. I have no idea how long I had been running on only one bank of lighting. As soon as I saw that switch off I slapped myself in the face and stomped on my own foot! How stupid!

But now it's all good and the plants are looking very good IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Love this picture:

I think you need to take that sponge filter and send it to me for my bba tank. It's so pretty.

By the way, with the rocks and the different colored plants, it reminds me of the fall mountains. Good job!

The difference in growth is outstanding.
I knew if you stopped by you would see the BBA covered intake sock and get amped up. It's a continual battle in this tank. I let it get crazy then let it sit in a cup filled with a very strong mix of excel and water then replace. Really though the more bba the better it probably filters and makes it more natural looking too.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:34 AM   #30
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I have a ton of pics. I guess I thought everything was beautiful this evening. Ill post up more after I get done hooking up the Reef Keeper Light that I just received into the infrastructure of this tank.

But here are a few.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.