Problem with beard/hairy algae.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
privatetibi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to privatetibi

Problem with beard/hairy algae.

Hi,
I'm having problems with this hairy algae. I used Protalon 707 for a treatment, but after 2 weeks the problem's still there. Now I'm doing it all over again, but my guess is that I have a lighting problem. The tank is on the opposite wall from the window, the sunlight never reaches in there, but there's light coming in the room. I use 2 30W Philips Aquarelle, 10.000k. You can check out my tank on the tank section. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2983.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	26146  

privatetibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
Master Se7eN
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)

How long are your lights on? what ferts are you useing?
Master Se7eN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
HypnoticAquatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

my guess is low flow and looks like build up of detruis its really a guessing game until you know all ur perameters flow light temp fert co2 light sched bio load ext ext ill stay by my guess and long photo period guessing
HypnoticAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
privatetibi
Algae Grower

I'm not using any fertilizer or co2. I add active carbon in the filter, but not while I'm doing this treatment. The lights are on for about 8h/day with a 4h break in the afternoon. Actually, not knowing what else to do, I hired a professional that came and did all the tests to the water. He seemed clueless as well as the water parameters were all ok. The only thing he was not satisfied about was that the aquarium is facing a window which is 5m far or so, with no direct sunlight ever. Also, he said that I should probably change one of the lights and use a 6500k instead of 10.000. I'll wait until after the holidays and do whatever it takes. I have 2 days left of the treatment and the algae don't seem to go. Thanks for the answers, and if u have any other ideas, please tell.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:57 AM   #5
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

You need to dose fertilizers. That would make a big difference in your algae problems.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
privatetibi
Algae Grower

I only used Easy Carbo from Easy Life and Aqua-Plant+Activator 24 from Aquatic Nature. Do you know a complete formula? On the website I buy from there are hundreds of products from various brands. These were recommended by that guy that came and tested the water.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM   #7
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Hi,

I remember I used h2o2 (2ml/g) and Metricide 14 (or you can use Seachem Excel) to treat BBA. It took me less than a week but, it killed some of my plants.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...day-day-2.html
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
privatetibi
Algae Grower

Thanks, man. I want to get rid of that annoying algae even if that will cost me a few plants. I'll try that as soon as I finish the treatment I'm doing now.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
You need to dose fertilizers. That would make a big difference in your algae problems.
Yep, you do.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
barbarossa4122
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by privatetibi View Post
Thanks, man. I want to get rid of that annoying algae even if that will cost me a few plants. I'll try that as soon as I finish the treatment I'm doing now.
You will. Good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Jeff1192
Algae Grower

If you're going to dose ferts I would take the carbon out of your filter. Otherwise it will absorb some of the ferts. Also do you feed your fish a lot. I am terrible for over-feeding and always had some BBA in my tank. I cut back on my feedings and the BBA almost completely disappeared.

It could be a flow issue as well. You might want to add a powerhead to ensure even distribution of your CO2.

Jeff

Fluval Edge: low light planted with Scarlet Badis, Celestial Pearl Danios, Pygmy Cories, Cherry Shrimp and Red Crystal Shrimp.
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
captain_bu
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1192 View Post

It could be a flow issue as well. You might want to add a powerhead to ensure even distribution of your CO2.

Jeff
He said he is not using CO2 which along with the lack of fertilization is probably the root of his problem.

Plants need nutrients. Unless the light is excessively low you need to feed your plants NPK + micros and carbon (CO2). Killing algae is not the same as fixing the reason you got it in the first place.
captain_bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #13
privatetibi
Algae Grower

Hi, guys, Thank you very much for your suggestions. I talked to the guy that helps me, showed him what you all said and yes, there was a flow problem so tomorrow i'll get an internal filter just to get some waves in there. Also, tomorrow i finish the protalon 707 treatment which helped but didn't kill all the algae and I'll test the water again. I'll start using fertilization, and replace one of my 10.000k lamps with a 6.500k one. I'm buying new blinds for the windows cause he says that might be a problem as well. I'll cut al the affected leaves and see what happens. Anyways, I'm thinking of buying a CO2 system.
Thanks again. This was really helpful. I'll keep you posted. Happy new year!
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
jeremyblevins
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1192 View Post
If you're going to dose ferts I would take the carbon out of your filter. Otherwise it will absorb some of the ferts. Also do you feed your fish a lot. I am terrible for over-feeding and always had some BBA in my tank. I cut back on my feedings and the BBA almost completely disappeared.

Jeff
proof?
jeremyblevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
privatetibi
Algae Grower

There was an electrical breakdown 2 weeks ago, and the filter didn't restart properly. When I had to clean it and take the active carbon out for the treatment I noticed that it doesn't work well. So, for about a week I didn't have the normal flow. When I saw that you said that there might be a flow issue I linked that with the appearance of that algae.