37g Discus, planted, harscaped "Appalachian Allure"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #1
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

37g Discus, planted, harscaped "Appalachian Allure"

I am very excited about this layout. This tank has gone through a few different iterations but I believe this will be the final, most natural and ultimately the scape that I transfer to the large rimless aquarim that will centerpiece my collection when I am able do it.

As I type I am in the midst of speaking with Rod Salyers who is the owner/operator/harbinger of hardscape for thedriftwoodstore.com. We have spoken about this scape on a few different occasions because both he and I are very particular about setting things up correctly from the start with the design goal, rock shape/size/texture/feel and ensuring that I (the customer) am going to get exactly the right rock/wood for the job. This includes verbal and photo sharing through our phones. I will post up some pics of this efforts below. Its quite refreshing in this day and age of "pay me then we can talk mentality"! Wonderful service and I suggest ANYONE who is thinking about hardscaping their tank give them a shot.

The landscape from which the hardscape was born.

Currently the tank has 3 discus and 4 or so Ottocinclus. The plants are Syngonanthus madiera, Ludwigia Pantanal, Echinodorus Aflame, Eriocaulon Austraila II and Polygonum Sao Paulo.

The hardscape will entail North Fork Stones and Appalachian Root Wood which has a contorted shape due to the rocky terrain and a dark reddish brown color given from the high Iron content of the soils, neither of which I have ever seen implemented in a tank before. They were harvested in their entirety, legally and with all proper permits from the watersheds in the higher elevations of the Southern Appalachian mountains and from the streams/rivers of Eastern Tennessee with Rod's own hands. I wish I could have been there!

Everything should be arriving mid week but here are some shots he sent of a very nice mock up of the tank that were done with the dimensions I sent him.

A few sample pics of the materials/

bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

Looking forward to seeing this evolve
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just curious, why do you keep discus in a 37G tank... Are you using it as a grow out tank?
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Why wouldnt I keep them in a 37g tank? I have kept them in here for years with multiple breeding pairs. If you keep the water filtered and provide quality parameters there is no problem. I'm also the guy keeping a large community of high grade CRS in a 5.5g tank too which some people say is not good either.

Last edited by bsmith; 01-24-2011 at 03:14 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Just wondering, no biggie. That's crazy though, I've never heard of people keeping them in smaller tanks than like 55 gallons. But if it works it works, any pics **of the discus? I love them and angels.
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 03:13 AM   #6
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I'll have pics up midweek when I get the stones and am able to scape. I'm thinking Wednesday evening since I'm off Thursday and will be able to devote the necessary time to do the deed.
Old 01-28-2011, 02:39 AM   #7
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Here are a few pics after I vacuumed the substrate and sloped it up in the rear right corner. I totally blanked about the DW floating so well see what happens later tonight.

I LOVE the way the rocks look and I'm going to move the Aflame further to the right and mingle it up with the DW, when it sinks.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
ADA
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow.. another excellent tank in your collection. So jealous. Haha
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #9
Solid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Those rocks have tons of character! How many discus do you plan to keep in there (I see 3)? Also what kind of wicked red sword is that? Looks sweet!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA View Post
Wow.. another excellent tank in your collection. So jealous. Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid View Post
Those rocks have tons of character! How many discus do you plan to keep in there (I see 3)? Also what kind of wicked red sword is that? Looks sweet!
Thanks guys (funny that you two commented consecutively and both have Rams in your Avatar) the tank is coming along okay. I just haven't posted anything new because I had a crazy bout of GW and nothing spectacular has came out of it really. Sunday though, I tore a whole bunch of dead plants from the tank and rearranged where the Purple Bamboo and Polygonum Sao Paulo are. Actually I just looked and saw I hadn't posted pics since the very beginning when the DW wouldn't even stay submerged! Ill post some up tonight.

ADA- The purple sword plant is an Echinodorus Aflame or Purple Knight. Its the slowest growing sword EVER. I have had it for over a year and i have this plant and another so it split once for me on a whole year. Its temperamental at best and the leaves only survive for a few months so getting a thick full appearance is something I have not yet found to be possible since their super slow growth coupled with them getting ratty forces you to trim them. I just did it on Sunday and now I have like 3 small leaves again!

As far the Discus, I actually gassed the smallest one (I would have a nice group of 5-6 of I didn't gas them or kill them with Excel) about 3-4 weeks ago trying to kill the GW. And for future reference upping co2 when you have GW will only make it even worse. I am now a firm believer that the only think that will kill it is a UV sterilizer unless you have a low tech tank with Anubis and Java fern and can afford a week long (or longer) complete black out. I would like to have a group of 5-6 but the local pickings are so crappy. If you look at any of the pics I have posted of them you can see that they are stunted, have big ole eyes and really just dont look that good. I actually try to take the ones in worst shape since I can usually get them for next to nothing and I nurse them back to good health. Please anyone who is a Discus Nazi, spare me the lecture about needing x amount of g per fish. I have bred discus in this very tank and am quite aware that I will never have show quality fish growing them out in a tank like this. As I stated, they arent even anywhere near that quality anyway and I just want them to look good any be happy. Which they will be in this tank (barring and co2 gassing and excel Od'ing) .
Old 04-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

nice setup... im with you i could care less about show quality or stunting. i actually would prefer them to stay small.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, most people (im talking 99%) have no idea what it entails to get smaller discus (2.5"-3.5") and try to get them to grow out to their full potential of 10" fish. Even if you had a 150g tank, that would make it even tougher because you would need to change 130g of the water 2x's a day and feed them 5-7x's a day. Then knowing only what they have read and other discus nazis postings think that if you have less than 10g per fish you are committing animal cruelty. It erks me to no end.

And no Solid, I am not referring to you so please dont think I am.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #13
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

all that overfeeding and waterchanging is a waste IMO. done that and dont care to again. I change water once every month or so, feed once everyday or every other day. treat them like any other fish and they do fine.
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
all that overfeeding and waterchanging is a waste IMO. done that and dont care to again. I change water once every month or so, feed once everyday or every other day. treat them like any other fish and they do fine.
Werd.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #15
daverock1337
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
i agree.

i change my water once a week and feed 1-2 times a day and my one discus is doing fine. he isn't very big, but i don't care to power grow them. seems unnatural to me. he is also starting to color up nicely.
daverock1337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.