20# CO2 tank lasted 2 years on my 75 Gal.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

20# CO2 tank lasted 2 years on my 75 Gal.

My 20# tank of co2 lasted me 2 years on my 75 gal tank. That's unbelievable. I thought it was gonna last maybe a year. This is using a SMS122 milwaukee controller and a Milwaukee regulator/solenoid/needle valve setup. Surface agitition is minimal with just a slightly noticeable surface circulation. Anyone else have a similar experience?
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Well, my 5lb bottle lasted 9 months, so I guess a 20lb bottle would last me 3 years.

Sounds like you got shortchanged, Marcel!

Mike
Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 PM   #3
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

This is my first tank with CO2, so let me ask you guys sumpn. I've read that just before a tank goes empty that it can dump the remaining CO2 and maybe kill all of your fish if you tank is covered tightly (mine is), true or false. Also do you let your tanks run out or at what pressure do you get a refill? My tank pressue gauge reads in bars (1 bar = about 14.6 psi) and my lower pressure side has no gauge but is a fixed pressure of no more than one bar, that is controlled by a needle valve. I don't see how it could dump any more than the needle valve allows.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

2 Years! Brilliant!

I'm definitely going for more girth next time around. A 5lb bottle lasts 6 months on my 46 gal. You two mods care to mention your bubble count ?

[as I understand] The 'dump' can happen only if you try to squeeze every drop out of the tank, and even then, there's no guarantee you would experience this. What happens is that the liquid CO2 is reduced to a small enough quantity that there is enough 'space' (ie, lack of pressure) inside the bottle for the small amount of liquid to quickly change into gas form. This, in-turn, creates a sudden surge of pressure on the regulator. Regs and needle valves are designed to allow a certain amount of gas to pass through with respect to a given pressure (there are upper and lower limits, of course). Increase the pressure in the bottle and air will escape faster. What makes the whole thing function so smoothly is the constant pressure of the bottle. But as I said, all bets (for constant pressure) are off when the bottle gets low.

You can tell when your getting low by keeping an eye on the HIGH pressure guage. When it starts to drop, you have a few weeks left. I never procrastinate once I see this (so, I've never given my CO2 bottle a chance to 'dump'). CO2 is dirt cheap.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

From what i've heard, only the cheaper CO2 regulators will allow a dump. The JBJ's and Milwaukee units are designed for our use...but a beveridge grade regulator without a needle valve (or a cheap needle valve) will most assuradly 'dump' at the end.
I know my milwaukee didn't dump when my 5lb tank finally was empty.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
Well, my 5lb bottle lasted 9 months, so I guess a 20lb bottle would last me 3 years.

Sounds like you got shortchanged, Marcel!

Mike
Actually I did get shortchanged, I discovered a leak near the bubble counter that I suspect has been there for quite some time. The bubble counter had a crack near the bottom where it threads into the needle valve I probably lost about a third of the co2 from there I guestimate.

As far as CO2 dumping at the end of the tank, it never happened. Even if the regulator did dump CO2, the solenoid won't allow it to go into the tank till the Controller calls for more CO2,then it would simply allow some CO2 into the water until it reached the setpoint and click off again. To that end , I'm not sure that the regulator didn't dump, but I know that the solenoid won't allow it to get into the reactor until the controller calls for more CO2. This reason alone is a good reason to get a controller and a solenoid.

Bubble count.... who knows, I don't pay that much attention to it ,I set it so that its on for 5-10 minutes and shuts off when the controller tells it to.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:32 PM   #7
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have a 25lb tank on my 75 with a sms 122 , my dad had it before me for weilding purposes but it's still got 900psi in a 60 degree basement.. i think i still have time left on it
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2004, 08:53 PM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I need to get a new bubble counter for my Milwaukee setup, does anyone know if I can get a new one from Milwaukee? Does anyone have contact info for Milwaukee?

I thought I saw some contact info somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 12-22-2004, 02:12 AM   #9
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Milwaukee:

877.283.7837 (Toll free)
milwaukee@vol.com

Mike
Old 12-22-2004, 03:40 AM   #10
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thanks, I guess according to that info and the original post I'll keep a close eye on mine after 6 months or so.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.