02RedZ28 Marineland 45g Planted Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
02redz28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

02RedZ28 Marineland 45g Planted Cube

Hey folks,

My name is Patrick and I'm new to this forum, but not to the hobby. I've been keeping freshwater fish since '95 and reefs since 1999. I've kept everything from Tetras to African Cichlids in fresh and fish only with live rock systems to full blown SPS reef aquariums. I've also dabbled in the breeding of Malawian and Tanganyikan cichlids representing 35 species successfully spawned and reared to saleable size.

Most recently, I've been out of the hobby all together since I started medical school in 2009. Now that I'm starting my clinicals, I've got the time to take care of a modestly complex freshwater system. No time for reefs yet.

These were my reefs I took down in summer 2009.

45 gallon SPS Reef

75 gallon SPS Reef

This will be my 5th planted tank in my days of hobby keeping. I've mostly kept anubias, cryptocornis, jungle val, and other relatively easy species.

I've just recently finished picking up most of the materials I'll need for this project and plan to begin assembly by the end of the month.

Specs:

45 gallon Marineland Cube 24x24x24
JBJ 2 x 55W PC 10K & Full Actinic bulbs
-(Temporary until I figure out if I want to use the canopy with 4 x T5HO & 250 DE halide from my former 45 gallon cube reef or just buy a new T5 system.)
-I used this on my 20 gallon planted reef I had a few years ago and it worked great... however, it seems that 55w PC bulbs have gone dodo on me.
Tetra Whisper 5 Power Filter
Seio 820
-not sure if I'll need this, but I'm gonna have alot of wood in there, so it's on hand. Its good to have heaps of aquarium hardware in storage.
250 watt Ebo-Jager Heater
10lb CO2 system with regulator and solenoid bubble counter with Milwaukee pH controller.
-This is from my calcium reactor off my reef.
- I picked up a ceramic diffuser but I'm still not sure what the best method is for this given the capacity of this system.
5 bags dark Seachem Flourite gravel
-Lookin to have 1.5 to 2 inches all around with a 3" slope in one corner.
Bog wood and branch wood (plan is to have a root scape with small fish)

The only thing I can tell you about my critter and plant list is that it will include all low maintinence and durable specimens.

Fish will include rainbows, tetras, corys ect...

I'll leave it up to you all to help me pick out plants that are durable and low maintinence. I'm not very familiar with the diversity of plants that are out there, but I've seen some awesome stuff on here.

I'll get some pics up once I get rolling.
02redz28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 AM   #2
RipariumGuy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Welcome to the forum Patrick! Your "record" is amazing. Spawning 35 African cichlids is impressive to say the least. The reefs where very nice as well.

Your plan sounds great! For lighting, may I suggest looking at Hoppy's "PC, vs T5, MH..." (Forgot the title, but it is like that...) thread in the "Lighting" section. You can use his info on PAR to find a good number of bulbs with reflectors for this setup.

I look forward to your progress!
Regards,
Jake
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
RipariumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
02redz28
Algae Grower

I'm officially back in the hobby! The cube is full and clearing up by the hour. I'll have pics in a little bit.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
02redz28
Algae Grower

Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
02redz28
Algae Grower

Tank is going through the tannin stage. Water changes are in order to reduce the tea like appearance.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
02redz28
Algae Grower

Added a few fish today.

4 black neon tetras (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)
4 glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erthrozonus)
1 1" leopard gourami (Ctenopoma acutirostre)
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
02redz28
Algae Grower

Fish are eating well and acting normally. They really appear to like the "black" water. Every other time I've had tetras in crystal clear water, they alway huddle together and dont move from cover. These are all over the tank chasing and playing in the plants and wood.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I'm worried that you didn't appear to give your tank time to cycle. Please make sure you check ammonia and nitrite levels daily and do water changes to correct any spikes. And/or add a large number of plants. But I do like the driftwood on the black flourite.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
02redz28
Algae Grower

I'm dosing Cycle and diluting the little ammonia and nitrite I'm reading on the tests with water changes.

The fish are small and durable and the volume is average. They will all make it.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
02redz28
Algae Grower

Tank is doing well. All the fish are thriving. Ammonia and Nitrite levels are minimal. Nitrate is beginning to show on the test kit. I'll get some pictures after my water change today. The tank still gets dark like coffee after only two days. Visibility is poor.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #11
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

Your ' leopard gourami' is actually a leaffish that is an ambush predator that will soon make a snake of your tetras. Cool fish if you decide to get same size fish.

Any pictures of the tank?
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
02redz28
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemman View Post
Your ' leopard gourami' is actually a leaffish that is an ambush predator that will soon make a snake of your tetras. Cool fish if you decide to get same size fish.

Any pictures of the tank?
I know what the "gourami" is. I did some research on him before my petsmart acquisition. lol... Common names are so random and useless. However, he's only an inch long and the tetra's arent in any danger at the moment. I figure I'll hold onto him till he gets large enough to start causing trouble and swap him out for something else.

I just did a 15 gallon water change an hour ago. Once it clears up, I'll snap some new pics and upload them.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
02redz28
Algae Grower

Its still really brown. Once I get this under control, I'm gonna start with the live plants.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #14
chris.rivera3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (134/100%)

just curious - you said the tank was 24x24x24 in the first post...isn't that 60 gallons?
chris.rivera3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
problemman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (43/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02redz28 View Post
I know what the "gourami" is. I did some research on him before my petsmart acquisition. lol... Common names are so random and useless. However, he's only an inch long and the tetra's arent in any danger at the moment. I figure I'll hold onto him till he gets large enough to start causing trouble and swap him out for something else.

I just did a 15 gallon water change an hour ago. Once it clears up, I'll snap some new pics and upload them.
Just wanted to make sure! Lol I want one myself
I sell plants but not green thumbs, sorry.
problemman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.